Jump to content
  • Create Account

Twins Minor League Report (5/18): Enlow Sets Career High


Minnesota Twins affiliates all scored first in their respective games on Tuesday night, but only two of them were able to hold onto those leads thanks to standout performances from a few players. A top pitching prospect set a career high in strikeouts and a hitter had his first multi-home run game in Cedar Rapids, and multiple hitters in Fort Myers stood out in an all-around team effort.

To find out how all of your favorite Twins prospects and teams performed on Tuesday night, keep reading!

TRANSACTIONS

  • The Minnesota Twins recalled pitchers Cody Stashak and Bailey Ober, with the latter making his MLB debut filling in for Michael Pineda.
  • Pitcher Jhoan Duran was activated from the disabled list with the St. Paul Saints. Reliever Glenn Sparkman was released.
  • In double-A RHP Chris Vallimont was activated from the disabled list and RHP Brandon Koch was assigned to Wichita from Cedar Rapids.
  • Catcher Nick Garland was assigned to the Mighty Mussels from the Wind Surge, and LHP Zarion Sharpe was assigned from the GCL Twins and made his 2021 debut in their game.
     

SAINTS SENTINEL
Indianapolis 7, St. Paul 3
Box Score

The Saints would strike first in opening frame, as Nick Gordon led off the bottom of the first with a single and would score on a Brent Rooker groundout for a 1-0 lead. The Indians were quick to get those back, and more however, in the second and third innings against starter Griffin Jax.

They got four in the second and three in the third to take a 7-1 lead. Despite that, Jax did settle in and finish five innings. In all he allowed seven earned runs on nine hits and a walk while striking out five. Ian Hamilton and Danny Coulombe each pitched two scoreless innings to finish the game. Coulombe struck out five of the eight hitters he faced.

While St. Paul was only outhit 11-10, they only managed one extra-base-hit and were 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position. Indianapolis on the other hand got three doubles and were 4-for-4 in run-scoring situations.

Gordon (2-for-2, R), Tomas Telis (2-for-3, BB), and Keon Broxton (2-for-4, R, 2B, K, SB) had multiple hit nights. Gordon was removed from the game in the fourth inning though no reason was given at the time of this writing.

WIND SURGE WISDOM
Wichita 3, Tulsa 12
Box Score

While the Wind Surge jumped out to a 2-0 lead after the top of the first thanks to RBI doubles from Jose Miranda and Mark Contreras, the Drillers were quick to punch a hole into their hopes in this one. They got to starter Austin Schulfer for eight runs in the bottom of the third and never looked back, adding two more runs in each of the fourth and sixth innings for final score of 12-3.

Schulfer finished 2 2/3, allowing those eight runs (7 earned) on seven hits and two walks. He struck out two. The worst part about that big inning, was all eight runs scored after there were two outs and only a runner on first base. Dakota Chalmers went the next 2 1/3, allowing a two-run homer in the fourth. He walked two and struck out two. Calvin Faucher pitched the sixth and seventh innings and allowed the final two runs on two hits and a walk while striking out two. Hector Lujan finished the game for Wichita with a scoreless inning.

Coming into the game the Wind Surge lineup was leading the league in batting average but managed just six hits in this one. They were just 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base. Second baseman Peter Mooney went 2-for-5 in the losing effort and Jermaine Palacios’ eleven game hitting streak to open the season came to an end.

KERNELS NUGGETS
Beloit 2, Cedar Rapids 4
Box Score

Starting pitcher Blayne Enlow was a standout in this one, as he delivered perhaps one of the best starts of his career for the Kernels to pick up his first win of the season. While it was only 5 2/3 innings, he set a new career high for strikeouts in a game with 10. He allowed just one earned run on three hits and three walks. In the outing he threw 83 pitches (52 for strikes) and got 15 swings and misses.


Catcher Jair Camargo would give Enlow and the rest of the Cedar Rapids pitchers all the run support they would need on his own, as he delivered the first multi-home-run game of his career, both solo shots. The first came in the bottom of the second to give the Kernels a 1-0 lead, and the second came in the sixth to make it 4-1. In between his blasts Matt Wallner and Michael Helman also delivered solo home runs, accounting for all the home team’s scoring. Wallner’s was his third of the season, Helman’s his second. Camargo would finish the game 3-for-4, and Spencer Steer (2-for-4, 2B, K) and Gabe Snyder (2-for-4, K) would also collect multiple hits.


Jordan Gore came on in relief of Enlow in the sixth and would go the next 2 1/3. The former infielder allowed one run on three hits while striking out four and displaying mid-90’s velocity on the mound. Owen Griffith came on for the ninth and made it a little interesting with a pair of walks to start the inning, but Camargo helped him out by picking off one of those runners at first base for the first out (his second pickoff of the game). He would settle down and get a strikeout and easy ground ball to record his first save of the year.

MUSSEL MATTERS
Fort Myers 8, Tampa 2
Box Score

Fort Myers scored almost immediately as consecutive singles from Misael Urbina and Edouard Julien led off the game. Urbina would score on a double-play grounder from Keoni Cavaco for a 1-0 lead after three hitters. It would remain that way until the top of the fifth when the Mighty Mussels took advantage of three walks and three RBI singles from Anthony Prato, Urbina, and Julien to make it 4-0. Charles Mack would add another tally in the sixth with his first home run of season.

Righthander Regi Grace made the start for Fort Myers and held the Tampa lineup scoreless in his five innings. He allowed one hit, walked three, and struck out five. He threw 74 pitches with 44 of them going for strikes (59.5%), including 11 swinging. Two of those free passes came in his final inning as he neared his pitch limit.

The Tarpons finally got on the board when the Mighty Mussels bullpen was summoned for the sixth. Zarion Sharpe was the pitcher, and he actually got three outs before a run was scored, but because the third out came on a wild-pitch strikeout the inning was extended. What followed was an RBI double and RBI single before Ryan Shreve was summoned to get the fourth out and end the threat. Shreve would go the next two innings in addition, allowing one hit, walking two, and striking out two. Osiris German would finish the game with a scoreless ninth, striking out one.

Fort Myers would tack on more runs in the final two innings, with Willie Joe Garry Jr delivering a run scoring single in the eighth, and Kyle Schmidt a two-RBI double in the ninth. There were multi-hit efforts from Urbina (2-for-5, R, RBI, 2 K), Julien (4-for-4, R RBI, BB, 3 SB), and Prato (2-for-5, R, RBI, K). All hitters in the lineup except Cavaco scored a run in this one and they drew nine walks in addition to their 11 hits.

TWINS DAILY MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS OF THE DAY

Pitcher of the Day – Blayne Enlow, Cedar Rapids Kernels (W, 5.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 10 K)
Hitter of the Day – Jair Camargo, Cedar Rapids Kernels (3-for-4, 2 HR (2), K)

PROSPECT SUMMARY

Here’s a look at how the Twins Daily Top 20 Twins Prospects performed:

#1 - Alex Kirilloff (Minnesota) – Injured List (wrist)
#2 - Royce Lewis (Rehab) - Out for Season (torn ACL)
#3 - Trevor Larnach (Minnesota) – 1-for-3, K
#4 - Ryan Jeffers (St. Paul) – 0-for-4, K
#5 - Jhoan Duran (St. Paul) – Did not pitch
#6 - Jordan Balazovic (Wichita) – Injured List (back)
#7 - Keoni Cavaco (Fort Myers) – 0-for-4, BB, 2 K
#8 - Aaron Sabato (Fort Myers) – 0-for-4, R, 3 K
#9 - Matt Canterino (Cedar Rapids) – Did not pitch
#10 - Blayne Enlow (Cedar Rapids) – W, 5.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 10 K
#11 - Gilberto Celestino (Wichita) – 0-for-4, R, BB
#12 - Brent Rooker (St. Paul) – 0-for-4, SF, 2 RBI, 2 K
#13 - Matt Wallner (Cedar Rapids) – 1-for-4, HR (3), K
#14 - Misael Urbina (Fort Myers) – 2-for-5, R, RBI, 2 K
#15 - Cole Sands (Wichita) – Did not pitch
#16 - Edwar Colina (Rehab) - 60-Day IL (elbow)
#17 - Ben Rortvedt (Minnesota) – 1-for-3
#18 - Alerick Soularie (Complex) – N/A
#19 - Jose Miranda (Wichita) – 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, K
#20 - Bailey Ober (Minnesota) – 4.0 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, BB, 4 K (MLB debut)

WEDNESDAY’S PROBABLE STARTERS

Indianapolis @ St. Paul (7:05PM CST) – RHP Chandler Shepherd (0-1, 9.82 ERA)
Wichita @ Tulsa (12:05PM CST) – RHP Josh Winder (1-0, 1.17 ERA)
Beloit @ Cedar Rapids (6:35PM CST) – RHP Tyler Beck (1-0, 1.17 ERA)
Fort Myers @ Tampa (5:30PM CST) – LHP Brent Headrick (1-0, 1.13 ERA)

Please feel free to ask questions and discuss Tuesday’s games! 


View full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

Steve:  Another nice report on results from our affiliates tonight.  Pretty gruesome to see Surge allow 8 runs after 2 were out.  On the flip side, the performance of Enlow tonight was very encouraging.  I'd like to think if he can string a few more solid starts together, he'll be promoted to Wichita by early June.  Have tickets for games June 15-16 in Wichita (road trip from KC area) it would be great to see Enlow and/or Josh Winder pitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enlow is looking like he needs to move up a level.  He was outstanding last night.  I knew he was a big kid but he looks like a monster out there.  He still has his control problems from time to time but he looks dialed in right now.

I questioned the Twins when they got Camargo in that trade with the Dodgers.  Last night had to be what they envisioned he could be especially with the exit velocities he put up even before they acquired him. I still don't like his K rate and the lack of walks.  He will need better plate discipline to be truly successful or pitchers will never need to throw him strikes or good pitches.  That being said being he is a catcher and if he keeps putting balls in the seats then he might move up anyway.  It was a good game for him though and I hope he continues to perform well.

Just after saying Julien K's too much he goes out and has a 4 for 4 night with a walk and no K's.  I think this guy is going to be a stud hitter.  His eye looks good all he needs to work on is making contact more consistently.  I know he doesn't really have a position and so defense is something he could stand to work on but he looks solid as a hitter to me.  He might turn out to be a heck of a pickup in the 18th round for the Twins.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After watching Jax pitch a wonderful game last time out, the results last night were disappointing.  Hopefully, he will get back with a good game next time out.

Great seeing Enlow getting 10 K's.  Recall many wondering why the kid with the best curve in his draft class not getting many previously.  And Urbina and Julien sure are becoming beasts at the top of the Fort Myers lineup.  Will continue to hope that Urbina becomes that quick moving stud who joins the Twins late next year when he is only 20 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Twinfan603 said:

Not to be neurotic, but when is it time to worry about Sabato? How is a 1st round hitter out of college having so much trouble at Low A? 45 AB is a sss for sure, but he's striking out over 50% of the time.

Not very excited about any of the three early round DH-type college bats (Rooker, Wallner, Sabato) taken by this front office right now.  All of them strike out too much.  

We've seen Rooker get pretty exposed against MLB already.  I have a hard time believing Wallner or Sabato will fare any better given the amount of swing and miss in A ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brian Dinkelman on Blayne Enlow last night: "Enlow was good tonight. He had multiple pitches working. He had a bunch of strikeouts which is good and something we are hoping from him. It was a good night from him, his fastball, cutter and slider were working. To see him punch out 10 and make it deeper in the game is good." 

Dinkelman on Enlow: "Attacking the zone. Working quick like he usually does. I think he's just maturing now, third or fourth year. He's just becoming a better baseball player." 

Dinkelman on Camargo: "I think tonight you saw the complete package. Hit a couple balls hard for home runs. Did a good job behind the plate. Threw out a couple of runners with the back picks at first with the arm strength. I think all the tools are there for a complete catcher. If he can keep it up, especially with his age, you never know." 

Dinkelman on if the Blues have a chance without David Perron in the lineup: "It's going to be tough especially in Colorado. They've got top liners that's really good, so hopefully they can pull one out tomorrow night and get back into the series." 

Blayne Enlow: "Everything was working. Changeup was pretty good, which I normally don't have, and I had it in zones and counts that I normally don't put it in. Got some swings and misses. Also the curveball, the curveballs been great. Also, I've been getting ahead on guys. That's the biggest thing is strike one. And if I get behind, you're not going to get a fastball, you're going to get something else because I've got three other pitches that I can throw in the zone. "

 

After the game, Enlow referenced the conversation we had on Twins Spotlight about how much he worked on his mental health. "I just think I'm the best person out there. You don't have a chance to beat me as a hitter. That's every hitter. I don't care who you are. Even Mike Trout, I'm coming at you with my best stuff every time." 

 Enlow on Akil Baddoo: "That is literally one of my best friends. It's amazing seeing him. He balls out. Hits a home run on his first pitch. Hits a grand slam. Then hits a walk-off against the Twins. You can't make that up. I was so fired up! I'm happy for my boy. We grinded for four years together. We were roommates. He had TJ. The whole year, I saw what he went through. Seeing him ball out... there's nothing better. Nothing!" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Twinfan603 said:

Not to be neurotic, but when is it time to worry about Sabato? How is a 1st round hitter out of college having so much trouble at Low A? 45 AB is a sss for sure, but he's striking out over 50% of the time.

That's understandable, but my thought is... it isn't.  Now this time next season, I might raise the eyebrows a little, but as of now it's just "Welcome to pro ball kid.  Watch, learn, adjust."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2wins87 said:

Not very excited about any of the three early round DH-type college bats (Rooker, Wallner, Sabato) taken by this front office right now.  All of them strike out too much.  

We've seen Rooker get pretty exposed against MLB already.  I have a hard time believing Wallner or Sabato will fare any better given the amount of swing and miss in A ball.

I have been feeling the same way.  Too early to call Wallner and Sabato, Rooker clones but it is concerning to me as well.  I get that the math on hard hit rate makes it more likely to get hits and extra base hits at that but if you don't hit the ball at all or have competitive at bats I think that is an issue as well. Kirilloff and Larnach always had good contact skills and I think that is what they should have been looking at more when making those picks although Sabato was supposed to be a pretty complete hitter but lots of the younger guys look better than him right now.  If he doesn't pull out of it in the next couple of weeks I would move him down and put more deserving players in that spot.  HIs K rate is outrageous for his age at that level.  At some point an approach change is needed because not even contacting the ball is a real problem for a hitter.  It has only been a few weeks though so need to give them time but I have say I am disappointed in Sabato and Rooker the most right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2021 at 9:29 AM, Seth Stohs said:

Brian Dinkelman on Blayne Enlow last night: "Enlow was good tonight. He had multiple pitches working. He had a bunch of strikeouts which is good and something we are hoping from him. It was a good night from him, his fastball, cutter and slider were working. To see him punch out 10 and make it deeper in the game is good." 

Dinkelman on Enlow: "Attacking the zone. Working quick like he usually does. I think he's just maturing now, third or fourth year. He's just becoming a better baseball player." 

Dinkelman on Camargo: "I think tonight you saw the complete package. Hit a couple balls hard for home runs. Did a good job behind the plate. Threw out a couple of runners with the back picks at first with the arm strength. I think all the tools are there for a complete catcher. If he can keep it up, especially with his age, you never know." 

Dinkelman on if the Blues have a chance without David Perron in the lineup: "It's going to be tough especially in Colorado. They've got top liners that's really good, so hopefully they can pull one out tomorrow night and get back into the series." 

Blayne Enlow: "Everything was working. Changeup was pretty good, which I normally don't have, and I had it in zones and counts that I normally don't put it in. Got some swings and misses. Also the curveball, the curveballs been great. Also, I've been getting ahead on guys. That's the biggest thing is strike one. And if I get behind, you're not going to get a fastball, you're going to get something else because I've got three other pitches that I can throw in the zone. "

 

After the game, Enlow referenced the conversation we had on Twins Spotlight about how much he worked on his mental health. "I just think I'm the best person out there. You don't have a chance to beat me as a hitter. That's every hitter. I don't care who you are. Even Mike Trout, I'm coming at you with my best stuff every time." 

 Enlow on Akil Baddoo: "That is literally one of my best friends. It's amazing seeing him. He balls out. Hits a home run on his first pitch. Hits a grand slam. Then hits a walk-off against the Twins. You can't make that up. I was so fired up! I'm happy for my boy. We grinded for four years together. We were roommates. He had TJ. The whole year, I saw what he went through. Seeing him ball out... there's nothing better. Nothing!" 

I would think pretty much everyone has to *look up* to Ober right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...