• Create Account

Buxton to the IL, Larnach added, Waddell DFA

17 hours ago, stringer bell said:

Cave started very slowly in 2019, but was one of the Twins' best hitters in the second half of the season. In his first 87 PAs in 2019, Cave hit .176 with a .542 OPS comparable to this year. He hit over .300 the rest of the way with a .964 OPS. 

Since Cave is a singles hitter, his batting average needs to be 100 points higher for him to be deserving as a back-up #8 or #9 guy in the batting order.  As a poor defender, a long-term back-up role isn't in his future.

If Cave wants to aim higher and stick in the majors as a starter, he needs to start batting .300.  It is not impossible that this will happen. but he is running out of time.  And do the Twins really want a spot reserved for a poor defender in the outfield for a singles hitter?

Cave is who he is now, probably not going to develop into a above average fielder or high average hitter at this point in career. Twins have players on the way up, will see how Larnach does the next couple of weeks, Kirilloff looks ready if healthy. I like Garlick as RH bat against LH pitching. I would like to see Kirilloff, Buxton, Kepler, Larnach, Garlick rotating in OF, with Kirilloff at 1B for Sano 1-2/week, and maybe rest Cruz once a week.

I think 4twins JA has the right idea. The idea is to play Kirilloff and Larnach as much as we can to see what they can do. I do like the idea of having Garlick around to play against LH pitching. I think when Arraez gets back he is going to need some outfield days since it looks like Polanco is heating up and showing us he can actually hit. I would like to see Kepler play CF more so we can get other guys in the lineup in the corner outfield spots. If we don't want to do that, then I think we need to get Broxton up to the majors instead of Cave and play him in centerfield and also add another right-handed bat. That would wind up being at the expense of some advanced for Kepler and Larnach down the road. Cave can go down to AAA and see if he can refine his stroke. It doesn't look like were going anywhere this season so we might as well find out whether the guys we have can play.

So much for the "Trade Buxton" thread. Anyone could see this coming. I didn't think it would be so soon. Buxton is simply too fragile for his style of play. If he did continue his offensive performance (doubtful) he should be moved to left or right field to try to eliminate the extra dangers in center.

1 hour ago, Number3 said:

So much for the "Trade Buxton" thread. Anyone could see this coming. I didn't think it would be so soon. Buxton is simply too fragile for his style of play. If he did continue his offensive performance (doubtful) he should be moved to left or right field to try to eliminate the extra dangers in center.

I thought he injured himself this time running to 1B.