• Create Account

I agree. Shoemaker has little to no value to the team or in trade as a starter. He MIGHT be able to develop some value in the bullpen. I say put him in BP, give him a shot, and see what happens before DFA time. It couldn't get much worse out there and he might adapt. I also wouldn't give up yet on Kepler or Polanco but might consider moving Kepler for a big return that's unlikely to be there. Sano? It looks over for him in MN. A real shame. 

Thoughtful rankings! I'm with you that they wouldn't unload ALL those guys -- I would think the guys still under contract for next year will stay, especially Garver, since he's more difficult to replace now that he's starting to hit a little, and Jeffers struggled before being sent down. But all the pending free agents you listed as being traded are really likely to be gone if the Twins are still this bad in July.

2 hours ago, Cormac McCarthy said:

Thoughtful rankings! I'm with you that they wouldn't unload ALL those guys -- I would think the guys still under contract for next year will stay, especially Garver, since he's more difficult to replace now that he's starting to hit a little, and Jeffers struggled before being sent down. But all the pending free agents you listed as being traded are really likely to be gone if the Twins are still this bad in July.

Agreed. It’s hard to know what they’ll do with the guys with > this year yet. I think the twins FO is pretty bullish on Jeffers, and I don’t blame them. Trading garver for a good return and getting Jeffers everyday at bats would be a net positive, imo. I do think if the twins got any sort of “good” offer on sano they would accept it and not think twice. Maybe an NL team that wants him as a bench bat and a potential DH for next season will come calling. I don’t think we see a Kepler, Polo, Buxton, or Berrios move until the offseason, if at all. 

19 hours ago, Rosterman said:

Sano is worthless, but a gamble if a team would trade for him. If the Twins designated him for assignment, I do see someone taking a chance and absorbing his salary.

I don’t think the Twins would have any leverage to ask other teams to absorb much of Sano’s salary, in that case. And if the Twins are DFAing Sano, that means he’s nearly unplayable at the MLB level, so any interested teams would probably prefer he clears waivers first before trying to sign him on a minor league deal with an opt-out date. (Trading for him or claiming him off waivers would make another team responsible for his salary and preclude the possibility of any minor league assignment.)