• Create Account

Like Kirby Yates or Trevor Rosenthal?

I don't disagree with your premise about Colome but signing "high upside FAs" in the bullpen is not quite as simple as you make it sound, even if you're willing to spend. The bet on Robles has looked decent so far, fwiw.

OK touche Nick!  Yates or Rosenthal were two of my preseason choices and both are on the IR list.  Colome looked like a reasonably priced FA addition but living here in Chicago, it did not take a tech genius to see he was running thru raindrops on almost every occasion.  The Sox were going for the brass ring so they went for the BPA in Hendriks.  The Twins not so much.  Many of us on TD pointed out the biggest weakness going into the offseason was the BP - and it still is.  Guys like Kennedy and Melancon were available, not to mention the ill-advised moves to trade Pressley, and dump Nick Anderson.  

My biggest problem with this FO is they generally nibble around the edges rather than go after difference makers.  And that's a shame, because the window is still wide open.  If the team is still in contention come July, will they change their MO and actually make significant additions.  They never have in 4 years.

Again, I'm a huge Kirilloff fan like everyone else but just wanted to point this out:

It's worth noting that Kirilloff had no other hits in his 12 at-bats this weekend beyond the home runs, and he posted a 1:6 BB:K in the series. He's now sporting a .184 average, .200 on-base percentage, 2.6 percent walk rate and 30 percent strikeout rate on the season.

Yes we should be encouraged. But let's keep things realistic. He could go 2 weeks before his next home run - let's hope he's able to get some singles and doubles to fall and start walking as well. He's still a rookie.

We could go a couple of weeks without another homer but since his callup, Kirilloff has been crushing the ball. His first week+ was wildly unlucky. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he may not hit homers but he'll be racking up doubles and hard-hit singles.

As for walks, I don't expect a lot of discipline to start off, maybe even for the entire season. But he's not an undisciplined hitter and has good contact ability so those numbers should trend slightly in a more positive direction.

I was going to comment that the Twins probably send down Dobnak to get a start or two before having him replace Shoemaker. Good to hear the Twins are already on this.

It seems like I am in the minority here, but I would much rather hand the keys to Dobnak vs Thorpe as a permanent replacement. Track record means a lot more to a team like the Twins. 

I will not argue upside being in Dobnak's favor, but the data suggests the floor for Dobnak is MUCH higher at this stage. 

What track record are you talking about? What made you think or what data suggests the floor for Dobnak is MUCH higher at this stage? I am lost.

My biggest problem with this FO is they generally nibble around the edges rather than go after difference makers.  And that's a shame, because the window is still wide open.  If the team is still in contention come July, will they change their MO and actually make significant additions.  They never have in 4 years.

They did sign Addison Reed to a $16 million deal – a free agent bullpen investment that is entirely unprecedented before or since for this franchise. He was a complete bust. Another example of the folly of free agent relievers. 

They did a very nice job building their bullpen last season. This year the opposite's been true, and they definitely need to take action on it before things unravel. Monday's game made that clearer than ever. 

They did sign Addison Reed to a $16 million deal – a free agent bullpen investment that is entirely unprecedented before or since for this franchise. He was a complete bust. Another example of the folly of free agent relievers.

They did a very nice job building their bullpen last season. This year the opposite's been true, and they definitely need to take action on it before things unravel. Monday's game made that clearer than ever.

Signing relievers is *very* hard and money isn’t necessarily the cure for risk. Look at Craig Kimbrel, as low risk a signing as you can get from a performance standpoint. He’s been good this season but has largely been a dumpster fire since being signed for significant money.

Even Hendricks has only been “fine” for the White Sox this season, pitching to a 4.6 FIP. I’m sure he’ll be good again but already has a few blown saves and the White Sox aren’t paying him to be “fine”.