• Create Account

GAME THREAD 4/27/2021: Twins @ Indians 5:10 CDT

This has been a tough stretch of games to watch. An anemic offense, a horrendous bullpen, a COVID outbreak.... what's more to love? What does this team need to succeed? We just have to remember: Season is not over.... yet. 

2011 was a bad year as a Twins fan. After a great 2010 opening season at Target Field, the team fell flat. Cuddyer was the strongest hitter in a sea of bad players: Luke Hughes, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Matt Tolbert, Rene Tosoni, Jason Repko, Drew Butera, Brian Dinkelman.... yeesh. Mauer and Morneau are not right. Joe Nathan and Matt Capps were both bad. A lot of talent severely underperformed, but there were also some bad players forced to be up for significant time. This team CANNOT let these losses drag their play further into the dumps. I don't know what it's going to take. Can Gardy come back to give some speeches? As a fan, it's been hard to watch. Not just that the team is losing, but of all the heartbreakers, including last night. I'd like to see some enthusiasm tonight in a Twins win tonight.

Twins

1. Luis Arraez 2B
2. Josh Donaldson 3B
3. Byron Buxton CF
4. Nelson Cruz DH
5. Alex Kirilloff LF
6. Willians Astudillo 1B
7. Jake Cave RF
8. Mitch Garver C
9. Andrelton Simmons SS

Starting Pitcher : Kenta Maeda

Indians

1. Cesar Hernandez 2B
2. Jordan Luplow CF
3. Jose Ramirez 3B
4. Eddie Rosario LF
5. Franmil Reyes DH
6. Josh Naylor RF
7. Jake Bauers 1B
8. Roberto Perez C
9. Andres Gimenez SS

Starting Pitcher : Aaron Civale

Interesting things in the lineup. 

Arraez getting the start at second with Polanco on the bench.  Day off for Polanco, or a signal that Arraez might now be becoming the starter at second, with Polanco in more of a utility spot (for the record, I argued for this alignment from the instant we signed Simmons).

Buxton back--apparently the Twins have accomplished a great leap forward in sports medicine, and cured patellar tendinitis in one day.  Sarcasm aside, this suggests a level of panic within the organization; this team was built to withstand multiple injuries, crank out solidly above average lineups, and grind other teams into dust as the season progressed.  Bringing Buxton back after only one day off makes it seem like the team is desperate to get wins, and is willing to sacrifice the big picture to do it.

Is 9-5 the best lineup we've been able to put out all year?  If so, wouldn't it make more sense to bat Simmons 6th, and get him the extra PA before Willians, Mitch, and Jake?

Is 9-5 the best lineup we've been able to put out all year?  If so, wouldn't it make more sense to bat Simmons 6th, and get him the extra PA before Willians, Mitch, and Jake?

I am guessing Simmons will get more PAs after a few days. The COVID time off of seeing pitchers is definitely a big factor

If Baldelli was going to play Buxton today, why wouldn’t he pinch run Buxton for Astudillo in the 10th yesterday? Today he will ask Buxton to do what he wasn’t willing to have Buxton do 21 hours earlier?

In hindsight, there’s a very high probability it wouldn’t have mattered. Still, it’s another thing that has me scratching my head. And FWIW...did anyone else notice Colume watching the baserunner dance off second base as he was beginning to deliver the home run pitch belt high over the middle of the plate?

I could ask for 2019 Sano, Polanco, Kepler, and Garver.  But outside of maybe Sano, I think all those guys are gone.

I actually feel that Polanco is far and away the most likely member of that group who will come back to help this team offensively. Just my take.

Ehh, I wouldn't classify that as a TOOTBLAN, personally. I like the aggressive baserunning with two outs, especially with how challenged their bats have been lately.

Everyone and their mom knew Eddie would hose someone out right there...well...everyone but Alex Kiriloff and Tommy Watkins

Featured Video