Twins Daily
  • Create Account

SATURDAY'S (4/17) TWINS GAME POSTPONED

USAFChief

This is not political. This is fact-based medicine.

Vaccines are beneficial. Vaccines are important. Vaccines are necessary. Not being vaccinated is inconsiderate at best. Not being vaccinated is negligent. Using "personal beliefs" as a "reason" not to be vaccinated is not the best way forward, imo.

This applies to everyone.

There is a covid thread in the Sports Bar forum this post could go in ... just saying, before this becomes a full-blown covid debate. And before it does, let me remind everyone ... half-truths, misinformation, unsupported claims ... will be removed. And calling people ignorant is not acceptable.

But back to the Twins, I read earlier today that someone else on the team had tested positive yesterday and I wondered ... could it be Buxton? He didn't play and his locker is next to Simmons'. I thought we were over this hurdle of understanding contagion. Guess not. Like shortround81 above ... I'm bitter.

Vaccines are beneficial. Vaccines are important. Vaccines are necessary. Not being vaccinated is inconsiderate at best. Not being vaccinated is negligent. Using "personal beliefs" as a "reason" not to be vaccinated is a sign of ignorance.

Im not getting vaccinated, period. And my health info is private and nobody’s business

Im not getting vaccinated, period. And my health info is private and nobody’s business

Then why tell us all here what you plan to do, or rather, not to do, about your health? If it's private, then don't discuss it. At all.

I'm gonna keep saying it ... keep it civil, keep it focused as it pertains to the Twins, not one another. This is not a covid discussion or debate.

This is the announcement on the Twins website:

"Saturday night's scheduled game between the host Los Angeles Angels and the Minnesota Twins at Angel Stadium has been postponed to allow for continued testing and contact tracing involving members of the Twins organization. Major League Baseball will continue to provide updates as available."

This season is starting to feel like it wasn't mean't to be the Twins' year. Donaldson hurt the first game, Buxton being out for extended periods of time when he's off to his best ever start, COVID running rampant. oh well

Theyare trying to work through a difficult situation, we all are

Vaccines are beneficial. Vaccines are important. Vaccines are necessary. Not being vaccinated is inconsiderate at best. Not being vaccinated is negligent. Using "personal beliefs" as a "reason" not to be vaccinated is a sign of ignorance.

I think some people's causes of concern about a vaccine that was produced this quickly are valid. Especially since it seems like everyday there is news about different variants of COVID, the need for a 3rd booster shot (or even more), and the recent J&J vaccine news. Telling people that their concerns are based in ignorance is not going to help at all. 

This stinks. Whatever your thoughts are on covid or the vaccine, I think we could all use some baseball. Hopefully it turns out to be Garlick and the staffer only, and we play tomorrow, but I’m not raising my hopes at all. It is worth noting that Garlick did receive the JJ vaccine last Thursday.

I think some people's causes of concern about a vaccine that was produced this quickly are valid. Especially since it seems like everyday there is news about different variants of COVID, the need for a 3rd booster shot (or even more), and the recent J&J vaccine news. Telling people that their concerns are based in ignorance is not going to help at all.

Thank you

This stinks. Whatever your thoughts are on covid or the vaccine, I think we could all use some baseball. Hopefully it turns out to be Garlick and the staffer only, and we play tomorrow, but I’m not raising my hopes at all. It is worth noting that Garlick did receive the JJ vaccine last Thursday.

Did you see an announcement that Garlick is the new covid positive player?

Kyle Garlick out with Covid and who knows who else. The Astros put something like five key players out and their young bucks get a chance. The Twins need to roll with whomever is next. It's a bummer but life goes forward. Covid is not insurmountable and wearing masks, taking care of each other,  paying attention to crowds and staying attuned to your health is important. Let's hope everyone recovers quickly without any complications due to the virus and that the season remains on schedule. I'm optimistic that with care all businesses can remain open and operational in a positive manner, even if full capacity is still a few months off. 

So do they put all players who test positive on the 10 day IL

I'd have to read up, but I think there is a special covid IL protocol separate from injuries, but I don't recall all the details, but the short answer is yes, but I don't think it's 10 days.

EDIT: It's a minimum of 10 days - "• Individuals who test positive will be required to isolate for a minimum of 10 days, receive appropriate care and monitoring from the Club medical staff, and be cleared by the Joint Committee and the individual’s team physician, following a mandatory cardiac evaluation and a determination that the individual no longer presents a risk of infection to others."

Paragraph lifted from here: https://www.mlb.com/news/health-and-safety-protocols-for-2021-mlb-season

And there's more in there about replacing players on the Covid IL

I'd have to read up, but I think there is a special covid IL protocol separate from injuries, but I don't recall all the details, but the short answer is yes, but I don't think it's 10 days.

EDIT: It's a minimum of 10 days - "• Individuals who test positive will be required to isolate for a minimum of 10 days, receive appropriate care and monitoring from the Club medical staff, and be cleared by the Joint Committee and the individual’s team physician, following a mandatory cardiac evaluation and a determination that the individual no longer presents a risk of infection to others."

Paragraph lifted from here: https://www.mlb.com/news/health-and-safety-protocols-for-2021-mlb-season

And there's more in there about replacing players on the Covid IL

thanks

Dan Gladden and Justin Morneau

depends on positions obviously...we know that the move was Rooker for Garlick...if it's another OF that isn't Buxton I would assume AK...if it's Buxton I would assume Keon Broxton. IF is anyones guess, probably Blackenhorn. Pitcher is probably Law/Waddle/Thorpe

I believe replacements/call-ups do not have to be on the 40-roster.

If the league defines it as an outbreak, technically any call-ups will be added to the 40-man in place of the COVID IL players. But those players won’t have to be optioned or waived to be taken off the 40-man when the COVID IL guys are activated.

But, that’s only if MLB calls this an “outbreak”. Not sure if 2 (Simmons and Garlick) would meet that threshold. Single cases haven’t so far in 2021.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/3/31/22359475/reminder-on-2021-mlb-playing-rules-and-covid-protocols

Special roster rules for clubs experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak: We saw last season that clubs were required to make roster moves to accommodate players returning from the COVID-19 Related IL. In a serious situation like the Cardinals experienced last season, we saw the club fill the 40-man and active rosters with players that would not have been there otherwise. Then, when the players were activated from the COVID-19 Related IL, the club had to designate players for assignment, ultimately place players on outright assignment waivers, and outright them to the minor leagues. For 2021, if a club experiences a COVID-19 outbreak, the rules will be relaxed to allow the club to temporarily place new players on the 40-man and active rosters and then take them off without the need to place the players on waivers and either outright or option them when the players are activated from the COVID-19 Related IL. Note the term “outbreak,” which is not defined, but so far, that rule has not applied in a situation where just one player is affected. Already, we’ve seen the Cubs have to clear a 40-man roster spot when reliever Kyle Ryan was activated from the COVID-19 Related IL in spring training and Ryan didn’t even make the opening day roster. And the Reds will have to clear a 40-man roster spot when Joey Votto is activated shortly.

Looks like the Washington Nationals added one non-40 man roster guy during their COVID outbreak earlier this year, then removed him from the roster later — OF Cody Wilson. But they had 4 positive tests and 11 total players unavailable due to protocols. Hopefully the Twins don’t get to that point!

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/roster/transactions/2021/04

04/09/21 OF Cody Wilson returned to Nationals Alternate Training Site from Washington Nationals.

04/06/21 Washington Nationals selected the contract of OF Cody Wilson from Nationals Alternate Training Site.