Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Twins Roster Moves - 2021

Do not think either Buxton or Kepler will be back quickly, maybe close to the end of June from what I am seeing (about 20 days if we are lucky).  Turtle will just be needed to fill in elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, adjacent said:

"Turtle will just be needed to fill in elsewhere". Talking about this. He hasn't play in like a week. Is he hurt?

Just his pride at the moment.  Feel good media love story is fading for the turtle.  1st base is covered with Kiriloff to me as the starter and the K machine Sano the backup.  Not going to play turtler up the middle IF or CF.  Corner outfield spots covered so leaves a 3B option and Catcher.  Two spots he really isn't that good at.  What I find interesting is Gordon riding the pine and not seeing the field... Why bringing him up.  Emergency Big League paycheck must be nice

1 hour ago, umterp23 said:

Just his pride at the moment.  Feel good media love story is fading for the turtle.  1st base is covered with Kiriloff to me as the starter and the K machine Sano the backup.  Not going to play turtler up the middle IF or CF.  Corner outfield spots covered so leaves a 3B option and Catcher.  Two spots he really isn't that good at.  What I find interesting is Gordon riding the pine and not seeing the field... Why bringing him up.  Emergency Big League paycheck must be nice

Turtle a great story, teammate, energy, personality.  I don't believe he is currently one of our 25 best players.  

1 hour ago, umterp23 said:

He’s a bench player, therefore he spends a long time riding the bench. They seem to be treating Gordon more as a bench player rather than a prospect.

Rocco hasn’t been giving guys days off like usual the past couple weeks (non-injury days off), leaving Gordon and Tortuga in the bench.

It looks like the Twins have made decisions on Gordon and Rooker and neither looks to be in their long-term plans. If Gordon is a second baseman who call fill in at shortstop, he’s number 3 at that position (behind Polanco and Arraez) and Rooker is clearly behind both Kirilloff and Larnach as a corner OF.

2 minutes ago, stringer bell said:

It looks like the Twins have made decisions on Gordon and Rooker and neither looks to be in their long-term plans. If Gordon is a second baseman who call fill in at shortstop, he’s number 3 at that position (behind Polanco and Arraez) and Rooker is clearly behind both Kirilloff and Larnach as a corner OF.

Am I missing something? This thread is for official roster moves. 

3 hours ago, Vanimal46 said:

Am I missing something? This thread is for official roster moves. 

You’re right.  Let’s keep this to roster moves. Probably best to discuss  DFAs of former Twins in the ex-Twins thread. 

4 hours ago, mnfireman said:

Garver probably headed to IL. Will Jeffers be brought back?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/06/mitch-garver-groin-surgery-twins-catcher.html

On another thread, it was suggested that the Twins might call up an outfielder. The problem with doing that is they really need a center fielder and the only one on the 40-man roster is Celestino, who didn't hit much at Wichita and was just yesterday promoted to St. Paul. Non-roster choices would include Broxton, who hasn't hit at St. Paul and Wichita outfielder Aaron Whitefield, who has cooled after a hot start in AA.

If Garver is going to be out for weeks or months, it is a really good opportunity for Jeffers to show that he can hit in the major leagues and is a candidate to be a first-string catcher. 

8 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Who had Celestino up this early in the year, as a starter? 

I thought he might make for a replacement for Buxton when (not if) he got injured, just for the defensive abilities. Once he stayed in AA for a while, I thought he'd stay in the minors for most the year.

2 hours ago, Vanimal46 said:

Griffin Jax is added to the 40 man and called up. Juan Minaya was DFA’d. 

Minaya managed an .855 OPS-against, in his 4 appearances, meaning that the average player was like a borderline All Star when facing him.

He managed this feat with a .176 BABIP.  Imagine what his overall numbers would have been like if he reverted to the historical mean of .300.

17 minutes ago, BritishTwinsFan said:

Looks like Refsnyder may be headed back to the IL after last night which frees up the room for Buxton. Otherwise I was thinking it would be Rortvedt sent down to make room on the active roster 

I don't think Buxton will be coming back today -- he DH'ed last night, and the plan was for him to play CF for St. Paul tonight.

So if Refsynder indeed goes on the IL, I expect we'll see Celestino again for a game or two.