• Create Account

Twins Roster Moves - 2021

Sorry, missed Danchat's post. Got it, Rotvedt and Ober down, Kirilloff and Dobnak up. Probably a net plus over all. By the way, put on a  mask before you look at the Twins and Indians' lineups for tonight. The averages under .220 stench permeates the page.  

17 minutes ago, Danchat said:

Maeda to IL, Gordon called up. Dobnak will take Maeda’s spot and Gordon will add depth with Polanco hurt. Someone will need to take Pineda’s spot, however.

Thorpe can come back. He was a 27th man addition, so I think he could come back up. Has Pineda been sent to the IL officially? I probably just missed that somewhere because ... well ... seems half the team is there.

Just now, Squirrel said:

Thorpe can come back. He was a 27th man addition, so I think he could come back up. Has Pineda been sent to the IL officially? I probably just missed that somewhere because ... well ... seems half the team is there.

Correct, Thorpe could be recalled again anytime, as his 10-day minimum optional stint was already satisfied before he came up for the doubleheader.

And yes, Pineda has already been sent to the IL, retroactive to May 16. So he'd be eligible to return anytime beginning Tuesday this week (although I don't know when he will be ready).

21 minutes ago, Danchat said:

Maeda to IL, Gordon called up. Dobnak will take Maeda’s spot and Gordon will add depth with Polanco hurt. Someone will need to take Pineda’s spot, however.

Dobnak would be in line to start on Wednesday with normal rest, and the Twins have an off day scheduled for Thursday. So in theory, the Twins wouldn't need a 5th starter again until Tuesday June 1st. (Although they may choose to use a 5th starter earlier.)

6 minutes ago, spycake said:

Dobnak would be in line to start on Wednesday with normal rest, and the Twins have an off day scheduled for Thursday. So in theory, the Twins wouldn't need a 5th starter again until Tuesday June 1st. (Although they may choose to use a 5th starter earlier.)

Actually Ober could also be recalled since someone was placed on the IL since he was optioned. So either Thorpe or Ober could be recalled. From what I’ve heard of Pineda’s injury is that he had stitches, but that he should be fine after the minimum IL stint. It makes sense to use Dobnak on regular rest and wait for Pineda to start after the off day. 

2 minutes ago, stringer bell said:

Actually Ober could also be recalled since someone was placed on the IL since he was optioned. So either Thorpe or Ober could be recalled. From what I’ve heard of Pineda’s injury is that he had stitches, but that he should be fine after the minimum IL stint. It makes sense to use Dobnak on regular rest and wait for Pineda to start after the off day. 

It can't be Ober now since Gordon was called up as the corresponding move. 

48 minutes ago, lecroy24fan said:

It can't be Ober now since Gordon was called up as the corresponding move. 

I fully expect Polanco goes on the IL tomorrow, so Ober could still have that spot if they decided to go that way. 

10 hours ago, stringer bell said:

I fully expect Polanco goes on the IL tomorrow, so Ober could still have that spot if they decided to go that way. 

Sure that could happen.

30 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

Minaya up.

Two things come to mind. Ruh.

And Roh.

He was a break-glass-in-emergency signing this offseason. And is off to a 5.11 ERA start at AAA. I guess his BABIP has been a little unlucky. Otherwise, ruh roh.

21 minutes ago, stringer bell said:

Charmers just doesn’t throw enough strikes.  

Minaya, well everyone else they’ve tried has failed. Change the names and see what happens. 

It's the end of May and some evaluations are in. Sometimes you gotta rotate some guys who aren't performing out, and bring in some fresh meat. My high school football coach used to say that you never really know what you have in a guy until you put a helmet on him and run him out there. 🙂

4 hours ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

Giving up on Chalmers already? Huh

I don't know that they are giving him on him. But this shapes up as a season where everyone on the 40-man will be called upon to play in the majors at some point. If they didn't envision him as contributing in 2021, then he has to be removed, in favor of someone they think can. I don't expect Minaya to be very good, but I think Chalmers would be at risk of being completely lit up at the major league level this year.

It could be some bottom feeder team will feel they can spare a 40-man spot for him to develop. Presumably the Twins FO tried to swing a trade first, unless they really feel he will pass through waivers unclaimed.

1 hour ago, ashbury said:

I don't know that they are giving him on him. But this shapes up as a season where everyone on the 40-man will be called upon to play in the majors at some point. If they didn't envision him as contributing in 2021, then he has to be removed, in favor of someone they think can. I don't expect Minaya to be very good, but I think Chalmers would be at risk of being completely lit up at the major league level this year.

It could be some bottom feeder team will feel they can spare a 40-man spot for him to develop. Presumably the Twins FO tried to swing a trade first, unless they really feel he will pass through waivers unclaimed.

Sometimes you see the original team that scouted the player claim the player back. So watch for Oakland.

Chalmers has always had control problems. i just wonder what would have changed in the last six months to lead to such a re-evaluation, what the thought process is.

I’m fine with DFAing Chalmers, I was surprised he was added to the 40 man in the first place. Just too wild and I don’t consider him to be a top 30 prospect. 

However, I don’t see the point of adding Minaya, he’s just another AAAA arm. I’d much rather see someone with a smudge of upside over him.

1 hour ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

Chalmers has always had control problems. i just wonder what would have changed in the last six months to lead to such a re-evaluation, what the thought process is.

They thought the snake-oil they bought from that nice man selling door-to-door was the cure, and it's now becoming apparent it won't be? Shoulda gone with the magic beans I was prepared to supply them with at a very competitive price.

9 hours ago, Danchat said:

I’m fine with DFAing Chalmers, I was surprised he was added to the 40 man in the first place. Just too wild and I don’t consider him to be a top 30 prospect. 

However, I don’t see the point of adding Minaya, he’s just another AAAA arm. I’d much rather see someone with a smudge of upside over him.

Cano?

7 hours ago, beckmt said:

Cano?

He certainly has more upside, but they probably want him to pitch in AAA a bit before the Twins.

BTW the Minaya move is official, Stashak was optioned to get him on the roster. 

19 minutes ago, Danchat said:

Kepler on IL, Rortvedt up.

I guess this makes sense, especially if either Kepler or Buxton will be back fairly soon. There isn't a real center fielder available right now and Refsnyder has held up well so far. Having a true second catcher makes sense, and I guess this is what Rortvedt projects to be.