• Create Account

A rant - Schedule

amjgt

I came here to rant but I didn't know there was going to be a DIFFERENT rant. Geez.

OK. The schedule.

I know this is like point #15000 of why baseball is killing itself. But these early season start times are just so stupid. In the entire first 4 weeks of the season we have 2.... TWO (!) games that start at 6pm or 7pm and one of them was on a Saturday when it doesn't matter.

Every other sport relies on the rhythm of it's schedule. Baseball seem to downright relish the randomness of its first month... just when fans should be getting into the rhythm of the season. 

I know. I know. We can cite a couple reasons... cold weather.... opening day.... blah blah blah. It's idiotic. Your sport is starving for eyeballs and you can't figure out a way to get your sport on TV at times when the most people can watch it? Get a clue, baseball. Figure it out.

Dave St. peter said in an interview before the season starte dthat there was a demand for early season weekday day games. 

Not sure where this demand came from but the attendance shows otherwise.

While I agree with your eyeball analysis there can be up to a 10 to 15 degree change in temperature from 1:00 to 3:00 versus 7:00 to 9:00.  Not always the case but when it is April up north the highs are generally 50's and 60's at best and the lows 30's to 40's at best I can understand wanting to play during the heat of the day. 

This spring has been warmer than most so might not have mattered quite as much this year but I get where they are coming from.  For games you can always record them or if you have MLB package watch them later if interested.  For me not that big of a deal but I see your point that fewer people can watch as we have jobs and can't watch during working hours.  So if viewership is what is most important they won't get it via weekday day games.  For the players though I am sure they appreciate playing in slightly warmer conditions during the day.

I'm not sure 5-6 data points during a cold season at the tail end of a pandemic is a great indicator to show reduced interest in a thing.

At first I thought it was a facetious comment about this year's attendance.

But actually, if you look at our first midweek (non-opener) April games in the seasons leading up to 2020, there is no discernible difference between the day and night game attendance.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2019-schedule-scores.shtml

At first I thought it was a facetious comment about this year's attendance.

But actually, if you look at our first midweek (non-opener) April games in the seasons leading up to 2020, there is no discernible difference between the day and night game attendance.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2019-schedule-scores.shtml

Yeah, I looked that up a few years ago and noticed there wasn't a difference I could see.

Which makes sense, especially in Minnesota... I prefer early season day games simply because it's less effing cold at the stadium and getting out in the sun after a long winter feels pretty good.

It's a safe assumption that TV ratings are higher in the evenings, but you also have to consider that FSN (now BSN) also carries the Timberwolves and Wild, both of whom had evening games scheduled this week. The TV network may not have wanted to split the ratings by having additional concurrent night games?

And once you have a few day games, it might be best to make them all day games. That avoids having a day game following a night game, likely captures the best April weather, and gives some predictability to the TV schedule. (I suspect isolated day games do worse in ratings than repeated day games.)

I'm not sure 5-6 data points during a cold season at the tail end of a pandemic is a great indicator to show reduced interest in a thing.

Oh I know about attendance being on par with past seasons so far as was mentioned above. I just disagree with DSP on there being more demand for weekday day games. No way BSN wants that, and no way parents with kids in school want that.  

I was spoiled the last few years, working nights or not at all and was able to attend weekday day games often. Now that I have generally bankers hours I have missed all these games. 

No way BSN wants that

In a vacuum, certainly night games are better than day games for the TV network. But as I mentioned upthread, while the NBA/NHL seasons overlap with MLB season, frankly BSN may not mind showing the Twins in the day, and Wild/Wolves at night, rather than having them compete with each other.

And in a given week, if the Twins have at least 2 weekday day games, it's probably just as well for BSN that all of the weekday games are in the day that week, as it establishes a predictable pattern (for the week, at least). I think part of the struggle with weekday day game is that they are a bit unpredictable, and usually sandwiched between weekday evening games. Once we noticed the Twins and Red Sox played at 1 PM on Monday, we weren't as surprised by it on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week.

and no way parents with kids in school want that.

Parents with kids in school are a pretty terrible demographic to target with 3+ hour daily broadcasts -- I'm guessing they have less time available than most other demographics.

I'm guessing with full attendance, they may not do this again, but with limited attendance it seems like a reasonable decision.

Does any of the Data Driven Detectives at the Daily have any idea if the ratings are different for day and night

I don’t know that game-level ratings data has ever been publicly disclosed for the regular season, but playoff games played earlier in the day are always lower than those of the evening game. The effect might be less for local regular season games, but I would expect the general principle would be the same.

The Red Sox series was moved to all day games, partially due to the possible impact of the Derek Chauvin trial. The Twins thought it would be safer getting fans out of downtown during daylight. It turns out the Daunte Wright situation overlapped with the Red Sox series, not the trial.

I don’t know that game-level ratings data has ever been publicly disclosed for the regular season, but playoff games played earlier in the day are always lower than those of the evening game. The effect might be less for local regular season games, but I would expect the general principle would be the same.

I don't do the on demand service, are the games available by the streaming services now. That would render game time irrelevant as well as podcast of the broadcast.

The Red Sox series was moved to all day games, partially due to the possible impact of the Derek Chauvin trial. The Twins thought it would be safer getting fans out of downtown during daylight. It turns out the Daunte Wright situation overlapped with the Red Sox series, not the trial.

Well ST Peter did not mention that in the interview I saw late in ST. He said it was due to demand.

In a vacuum, certainly night games are better than day games for the TV network. But as I mentioned upthread, while the NBA/NHL seasons overlap with MLB season, frankly BSN may not mind showing the Twins in the day, and Wild/Wolves at night, rather than having them compete with each other.

And in a given week, if the Twins have at least 2 weekday day games, it's probably just as well for BSN that all of the weekday games are in the day that week, as it establishes a predictable pattern (for the week, at least). I think part of the struggle with weekday day game is that they are a bit unpredictable, and usually sandwiched between weekday evening games. Once we noticed the Twins and Red Sox played at 1 PM on Monday, we weren't as surprised by it on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week.

Parents with kids in school are a pretty terrible demographic to target with 3+ hour daily broadcasts -- I'm guessing they have less time available than most other demographics.

I'm guessing with full attendance, they may not do this again, but with limited attendance it seems like a reasonable decision.

But the NBA/NHL games also ended up being day games. They created the plus channel a few years ago so they could air 2 games at the same time.

Twins should not have any home games the first 10 games - weather.

This thought is expressed almost every April.

Here's the problem: the same thought applies to Boston, the Yankees, the Mets, Baltimore, Washington, Philadephia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, the Cubs, the White Sox, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Colorado. That's more than half the teams. They can't all open on the road. And even if you eliminate one of those teams to make it 15, it's unfair in more than one way to have all those teams play two weeks worth of road games to start the season every year.

But the NBA/NHL games also ended up being day games. They created the plus channel a few years ago so they could air 2 games at the same time.

Yes, the NBA/NHL games were rescheduled for the day too. But the original schedule had them in the evenings, and the Twins alone during the day.

I know BSN has the plus channel but they probably prefer not to use where possible, as it splits their audience a bit. Sometimes it is unavoidable but if the Twins are willing to play during the day on Wild/Wolves game days, BSN probably won’t object.

Yes, the NBA/NHL games were rescheduled for the day too. But the original schedule had them in the evenings, and the Twins alone during the day.

I know BSN has the plus channel but they probably prefer not to use where possible, as it splits their audience a bit. Sometimes it is unavoidable but if the Twins are willing to play during the day on Wild/Wolves game days, BSN probably won’t object.

They've actually had three on at one time. they've used their local CW affiliate that they own to show a few Wolves games.

Well ST Peter did not mention that in the interview I saw late in ST. He said it was due to demand.

The original schedule had the first three Boston games scheduled for night games at 6:40 pm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.com/mlb/2021/02/2021-minnesota-twins-schedule/amp/

April 12 vs. Boston, 6:40 p.m.

April 13 vs. Boston, 6:40 p.m.

April 14 vs. Boston, 6:40 p.m.

They sent a survey to season ticket holders and moved the Boston series to day games based on those responses. The Twins mentioned "safety" or some other cryptic explanation. I think an easy read between the lines was the Chauvin trial and possible complications from the trial. I don't think season ticket holders were asking for day games all that week.

They've actually had three on at one time. they've used their local CW affiliate that they own to show a few Wolves games.

I noticed that on Friday night. Free TV still wasn’t enough to make me interested in watching the Wolves. :)

I am sure it is unavoidable on some days with 3 seasons overlapping, but it doesn’t necessarily mean BSN prefers that arrangement.

By doing day games you have a tad more latitude if you need to delay because of weather, especially in the opening weeks.

Plus, this year it kinda makes sense since you can only have 10,000 fans at the game. If you can make a day game, great chance to get great tickets.

Doesn't play well for television or radio audiences, although the game can be re-run, if one chooses, on television.

First Twins - Angels game was supposed to be on FS1 but guess what? Just not playing at all takes care of any scheduling problem. Especially with Buxton injured (imagine that) and Sano hitting .130 last time I checked. This will be the most uninteresting Twins season in many years anyway. 10,000 would be a normal crowd.

If only every problem was this easy to solve. The instructions for resolution require three words … Digital Video Recorder.  You can get one for $200 and it will last a decade or more. Problem resolved for $20/year.

Why would you make your schedule dependent upon broadcast times under any circumstance? East coast games are earlier than I want to sit down for the game. For that matter. 7:10 is too early. Why take 3 hours to watch a game when you can cut out commercials, pitching changes, mound visits or anything else you don’t care to see.

There are many things in the world worthy of a rant. This is definitely not one of them.