• Create Account

A rant

Well if you’re correct and he’s as horrible as you say then we won’t make the playoffs this year, or ever for that matter until we fire Baldelli.

And now we play the waiting game. Lotta ball left, but there needs to be several coming to Jesus' with this team and changes to be made. 

And now we play the waiting game. Lotta ball left, but there needs to be several coming to Jesus' with this team and changes to be made. 

Does this mean additions to the roster or coaching changes?

You didn't bring up Nolan Ryan another commenter did. Their point seems to be that the greatest of all time didn't need days off or get taken out of ball games to lessen the load therefore why should <pampered player>. So, in that context it does relate.

Also, you say that quantity isn't a question then proceed to mention the quantity of innings difference between Berrios and Ryan. Again, Ryan is one of the greatest pitchers ever somewhat due to the fact that he could just keep throwing the ball pitch after pitch, batter after batter, inning after inning, year after year. Why can't Berrios do that? How about, why can't anyone in today's MLB do that?

Personally, I think your original question has been answered by spycake...

"That means we've given 5 days off total to healthy regulars, as far as I can tell -- and two of those (Kepler vs LHP) were for platoon reasons, one was for an extreme slumping Sano in a doubleheader."

How about you reply to that comment instead?

I fully admit I don't really know the answer for pitchers. I do believe strongly the lower workloads of today have done little to keep pitchers healthy. I don't know how to fix that. Maybe more work for younger pitchers, not less. Might be worth a try, dunno.

But my rant is about position players.

As to spy's comment, I don't think 2 weeks into the season is enough evidence to indicate Rocco won't be needlessly giving his best players more time off than is necessary or warranted. That's his MO.

The rant was more preemptive in nature than a reaction to last week. And I remain convinced it's counterproductive.

I see 0 play off wins, regardless of managers, and the trend continuing. Thats not what I want to see and not only is it what I alone am seeing. Its is reality and fact, for all. 

Does anyone really want to see playoff losses? Your earlier comment was what it was. By your own comment  last season does not count. So now you want to get rid of a manager because of one playoff series. I could say that is a tough crowd, but it is not even close to what I think of that thinking

Every team rests players for a day about every 3-4 games. It usually is a different player. However, fans might be upset if they hoped to see one of their favorites and he wasn't playing that day. Almost nobody plays much more than 152 games a season- even if healthy. They have to have a day off to rest or if they are in a slump or if they are facing a pitcher that they are 1 for 21 against.

I think some roster shuffling needs to be done.  Dobnak just doesn't have it right now and he probably has a couple options.  Unless Polanco suddenly starts hitting, once Simmons comes back I'm putting Araez at 2B and the top of the order.  Polanco moves to the super-utility role.  They just need Araez at the top of the order, setting the table.  My patience with Sano is virtually at an end.  He's a black hole in this lineup.  Kepler, Garver and others are struggling too, but not as badly as Sano.

It doesn't matter who plays for the Minnesota Twins this season. They are an average team at best and have to play at 100% to be average. Luckily, there are no great teams any more and at 6-11 only 4 games out of first. If I was Rocco, I would throw darts at the roster and that's my lineup. By the way, Rocco, stop managing and just let 'em play. Just watch the flow of the game and stop reading analytics spreadsheets.

90-110 players a year are playing more than 140 games a year. With thirty teams that means there are not very many good players or you didn't bother to back up your claim with facts.

Does that take into account IL stints? 

I'm not debating either way, I'm just legitimately curious. There needs to be some context there. Just because they're not playing 140 games doesn't mean that they're getting rested every 3 or 4 days.

I'm not debating either way, I'm just legitimately curious. There needs to be some context there. Just because they're not playing 140 games doesn't mean that they're getting rested every 3 or 4 days.

And NOBODY played even 130 games last year!!

Twins need to make some moves.  

1. Fire Baldelli, hire Rowson.

2. Move Stachek, Thielbar, Dobnak, etc to alternate site and bring up the fireballer kids, can't be any worse than it is.  

3. Look for reasonable trades for Kepler, Sano, etc.  Probably will have to sell too low, but two weeks from now it will be too late.

4. Extend Buxton, Berrios, even if you have to overpay.  If you cannot get them, look for major deals as with this team they will be gone to winners after 2022.

Twins need to make some moves.

1. Fire Baldelli, hire Rowson.

2. Move Stachek, Thielbar, Dobnak, etc to alternate site and bring up the fireballer kids, can't be any worse than it is.

3. Look for reasonable trades for Kepler, Sano, etc. Probably will have to sell too low, but two weeks from now it will be too late.

4. Extend Buxton, Berrios, even if you have to overpay. If you cannot get them, look for major deals as with this team they will be gone to winners after 2022.

fireballs kids?

Who?

fireballs kids?
Who?

Then bring up Duran and the other kid who starts with a B and put them in the bullpen.  We have one of the worst pens in the majors, why not try something different

Well you got one thing correct as it was a 60 game season las year. Really damn hard to play in 130 games last year. Tampa maxed out at 80 if you include the playoffs. 

The claim is nobody else rests their players every 3-4 days as a complaint about Baldelli. The Twins used 20 position players for the year. Catchers were alternated more or less. CJ Crohn spennt 25 days on the dl, 125 games played.  Schoop played in 125 games. His play log shoes 6 times with multiple days off in a row, Polonco played in 153 games. Sano played in 105 games with 49 days on the dl,  Rosario spent 19 games on the dl and played in 137, Buxton played in 87 games and spent 72 days on the dl, Kepler played in 134 games but was done by game 144. Cruz played in  120 games, 29 days dl time. The Chief is right NOBODY rests their players every 3-4 days. In 2019 there were 250 players in total spent on the dl, . He is also wrong in that Baldelli does it