• Create Account

A rant

I've been on about this for two years now, but Baldelli really needs to get over the idea that his best players need a game off every week.

It's unnecessary, and unproductive. It's baseball, for Pete's sake.

All it does is intentionally take his best players out of games, which is then of course compounded when the inevitable actual injuries occur.

Because players still get injured, whether they play 5 games a week instead of 6, or not.

And I suspect it probably leads to a bit of a "soft" team, without much intestinal fortitude, which I admit is speculation on my part.

I've been on about this for two years now, but Baldelli really needs to get over the idea that his best players need a game off every week.

All it does is intentionally take his best players out of games, which is then of course compounded when the inevitable actual injuries occur.

Because players still get injured, whether they play 5 games a week instead of 6, or not.

And I suspect it probably leads to a bit of a "soft" team, without much intestinal fortitude, which I admit is speculation on my part.

I would also point out that his pitching moves seem predetermined for who pitches what innings regardless of what is actually happening on the field.

Why are Dobnak and Waddell pitching in one run games, which are soon no longer one run games? The starters pitch the same amount whether they're throwing a no hitter or struggling through the fourth inning.

This is a very flawed team that could easily lose 90 games this season because they have at least three major holes in their lineup, a very suspect bullpen, and 2.5 reliable starting pitchers.

100% accurate. Softness starts at the top and he seems way too laissez faire about giving guys days off. A couple of defensive plays today might have been made by buxton had he played. But the over cautious Rocco keeps guys out if they tweak a hang nail

I think he's also testing out that theory that the order of the lineup doesn't matter. I realize that Garver has good numbers leading off against a lefty, but he isn't hitting anything right now and has no business at the top of the order. Garlick at cleanup? Its a wonder they scored a run at all. I've been very disappointed in his batting orders so far this season.

I am not going to research it, too lazy to do that, but I wonder if there ara data on injuries with regular rest, vs, playing continuosly. I know it is a topic that has been studied for pitchers, I am not aware of anything for field players

conditioning and rest starts with the player in the off-season. Yes it is a marathon but to have tired legs 2 weeks into the season when you had an unscheduled off day on Monday.  Lineups are very questionable but Rocco sure does love the analytical moneyball approach.  Old school managers who have a gut instinct to make the moves needed appear to have the belief of the team.  Astros with Dusty, sure went with gut more than analytics last post season and did fairly well.  long season could get longer with what we are seeing

There is never a set lineup. You don’t know if you are a lead off hitter, a middle of the order hitter, or a back of the lineup hitter. In the pen, are you a closer, a setup guy, or an innings eater?  Only the SP sort of know what their role is. 

While I am well aware of the fact that how baseball is now "managed" has changed, what hasn’t changed is what goes on in players minds. While some uncertainty is probably useful as a motivational tool, constant uncertainty is in essence chaos.

As to the talent of the individuals involved:  Its not as good as hoped for. The keys, Buxton, Sano, Kepler, Polanco, and Garver are all not performing as anticipated and didn’t last year. I regrettably include Buxton since he yet again is sitting with some leg problems. I think the Twins have 12 games in, and he has been out twice already. About average. 

As for Rocco, he is often lauded for his management of the clubhouse. That may be all true, I have saw nothing to contradict that legend. But the game is played on the field. Whether it’s perception or fact, his spreadsheet lineups and his willy nilly use of the pen leave him open to quite a bit of consternation, justified or not. 

As to the talent of the individuals involved:  Its not as good as hoped for. The keys, Buxton, Sano, Kepler, Polanco, and Garver are all not performing as anticipated and didn’t last year. I regrettably include Buxton since he yet again is sitting with some leg problems. I think the Twins have 12 games in, and he has been out twice already. About average. 

If you're not satisfied with what Byron Buxton has provided so far there's basically no satisfying you.

Thomas, you missed the qualifier. I have nothing but admiration for his talent. He is the only player the Twins have who can as the saying goes, "stir the drink". But he can’t do that from the dugout, or the IL. Buxton’s ability changes the teams level. When he plays. 

If you're not satisfied with what Byron Buxton has provided so far there's basically no satisfying you.

100% accurate. Softness starts at the top and he seems way too laissez faire about giving guys days off. A couple of defensive plays today might have been made by buxton had he played. But the over cautious Rocco keeps guys out if they tweak a hang nail

100% that big rally could have been entirely avoided if Buxton was out there to catch that first hit that dropped near Cave. Completely changes everything.

2 years managing, 2 division titles. One bad week and Baldelli is an idiot. 

The Twins are a flawed team. So isn’t pretty much every other team. 

Waddell did nothing today to cause the Twins to lose a game

People can rant, they come across as sounding like Fran Drescher

This is the attitude that gets you no play off wins in 2 decades. People CAN see the writing on the wall in some situations. Not everything is hind sight. Rocco's "Good Year" happened to be when he lucked into a team that broke the HR Record. Thats it. You can toss 2020 out the window because a season consisting of 1/3 the normal games does not count. 

per old nurse "2 years managing, 2 division titles. One bad week and Baldelli is an idiot."

Last year means nothing. Repeat; last year means nothing. 2019 the Twins went on a home run rampage that had nothing to do with managing and will never be repeated by this team. Donaldson pulls a ham string in game one so I guess he should have been rested in game 1. MOY jinx now in effect. Its a long season anyway but this will be a real long season for this team. No breaks or "should win" games any time soon. Seems like most every team is improved except one.

In terms of giving their regulars rest, they are pretty similar. Number of players to start 50 or more games in 2020:

5 Twins

4 Dodgers

1 Rays

You can throw anything from the 2020 "Season" out the window because it is an exception to the rule, not the rule itself. 

I agree. Back when Gardenhire was managing good teams, he would give players a day off if the team won the first two games of a series. On the face of it this was a good incentive, and seemed to get great results, but there's a possibility it also prevented those teams from having truly dominant win streaks and kicking it up to the next level.

So what's the OP's specific criticism based on then? Dodgers and Twins top starting position players look similarly rested in 2019 and 2021 too.

Depth. We do not have the talent level/depth to do that. And thats been obvious for a while. 

I've got no problem giving extra rest if the team has good depth. I'm not sure you have that right now though if your replacement SS is JT Riddle.

But I don't see the rest thing as much of an issue. Does anyone really want to see Kepler, Cave, Sano, Garver, Jeffers and Polanco bat right now? Garlick and Astudillo have been hitting better than them anyway. Seems like the only useful hitters, Buxton, Donaldson, Simmons and Cruz have been "resting" due to illness or injury, I'm not sure it's indicative of the rest of the season yet. Arraez is the only regular batter that has been both healthy and competent so far this year. He was always supposed to be the 10th man, yet he's only had one day off so far.

But I really disliked the Sunday getaway day lineups Gardenhire always threw out there. Rest a starter or two, but not ALL of your starters at once.

I've got no problem giving extra rest if the team has good depth. I'm not sure you have that right now though if your replacement SS is JT Riddle.

But I don't see the rest thing as much of an issue. Does anyone really want to see Kepler, Cave, Sano, Garver, Jeffers and Polanco bat right now? Garlick and Astudillo have been hitting better than them anyway. Seems like the only good hitters, Buxton, Donaldson, Simmons and Cruz have been "resting" due to illness or injury, I'm not sure it's indicative of the rest of the season yet.

But I really disliked the Sunday getaway day lineups Gardenhire always threw out there. Rest a starter or two, but not ALL of your starters at once.

Ugh. I *hated* the getaway day lineups. I enormously prefer taking 1-2 regulars out on a daily basis over basically making every Sunday game borderline unwatchable.

Last year means nothing. Repeat; last year means nothing. 2019 the Twins went on a home run rampage that had nothing to do with managing and will never be repeated by this team.

Its a long season anyway but this will be a real long season for this team.

So we discount the larger sample size we have to evaluate Rocco's management by, and grossly inflate a week long slump at the start of April? Ok.

Depth. We do not have the talent level/depth to do that. And thats been obvious for a while. 

Our offensive performance was basically equal to that of the Dodgers in 2019. And you already told us to ignore 2020, and 2021 is only two weeks old, so... what's your evidence of this again?

I mean, I won't argue with the idea that our roster is not as talented overall as the Dodgers. Perhaps no team is right now. But how about the Rays? As Tom points out, a quick glance suggests they rest regulars more than we do, and have been successful.