• Create Account

Miguel Sano is Off to a Worrisome Start

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, this is not a small sample size.  Most of us thought something of Cruz had rubbed off on Sano after the 2019 Bomba squad but even in 2019 there were HUGE holes in his swing.  I was pushing all off

My opinion does not qualify as "an extreme take." The sample size is not small and he is not going to suddenly become Big Pappi. Time to stop holding out hope IMHO.

Troublesome, worrisome, frustrating - all of the above. But what else is new? Sano's career in a nutshell has been marked by long, deep hitting slumps followed by short bursts of amazing power and ski

Guys, Sano has a long enough track record of above average Hitting to be given at least a month of rope. It's only been 7 games. Even if he winds up at .230/.320/.500 with 30 HRs he's worth playing and hitting in the 6 or 7 hole. 

Besides, who would we replace him with? Astudillo? God, no. Fine so far this year as a utility guy playing every 3rd day. No way is he a starter on a good MLB team. Arraez? Better choice but we need him to back up 2B, 3B and play LF. Rooker? We saw what he can't do this year. Kirilloff? We saw his state of MLB readiness in ST and it was not pretty. 

We need to give Sano a real shot before we shoot him or ship him out of town. Not only does he have the highest potential upside by far of any of these guys, we got nobody else. 

".... He was entitled as he rose ... "

Wow! not a personal attack but that is rather egregious. Miguel Sano signed a rich contract that took him from abject poverty to wealth when he was 16. Entitled is not the case, not close. The maneuvers made on him and his family by professionals and the blatant racism he faced as a young kid under the eye of MLB was atrocious. Sano had to prove his age by agreeing to various tests that proved his age. It is amazing he managed himself through those experiences and years in my thinking. 

Certainly, I hoped Sano could hit .275 - .300 with 30-40 homeruns and a .900 OPS and so on, but he is still at least average. I loved K. Vargas and his style but there is a demonstrable difference between them as others have pointed out quite effectively. 

Lastly, I mentioned last year in a comment that Miguel Sano is one of the only hitters in baseball that strikes fear as he stands in the batter's box. As a former pitcher myself, Sano is the only Twin I would say that about. Sometimes I think umpires feel the same way because in a very non-scientific judgment I cannot ever recall seeing a hitter have more balls called strikes against him than we see when Sano is at the plate.

Miguel has quite a way to go before he regains the fans and his long streaks of flailing are difficult for even the most faithful Twins fanatic. Still, we can relax and wait out his early season issues. Can't we?

".... He was entitled as he rose ... "

Wow! not a personal attack but that is rather egregious. Miguel Sano signed a rich contract that took him from abject poverty to wealth when he was 16. Entitled is not the case, not close. The maneuvers made on him and his family by professionals and the blatant racism he faced as a young kid under the eye of MLB was atrocious. Sano had to prove his age by agreeing to various tests that proved his age. It is amazing he managed himself through those experiences and years in my thinking.

Certainly, I hoped Sano could hit .275 - .300 with 30-40 homeruns and a .900 OPS and so on, but he is still at least average. I loved K. Vargas and his style but there is a demonstrable difference between them as others have pointed out quite effectively.

Lastly, I mentioned last year in a comment that Miguel Sano is one of the only hitters in baseball that strikes fear as he stands in the batter's box. As a former pitcher myself, Sano is the only Twin I would say that about. Sometimes I think umpires feel the same way because in a very non-scientific judgment I cannot ever recall seeing a hitter have more balls called strikes against him than we see when Sano is at the plate.

Miguel has quite a way to go before he regains the fans and his long streaks of flailing are difficult for even the most faithful Twins fanatic. Still, we can relax and wait out his early season issues. Can't we?

Thank you!!!

Is 5 years of NOT living up to the hype long enough to begin the doubt process? I think so.

He actually has been at the MLB level for 6 years. I am not a real big Sano fan but I don't think you are being fair. He was very good 3 of those 6 years with a wRC+ of 125 / 137 / 149. To put this in perspective, Rosarios best year was a wRC+ of 118. Sano is definitely not consistent but he has the ability to be a real force. I would love to see him put it together in the next month. Garver looks much more like 2019 Garver and Buxton looks like an absolute BEAST!