Twins Daily
  • Create Account

GAME THREAD: 4/6/21 Minnesota Twins @ Detroit Tigers, 12:10 CDT

Rocco proves once again that he just simply isn't a great "in-game" manager. I think overall he's a great manager when it comes to creating a vibe that breeds season-long success and is good for the 162 game grind. However, he's never going to be that guy that pulls the right levers at the right time to secure a victory. 

Maybe he'll develop into that as he gains more experience, but he seems to really struggle with some of these chess moves.

Tough loss 

He also has eight career MLB plate appearances. Let's pump the brakes here.

In the box. Sure. I see hot, and the whole back story.... and Robles.... and walk him. Definitely. I go intuitive, but I understand you boxers.

I wouldn't have pitched to him at all. Probably wouldn't have pitched to Baddoo, either, but at least that's defensible.

..... and I thought you wouldn't have pitched to him, either...... 

In the box. Sure. I see hot, and the whole back story.... and Robles.... and walk him. Definitely. I go intuitive, but I understand you boxers.

I've been posting on forums for 20 years. I've seen people make these kinds of statements about at least 100 players over that time.

You probably wouldn't recognize the names of half of them.

It's not about being scared, it's about not letting a RHP pitch to a LHB for no good reason.

So you pitch the rookie riding adrenaline and hitting the ball well right now?

If we can’t let Robles pitch to skeletal remains of Robbie Grossman, why the heck is he on the team pitching in high leverage situations? Grossman is awful.

Rationalize however you want, I get it. I understand the left/right matchup dynamic in baseball. It’s just overthought. The guy behind him his been swinging the bat very well. I think the results kind of speak for themselves.

So you pitch the rookie riding adrenaline and hitting the ball well right now?

If we can’t let Robles pitch to skeletal remains of Robbie Grossman, why the heck is he on the team pitching in high leverage situations? Grossman is awful.

Rationalize however you want, I get it. I understand the left/right matchup dynamic in baseball. It’s just overthought. The guy behind him his been swinging the bat very well. I think the results kind of speak for themselves.

As I said like two posts later, I probably wouldn't have pitched to Baddoo, either.

For the same reason.

Nobody mattered except the guy on third and the guy at the plate. And Baldelli had some control over who was at the plate.

I've been posting on forums for 20 years. I've seen people make these kinds of statements about at least 100 players over that time.

You probably wouldn't recognize the names of half of them.

Hot is hot. Even if it is for a week. Even if they only play in the show for a week. Hot overrides the stat machine. Regarless if you can't remember who they were. Baddoo is REDHOT. And still is after today. Regardless of how many at bats in the show he has. 

Hot is hot. Even if it is for a week. Even if they only play in the show for a week. Hot overrides the stat machine. Regarless if you can't remember who they were. Baddoo is REDHOT. And still is after today. Regardless of how many at bats in the show he has. 

Sorry, I completely misunderstood your post and replied in a way that doesn't make much sense.

Walking Baddoo was definitely something that should have been considered. I can understand why Baldelli didn't, but my inclination was to walk the two lefties. I believe Detroit's bench was clear.

YOU JUST HAVE TO SEND POLANCO AT FULL STEAM FROM SECOND!!! 

Waving him frantically the whole way to increse his speed by you very will as he blasts around third and scores the go ahead run. You just have to. If you are going to bet on running on contact on a ball from to the drawn in infield, you have to force the play from a single to right, too. Just have to.

Unless you are Baldelli, and Diaz.

YOU JUST HAVE TO SEND POLANCO AT FULL STEAM FROM SECOND!!! 

Yeah, that seemed a bit dodgy but I'd have to watch the game again to see whether it was a bad idea. That ball was hit hard directly at the right fielder. There's a good chance Polanco is out by ten feet, I'm not sure without trying to match the runner and fielder up in video.

Yeah, that seemed a bit dodgy but I'd have to watch the game again to see whether it was a bad idea. That ball was hit hard directly at the right fielder. There's a good chance Polanco is out by ten feet, I'm not sure without trying to match the runner and fielder up in video.

Decent runners score from 2nd on ground singles to right all the time. Polanco should have a good lead, is off on contact hit behind him. And it's not like the right fielder would be playing shallow on Cruz.

That's just passive baseball. And with Kepler due up, against a LHer, there's a decent chance of a K, which is what happened.

That run has to score, and there's no reason he shouldn't have, if he's running hard on contact.

Sorry, I completely misunderstood your post and replied in a way that doesn't make much sense.

Walking Baddoo was definitely something that should have been considered. I can understand why Baldelli didn't, but my inclination was to walk the two lefties. I believe Detroit's bench was clear.

I don't know who Hinch had remaining on the bench. The pitcher spot was due up, he had lost the DH earlier. If he had a LH hitter remaining, I'd probably pitch to Baddoo.

If not, I don't know. I get nervous about Robles forced to throw strikes.

He was lost to injury in 2019 and had no ABs in 2020. Why would they keep a guy on their roster that hasn't had at-bats in 2 years, and in his previous year in the minors (2018) only had a .243 BA and .770 OPS?

Buxton lost plenty of years to injury and no one had ABs in 2020. The reason I would have kept him around was the 25 SBs, 44 XBH, and 15% walk rate. Not many guys flash plus power potential, speed, and walk rate. He’s pretty much the type of prospect you should always keep around because of ceiling. I mean it’s not like his RC+’s of 120, 130, and 180 mean more than his 13 games stretch prior to injury of 103

We have plenty of low ceiling career minor league or borderline MLB ceiling prospects that we kept that we could have given up instead.

1. I am tired of this Little League approach to extra innings, especially on the road. This is not baseball.

2. Is anyone ever going to pitch in a little bit and make Baddoo (or anyone else) move his feet? It's a lot easier to hit when you are never challenged.

Featured Video