Jump to content
  • Create Account

Akil Baddoo crushes Homerun in first major league at bat


Just looked at his numbers after tonight's game: not pretty.

 

.192 BA

.724 OPS

4BB vs. 34K

He does have the 4 HR and 14 RBI. 11 of his 14 hits are for extra bases, including 3 triples. 2 SB.

 

Still regret losing him, and Ashbury is correct in that we ain't getting him back. That measley OPS is 3rd on the team!

 

Lots cheaper and more productive than Miggy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard not to be happy for Akil from my perspective. He would have been behind Rooker, he would have been behind Kirilloff, and if he wasn't already he likely would have found himself behind Larnach, Wa

The Twins did no such thing. They exposed Baddoo at the beginning of the offseason and claimed Garlick at the beginning of spring training. Between those two dates, an entire offseason happened, reple

I would prefer the Twins to be the franchise that is losing guys in the rule 5 than the one that is adding with the rule 5 draft every year.

 

the name brant alyea ring any bells?

Yes he does and there is not any similarities between the 2 players other than they played baseball and were drafted in the rule v draft at some point in their career. In today’s game Alyea would have been a minor league free agent and not a draftee. He had played several years in the majors before being drafted. That is not Baddoo

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We're still not getting him back. :)

Twins FO should have called Detroit after the walk-off and demanded a ridiculous trade offer for DET to keep him w/o Rule 5 attachment (not sure if they can do that before he's exposed to waivers etc).

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yes he does and there is not any similarities between the 2 players other than they played baseball and were drafted in the rule v draft at some point in their career. In today’s game Alyea would have been a minor league free agent and not a draftee. He had played several years in the majors before being drafted. That is not Baddoo

Alyea impressed his new team with a 4-for-4, 2 HR, 7 RBI performance against the Chicago White Sox. The Twins won the game 12-0, and Calvin Griffith may have thought he found the answer to his team’s troubles against left-handed pitching. Alyea gave Griffith and the Twins ample reason to believe that might be the case with a .415/.473/.774 April.

 

Unfortunately for both Alyea and the Twins the hot start was just that. He came back down to earth and batted just .259/.335/.468 the rest of the season. After a .177/.282/.241 performance in 1971, the Twins let Alyea go in the Rule V draft. He bounced around the league in 1972 attempting to find the magic that propelled him in April of 1970, but was never able to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Alyea impressed his new team with a 4-for-4, 2 HR, 7 RBI performance against the Chicago White Sox. The Twins won the game 12-0, and Calvin Griffith may have thought he found the answer to his team’s troubles against left-handed pitching. Alyea gave Griffith and the Twins ample reason to believe that might be the case with a .415/.473/.774 April.

 

Unfortunately for both Alyea and the Twins the hot start was just that. He came back down to earth and batted just .259/.335/.468 the rest of the season. After a .177/.282/.241 performance in 1971, the Twins let Alyea go in the Rule V draft. He bounced around the league in 1972 attempting to find the magic that propelled him in April of 1970, but was never able to.

No one shed a tear. When Alyea left as a 31 year old. Alyea was an acquired player who left as a rule 5 draftee and did nothing. There is no similarity of careers between Baddoo and Alyea

Link to post
Share on other sites

Twins FO should have called Detroit after the walk-off and demanded a ridiculous trade offer for DET to keep him w/o Rule 5 attachment (not sure if they can do that before he's exposed to waivers etc).

The Twins can’t do anything to remove his Rule 5 restrictions. Baddoo would have to clear waivers first, with Rule 5 restrictions still attached, after which he would be removed from the 40-man roster and returned to the Twins org. At that point, he could be traded without restrictions just like any other non-40-man minor leaguer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Twins can’t do anything to remove his Rule 5 restrictions. Baddoo would have to clear waivers first, with Rule 5 restrictions still attached, after which he would be removed from the 40-man roster and returned to the Twins org. At that point, he could be traded without restrictions just like any other non-40-man minor leaguer.

After waivers, isn't there an additional step that the player is offered back to the original team for half price? If the offer isn't accepted then the player would stay with the new team.

 

Or did the rules change in the last year or three? Too lazy to check and you seem to be on top of it. I'm a taker, not a maker, today. :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After waivers, isn't there an additional step that the player is offered back to the original team for half price? If the offer isn't accepted then the player would stay with the new team.

 

Or did the rules change in the last year or three? Too lazy to check and you seem to be on top of it. I'm a taker, not a maker, today. :)

 

You are technically correct, I was sharing the abbreviated version! I can’t recall any players that the original team refused to take back, since they no longer require a 40-man roster spot at that point. Maybe an extreme injury case like Nick Burdi?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are technically correct, I was sharing the abbreviated version! I can’t recall any players that the original team refused to take back, since they no longer require a 40-man roster spot at that point. Maybe an extreme injury case like Nick Burdi?

Or an extreme cheapskate team for whom $50K is a discussion point. :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any other team can claim a Rule 5 and follow the same roster rules. If no one claims the player, he is offered back to the original team for a 50% refund of the Rule 5 monies. The team does not have to put him on their 40-man. Also, if no one claims and if the original team doesn't want him back, the team he started with can take him off the 40-man and bury him in the minors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

Still SSS, but Baddoo is back hitting again, and in fact has the highest OPS in the lineup (which says more about Detroit’s lineup than Baddoo, in my opinion).

not a lot of hard hits or power the last few weeks, but drawing some walks and stealing some bases

 

Zero homers and a 1.100+ OPS over two weeks. That's a bit unusual, though only five starts. Was he injured or something?

Season Totals
Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
Last 7 days 3 2 9 6 1 4 1 1 0 2 1 0 3 0 .667 .778 1.167 1.944 7 .667 362 437
Last 14 days 8 5 23 17 3 7 1 1 0 4 3 0 5 5 .412 .522 .588 1.110 10 .538 173 210
Last 365 days 35 29 110 96 12 24 6 4 4 19 5 0 12 40 .250 .327 .521 .848 50 .370 100  
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 5/27/2021.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

Still SSS, but Baddoo is back hitting again, and in fact has the highest OPS in the lineup (which says more about Detroit’s lineup than Baddoo, in my opinion).

not a lot of hard hits or power the last few weeks, but drawing some walks and stealing some bases

 

He started off hot for a few games, did terrible for a very long stretch, now back to hot hitting.  The walks is a big thing for him as he was striking out at 50% clip for awhile and no walks basically.  He seems to be making adjustments which is what you need to do to survive at any level.  My guess is teams will adjust again to him and he will have to make his own again.  I wish him well, and if he was in the Twins organization still he would not have made a debut. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Zero homers and a 1.100+ OPS over two weeks. That's a bit unusual, though only five starts. Was he injured or something?

Season Totals
Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
Last 7 days 3 2 9 6 1 4 1 1 0 2 1 0 3 0 .667 .778 1.167 1.944 7 .667 362 437
Last 14 days 8 5 23 17 3 7 1 1 0 4 3 0 5 5 .412 .522 .588 1.110 10 .538 173 210
Last 365 days 35 29 110 96 12 24 6 4 4 19 5 0 12 40 .250 .327 .521 .848 50 .370 100  
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 5/27/2021.

Last 7 days, and PA in the single digits... the common problem of having the highest OPS on the team, but still not good enough to crack the lineup regularly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trov said:

He started off hot for a few games, did terrible for a very long stretch, now back to hot hitting.  The walks is a big thing for him as he was striking out at 50% clip for awhile and no walks basically.  He seems to be making adjustments which is what you need to do to survive at any level.  My guess is teams will adjust again to him and he will have to make his own again.  I wish him well, and if he was in the Twins organization still he would not have made a debut. 

I agree, Baddoo would not have debuted in 2021 for the Twins, even with all the injuries. 

I can’t speak for the OP of this thread, but think the argument @Doctor Gast and a few others were making was that Baddoo could have been protected on the 40 man just fine, if that was the priority. Blankenhorn is already gone; there are a few borderline pitchers on the 40 man (in some cases on the 26 man) not doing much for us, in my opinion. Those guys were protected, Baddoo was not. Like I said, I didn’t have an opinion on Baddoo when Baddoo was selected away, but Doctor Gast did, and kudos to him for saying so!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Baddoo’s streaky play is expected when he hasn’t played above A+ ball, nor play a single game for the last 18 months. His stats through May 27th are pretty impressive given the circumstances. Unless he starts going 0 for the century, Detroit’s keeping him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Zero homers and a 1.100+ OPS over two weeks. That's a bit unusual, though only five starts. Was he injured or something?

Baddoo is platooning for sure -- only 3 starts all year vs LHP, and only 1 over the last month (vs struggling KC rookie Daniel Lynch).

Although Baddoo's only been starting about 50% of the games vs RHP the last two weeks too. LHB Harold Castro is one of Detroit's better hitters and they've worked him into the outfield mix lately. They're also still stubbornly committed to LHB Mazara, and they just optioned RHB Jones for switch hitter Reyes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

I agree, Baddoo would not have debuted in 2021 for the Twins, even with all the injuries. 

I can’t speak for the OP of this thread, but think the argument @Doctor Gast and a few others were making was that Baddoo could have been protected on the 40 man just fine, if that was the priority. Blankenhorn is already gone; there are a few borderline pitchers on the 40 man (in some cases on the 26 man) not doing much for us, in my opinion. Those guys were protected, Baddoo was not. Like I said, I didn’t have an opinion on Baddoo when Baddoo was selected away, but Doctor Gast did, and kudos to him for saying so!

Blankenhorn was released in part because the team realized his glove didn't play as an infielder. They let him go because they didn't want another fringy outfielder taking up 40-man space so it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring him into the conversation.

And we really need to stop bringing up pitchers in this conversation. While the front office might occasionally flip one or two 40-man spots between pitchers and position players, they generally stick to X number of pitchers and Y number of position players, especially if we're talking about people who they don't expect to contribute in Minnesota this season. They're not going to sink a pitcher spot on the 40-man on a fringe position player for an entire season because that could blow up pretty spectacularly mid-season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vanimal46 said:

Baddoo’s streaky play is expected when he hasn’t played above A+ ball, nor play a single game for the last 18 months. His stats through May 27th are pretty impressive given the circumstances. Unless he starts going 0 for the century, Detroit’s keeping him. 

Detroit kept Victor Reyes and his 42 OPS+ as a Rule 5 outfielder in 2018, there's no doubt they are keeping Baddoo now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

I agree, Baddoo would not have debuted in 2021 for the Twins, even with all the injuries. 

I can’t speak for the OP of this thread, but think the argument @Doctor Gast and a few others were making was that Baddoo could have been protected on the 40 man just fine, if that was the priority. Blankenhorn is already gone; there are a few borderline pitchers on the 40 man (in some cases on the 26 man) not doing much for us, in my opinion. Those guys were protected, Baddoo was not. Like I said, I didn’t have an opinion on Baddoo when Baddoo was selected away, but Doctor Gast did, and kudos to him for saying so!

Thank you, Hosken! Appreciate your comment. I think many could see his talent and his left handed bat would've been a great CF asset. The problem is properly managing the 40 man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Doctor Gast said:

Thank you, Hosken! Appreciate your comment. I think many could see his talent and his left handed bat would've been a great CF asset. The problem is properly managing the 40 man.

I'd also like to add that I think Baddo needed more time in minors to develop before being called up. Now with Detroit he'll have to develop under fire.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...