Twins Daily
  • Create Account

MLB moves All-Star Game from Atlanta

Nine of twelve

Good for MLB. I'm not going to bother going through a step by step discussion of SarasotaBill's post. Here's a link from the NYTImes that pretty effectively refutes all of those things.

I know some pretty good lawyers who work exclusively on voting rights, including several at the ACLU. Every knowledgeable voice agree on the same thing - the law is designed to reduce the voting power of people of color. That really isn't surprising but it's worth remembering and saying out loud. 

I will not spend three hours going through every NY Times (no agenda-please) point. Here's the first point: Voter ID (free) or Driver's License Number is required for absentee ballot. Why? Because people who want absentee ballots will sign them with their VoterID or DL instead of a signature. Why? Signature is objective to verify and takes longer. Voter ID or DL # can be verified quickly and can't be rejected for partisan reasons. 

I just re-read the beginning of the article and I addressed the second point. The first point changes from 180 to 78 days to request a absentee ballot. I don't know the reason and not going to spend time to research if there is a good reason. If not, then it should be changed.

The point is partisan people have a agenda and Manfred did not read the bill nor talk with the Governor. If there issues then have a discussion. Please don't quote ACLU as a neutral party. The GA governor mentioned Delta Airlines and Coca Cola legislative representatives had no complaints during the process (only after the left went crazy). Good luck to all. I'm done with MLB. Last post.     

You should find sources outside your usual ones to recap this law.

When you close urban polling places, allow the elderly to early and mail in vote but no one else, and even make it criminal to give waiting voters food and water?

Well....reasonable people can see the real purpose.

Umm .... they don't allow people affiliated with campaigns to give out food & water.   They do allow campaigns to give food & water to poll workers, who can distribute it.  

Geez, the ignorance of some people.

Perhaps an elected partisan who signed said bill is not a great source from which to pull objective information.

Perhaps a partisan posting on a message board isn't a good source for "objective" information either.

And quoting the New York Times?  Why don't you just quote Biden?

Umm .... they don't allow people affiliated with campaigns to give out food & water.   They do allow campaigns to give food & water to poll workers, who can distribute it.  

Geez, the ignorance of some people.

Definitely seems like the hill to die on there.  I'm sure we could give them water with fire hoses though.  Seems in spirit with the law.

Perhaps a partisan posting on a message board isn't a good source for "objective" information either.

And quoting the New York Times? Why don't you just quote Biden?

WHATABOUT WHATABOUT

I’ve made two comments in this thread. The first was a warning to keep it civil. The second was questioning the quoting of a partisan official.

Perhaps instead of refuting something I didn’t say, try providing information that furthers the conversation.

I knew I should have ignored this thread. Without going into this too deeply, the first time I voted in 1992 I did so without any ID. I wasn't a registered voter. I had just turned 18 but didn't have a DL. My father came with me and told them that I was 18. That was enough. And that had been enough for 200+ years of voting in America. It wasn't until 2006 when Indiana was the first state that required ID. Why? Because it was an added obstacle to vote.

One of the truly ugly things about America is that is really expensive to be poor. Is the voter ID free? Maybe, depending on the state, but what documents do you need to get an ID? Depending on the state, it might be a birth certificate which, if you don't have it, might cost you 25-50 dollars as well as several weeks/months to get. Other states might require a notarized statement, so go find a notary. I don't think there is a single state that recognizes an expired ID so if you were driving and you got your ID taken away for some reason (usually insurance based) you now probably can't vote and you have to jump through hoops to get some kind of ID while dealing with the original problem. Some states might give you one free ID but if you move, the next ID isn't free, etc. On and on it goes.

There's a reason why the experts - not the biased voices of political parties - all agree that voter ID laws are racist: They are designed to reduce the voting power of people of color. Everything else is just background noise.

Milwaukee should be the new host city. The Aaron tribute still needs to happen in an appropriate venue. I feel for the Braves and their fans, because this is obviously directed at the state and not the team.

Excellent suggestion. Milwaukee last hosted all the way back in 2002, so it’s not outlandish to think of going back there.

Can’t require an ID to vote, but you won’t be able to buy a loaf of bread without your vaccine passport comrade. Oh well we had a good run. You’ll miss her when she’s gone

You must have listened to Mark Levin today? That was exactly his argument. That is, to change the subject! (I listen sometimes, hear what he's freaking out about, and then change back to NPR ... I guess that makes me a communist, right comrade?).

blatant racism???? WTF????? GA law:
- More voting machines in minority areas
- “Partisan free zone” (which includes water & food from partisan groups) in 150 feet from voting poll
- Mandates mail drop off boxes in every voting district
- Adds early voting days on weekends
- “Sign” absentee ballots by using your Voter ID or Driver’s ID instead of your signature (faster to process absentee ballots)
- Free Voter IDs
I live in Florida but I find the MLB quick decision to be politically based and not fact based.

You should read the NYT article already linked.  The intent of the law is clear.

Americans should want their fellow citizens to do their civic duty and participate in elections.  Any party that undermines that for their own electoral ends should be rejected vociferously for their actions.  It is, above all else, deeply unamerican.  In this context it doubles as racist.

As for where to hold the game, the franchise that has gone the longest without hosting the ASG is the Dodgers, who most recently hosted in 1980. They were scheduled to be last year's host and are now scheduled for 2022. (Tampa Bay is the only team never to have hosted.)

My very humble suggestion is to have the Dodgers host this year. I would think they have some people and plans already in place and would be more prepared to ramp up quickly than anyone else.

The way I see it, there's only one question to answer:

Why are Black Georgians so against this bill and if all of this is egalitarian, why would they be against it?

Because the bill is *not* egalitarian.

Instead of listening to a talking head or an elected official with an agenda, consider listening to those who are impacted by this law; and those voices almost unanimously disagree with this bill.

Maybe instead of quoting and arguing over news sources, befriend a Black person and believe their story.

It may change your life.

Not really sure how the current discussion on this thread is very productive.

Where should the game be played? I've got your answer: Rickwood Field in Birmingham Alabama. This is the oldest professional baseball stadium in the USA - still plays host to Birmingham Barons games - and Birmingham is famous for being the city where civil rights in this country were born. It's almost too perfect. Game stays in the South.

FWIW, I support the sentiment behind the decision. But there are a lot of people working the ASG who had nothing to do with the new legislation. Parking attendants, vendors, restaurants, and local PR firms were set to get an economic boost this summer in ATL. Many of these people are the very same folks who are targeted by this law. Atlanta isn't just made up of Coca-Cola and Delta workers. This will be a blow to the local small businesses, many of them black-owned and operated.

We could argue this to death. In the end, for me I come to TD for baseball and the only thing I want to argue about is whether Colome should be replaced by Robles or Rogers.

Why are Black Georgians so against this bill and if all of this is egalitarian, why would they be against it?

Instead of listening to a talking head or an elected official with an agenda, consider listening to those who are impacted by this law; and those voices almost unanimously disagree with this bill.

Maybe instead of quoting and arguing over news sources, befriend a Black person and believe their story.

It may change your life.

Shut this thread down dude.  This is cancerous for this site and a negative on community.  It serves no purpose and none of the arguments here have anything to do with baseball.

Everyone should take this advice. Also, think about cutting news consumption (especially non-local) by about 90%.

Local news is not much better, and I have long not been a fan of it. The one and only purpose of local news is to earn money for the station. That means getting as many viewers as possible to sell advertising at as high a rate as possible. That in turn is not necessarily conducive to thorough, properly-prioritized, neutral reporting. The process is geared more toward presentation and cultivation of on-air personalities than being informative. To illustrate what I mean, someone I know made a very telling comment when weather broadcaster Paul Douglas left channel 11 in the mid-90's. She said, "He was my favorite character!"

Where should the game be played? I've got your answer: Rickwood Field in Birmingham Alabama. This is the oldest professional baseball stadium in the USA - still plays host to Birmingham Barons games - and Birmingham is famous for being the city where civil rights in this country were born. It's almost too perfect. Game stays in the South.

I appreciate the thought and sentiment behind this, but I wonder if the stadium and community would be able to accommodate the logistics and the influx of people associated with the ASG. 

what a joke, forget about biased links, read the actual law. Over and out

Google the Media Bias Chart. The AP is at the top in the middle. Therefore you might find unbiased coverage. For example, I like the New Yorker and the NYT but I realize they do lean left, especially the New Yorker so I keep that in mind. Then I check things out on the AP and find solid journalism there. At times I check in on Fox News and the WSJ. We are bombarded from every direction with information these days and it can get overwhelming. Because there is so much questionable info out there I find it important to put in a little effort to try to understand crucial events.

I was raised democrat, to believe in equality and justice for all. To keep the rich elite from exploiting their leverage over the disadvantage, no bias on race or belief and rights for labor and farmers.

The focus in the past was equipping our youth with tools to think for themselves so they can achieve their dreams. Now the focus is no longer on education but on endocrination. What comes to mind is what a professor taught "seek out enough to believe you are right but not enough to know that they are wrong". Another words believe what we tell you and seek out information to support it but don't seek truth, to be "woke". Many professors are no longer interested to equip students to think but to create minions to carry out their agenda.

This fight isn't democrats against republicans. It's the "woke" against the unwoke. The far-left and the far-right believe in totalitarism (dictatorship) and they are united in bringing down democracy, and everything that we hold dear. The only rights they believe in is their own.

Asking for identification in elections is as racist as asking for identification in buying firearms or any other process. Identification is only to keep the process legal and keep people from abusing it. Anyone who is against asking for identification is someone who wants to abuse the system.

Manfred isn't interested in the sport, he's only interested in pleasing the "woke" culture. The woke culture has grossly underestimated the silent majority. This move could very well come back and bite him. Baseball is in decline this move will further injure the sport. I hate politics and my objective isn't to make anyone angry but I know it will. I'm encouraging people to think for themselves and to wake up the"woke".

Again, you specifically asked for sources. Now you're moving the goalposts to a nebulous "listening to those who are impacted" standard. 

Here's the actual text of the bill. If you choose to read it you'll notice that it's filled with rather mundane rule changes to a pre-existing law. Things such as limiting the ability for an election superintendent to receive donations from partisan groups, and altering the process of an election board, and how a poll watcher must reside in the county either of the precinct or a county bordering. 

The narrative of this bill being "racist" is exactly that, a narrative, and the narrative itself is ironically racist in that it makes the argument of, "This group of people - based solely off of the pigmentation of their skin - can't vote if you don't allow free water." (and other equally specious arguments)

It may change your life.

You asked for a source. Also, as the moderator is just seems prudent to not take a side.

I’m a human being raising Black children. It would be wildly irresponsible and detrimental to those I love the most in this world to sit back and not take a side in this conversation.

I will do my best to be respectful in this conversation but frankly, I’m mad as hell and have a right to be. It only saddens me that so many *aren’t* mad as hell at this situation.