• Create Account

To rephrase myself, I'd trade 2 or more lesser value players for a greater valued player. Ideally from an excess area for an area of need. Teams do that all the time. That is how I'd help make room and improve the quality of the 40 man.

I don't think teams do this all the time. I'd be hard pressed to find this type of thing done consistently. 

I also think that there's an assumption that we didn't try and deal Badoo... we don't know. I suspect the FO didn't think he'd be taken, and understandably so, but any time you leave a guy unprotected, you run that risk. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I'm in favor of much more actively trading the prospects, I'm not ready to close the book on these two just yet. Looking beyond his ERA, Wells looks like he's actually been pretty bad in his ver

This year's Rule 5 draft we lost Akil Baddo and Tyler Wells. So I thought I'd check to see how they were doing. 1st I checked on Baddo, hoping he was doing terrible so he'd be returned quickly to the

Baseball America had interesting piece a couple of weeks ago. Teams average only 11 prospects in a given year in their minor league systems that will have at least 3 year MLB careers. Considering each

I'd trade 2 or more lesser value players for a greater valued player. Ideally from an excess area for an area of need. Teams do that all the time. That is how I'd help make room and improve the quality of the 40 man.

The only time this happens is when you're trading for a star MLB player.

Unless you're the Rockies, who trade a star for basically nothing.

PS. Don't be the Rockies.

While I wish Baddoo and Wells nothing but the best, if they continue to succeed, this forum will be unusable without blocking a pretty decent chunk of posters. Every thread will include numerous references to them as proof that random internet forum members are smarter at managing an MLB organization than the people that actually have the job.

Never mind inconvenient details . . . like the fact that trading mediocre depth for superior talent is something that never happens, zero out of 30 clubs are able to use such a strategy . . . all 30 clubs leave prospects with some degree of upside unprotected, unless their system is terrible . . . Baddoo was ranked by FG as Detroit's #18 prospect before the season, and some other sources had him even lower . . . 

This whole topic is a complete nothingburger, 100% hindsight bias and fantasy thinking.

You mean like how PED Ortiz was brought up every other day for 15 years? Annoying, wasn't it?

While I wish Baddoo and Wells nothing but the best, if they continue to succeed, this forum will be unusable without blocking a pretty decent chunk of posters. Every thread will include numerous references to them as proof that random internet forum members are smarter at managing an MLB organization than the people that actually have the job.

Never mind inconvenient details . . . like the fact that trading mediocre depth for superior talent is something that never happens, zero out of 30 clubs are able to use such a strategy . . . all 30 clubs leave prospects with some degree of upside unprotected, unless their system is terrible . . . Baddoo was ranked by FG as Detroit's #18 prospect before the season, and some other sources had him even lower . . . 

This whole topic is a complete nothingburger, 100% hindsight bias and fantasy thinking.

Well... I went through the Rule 5 "Protection" thread that included some talk on which prospects should be protected. I counted a single post that said "we should protect Baddoo". 

If anyone is claiming that they knew this was coming... let's see the evidence. While there were some concerned he could be picked, nobody expected this outcome.

Well... I went through the Rule 5 "Protection" thread that included some talk on which prospects should be protected. I counted a single post that said "we should protect Baddoo". 

If anyone is claiming that they knew this was coming... let's see the evidence. While there were some concerned he could be picked, nobody expected this outcome.

The FO had an idea he could. https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-no-74-pick-akil-baddoo-agree-to-deal-c184202598 They took a chance on roster flexibility and lost a player, The true nonsense of this thread is thinking he will continue to hit this way. I liked the Cael Crawford comp. His OPS was .781 for the Rays. He became a handsomely paid mediocre player.  Eddie Rosario with the same OPS did not. 

Maybe not many believed that Baddo and Wells could've been selected. But because of teams shedding payroll and not going after FAs, that opens up the rule 5 draft as a source. Twins have capitalized on it for years. This increases the possibility to losing them.

This comes back the point. Were Baddo and Wells worth protecting or not? If so, we need to find a way to do so. I offered my suggestion.

Just not to go around the same tree again. Although, I believe we need more depth in true CFs and pitchers and Baddo and Wells could some day make the team (especially Baddo because he's a LH hitter which opens a platoon opportunity). But some how after we developed them, they don't, they make good trading pieces due to their high demand positions.