• Create Account

Simmons has visa issues

Per multiple sources, new Minnesota Twins shortstop Andrelton Simmons has been delayed to the team's camp by visa issues. The exact details are unclear at the moment, though manager Rocco Baldelli described it as "travel-related"- saying that it could take a few days to resolve.

Sounds too much like what was said of Fernando Romero's absence last spring when it was reported that "He is still in the Dominican Republic as he sorts out visa/immigration issues."

Boy do I hope I'm overreacting...

It actually doesn't sound at all like Romero's situation. Romero was actually on his way and was stopped at customs/immigration and was not allowed in and sent back home. It wasn't a visa issue, at least from how it all unfolded. Visa issues with ball players are not uncommon. But, yeah ... hope it gets resolved quickly.

It actually doesn't sound at all like Romero's situation. Romero was actually on his way and was stopped at customs/immigration and was not allowed in and sent back home. It wasn't a visa issue, at least from how it all unfolded. Visa issues with ball players are not uncommon. But, yeah ... hope it gets resolved quickly.

Didn't Romero trying bringing Marijuana into the US? Or something dumb like that?

Didn't Romero trying bringing Marijuana into the US? Or something dumb like that?

I don't know what it was, but yeah, was a dumb move, and was different than the usual visa problems that many ball players face.

Correct. Got caught with weed at customs and basically got blackballed from entering the country after that. This has been reported by reliable sources, not just amjgt on Twins Daily :)

i wonder if it has something to do with COVID protocols?

Exactly. The exact reason isn't confirmed, but travel isn't exactly easy these days. And international, visa-related travel wasn't easy to begin with. And a new presidential administration with changing policies at the same time. Perfect storm.

The same thing happened with a bunch of NHL players. If they didn't have a contract early enough, they had no basis for a work visa so they couldn't apply. Once they signed a contract they could apply for a work visa which takes time to work through the system. I would venture a guess that us what is happening with Simmons.

There's really no reason to be worried about it at this point. They've given no reason, but they've said all teh same things they said with Albers and Albers has now arrived. I'm sure it's just a 'visa' issue...

I sure hope you are right Seth. 

Just a bit gun-shy with what happened to Romero last spring (his situation did not seem like a big deal when it was FIRST reported last spring) plus adding Simmons issues at the end of last season.

Will be very relieved when he actually arrives...

Correct. Got caught with weed at customs and basically got blackballed from entering the country after that. This has been reported by reliable sources, not just amjgt on Twins Daily :)

Should've told them it was medicinal for his cataracts. Honestly, as hard as it was for him to find the plate at times, maybe it was his eyes.

Should've told them it was medicinal for his cataracts. Honestly, as hard as it was for him to find the plate at times, maybe it was his eyes.

I did notice that no one has signed him yet.

Another example that K/9 is NOT the only measure of a good pitcher as Romero's 11.9 K/9 in 2019 would have many on this board drooling...

Another example that K/9 is NOT the only measure of a good pitcher as Romero's 11.9 K/9 in 2019 would have many on this board drooling...

Romero is set to play in Japan this year.

As to speculation around Simmons, it seems like there’s at least one MLB/MiLB player in the org every spring whose arrival is delayed due to visa issues, but Romero is the first Twins player that I can recall where the visa was straight denied due to attempting to enter the US with marijuana. Also, I believe that Simmons has been pretty open in stating that his issues at the end of last season were mental health-related, exacerbated by covid concerns, so I think it’s fair to assume that his visa issues are purely procedural.

Are these "Visa issues" in pro sports more about the maturity and accountability of the players?

It's not like the actual dates of Spring Training were just established and finalized.

It's not like the fact that  a Visa is required to enter the USA was just invented out of thin air.

The players have a signed contract to perform their jobs and getting in to the USA is a part of that contract.

If nothing else, the player's agent should be "babysitting" the players to ensure that all necessary paperwork to secure a Visa has been submitted and processed in a timely manner that allows the player to report to Spring Training when it is to begin.  In fact, a player who is joining a new team should have extra desire to arrive at Spring Training EARLY to: forge a comradery with their new teammates, establish relationships with a new coaching staff, and to get situated and familiar with a new Spring Training site.

This continual, annual "Visa Issue" situation speaks to the lack of a player's maturity, motivation, desire and commitment.  Each and every time this delay takes place should give organizations pause out of concern for the player's motivation..  

Are these "Visa issues" in pro sports more about the maturity and accountability of the players?

It's not like the actual dates of Spring Training were just established and finalized.

It's not like the fact that  a Visa is required to enter the USA was just invented out of thin air.

The players have a signed contract to perform their jobs and getting in to the USA is a part of that contract.

If nothing else, the player's agent should be "babysitting" the players to ensure that all necessary paperwork to secure a Visa has been submitted and processed in a timely manner that allows the player to report to Spring Training when it is to begin.  In fact, a player who is joining a new team should have extra desire to arrive at Spring Training EARLY to: forge a comradery with their new teammates, establish relationships with a new coaching staff, and to get situated and familiar with a new Spring Training site.

This continual, annual "Visa Issue" situation speaks to the lack of a player's maturity, motivation, desire and commitment.  Each and every time this delay takes place should give organizations pause out of concern for the player's motivation..  

It's the employer's job to secure a work visa, so a big flat no.

Actually Im sure I heard the Twins released him so he could go play in Japan of Korea or something like that

true that!

I wonder if part of the issue was that his employer wasn't known until early Feb. Tough to get paperwork started when "EMPLOYER" is a field that you can't fill out.

I spoke with an immigration lawyer, and this is the most likely case. It's pretty common that players that sign late in the offseason end up being late because of delays in processing their immigration forms. I like an earlier point - that the employer has to file the paperwork to let them into the country - so the whole process can't really get started until they're officially signed .

What's more, he said Curacao is also notorious for scrutinizing the paperwork to justify players leaving the country to play. So ... shrug.

By the way, it looks like Didi Gregorious, who is also from Curacao and also a late-signing shortstop, also has been delayed to reporting to the Phillies camp because of visa issues, too. Although it looks like he's showing up today:

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-didi-gregorius-joe-girardi-mlb-spring-training-2021-20210225.html

By the way, it looks like Didi Gregorious, who is also from Curacao and also a late-signing shortstop, also has been delayed to reporting to the Phillies camp because of visa issues, too. Although it looks like he's showing up today:

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-didi-gregorius-joe-girardi-mlb-spring-training-2021-20210225.html

hoping it's something like this and not the sudden discovery that he's a couple years older and was born with a different name. 

This is a total misconception. 1) A work Visa is requested by the employer. The employee only shows up at the consulate to be interviewed and get the papers signed by the consul. 2) The decision to authorize the Visa is up to the Consul. You could have everything right but the Consul may decide to take his time and you can't do anything about it. I know this things because I am an immigrant, so they are part of my living experience.