Twins Daily
  • Create Account

40 Man Roster

Coobelz

So it looks like you were right and I was wrong once again.  They are sending Gibaut down so they must really like how Garlic fits to keep him on the 40 man.

Well it may have had more to do with the fact that it worked the first two times passing relievers through waivers so they might as well roll the dice again.

Also, there still seems to be quiet a few signable relievers available, so any team looking to get a nibble from one of these guys may be less inclined to waste a 40-man spot:

Jesse Chavez (37)
Tyler Clippard (36)
Shane Greene (32)
Jeremy Jeffress (33)
Ian Kennedy (36)
Juan Nicasio (34)
Roberto Osuna (26)
Brad Peacock (33)
AJ Ramos (34)
David Robertson (36)
Ryan Tepera (33)
Tyler Thornburg (32)
Edinson Volquez (37)

Jose Alvarez (32)

Also starters like Trevor Cahill, Tyson Ross and Zack Godley who may be looking at a relief roll.

Well it may have had more to do with the fact that it worked the first two times passing relievers through waivers so they might as well roll the dice again.

Also, there still seems to be quiet a few signable relievers available, so any team looking to get a nibble from one of these guys may be less inclined to waste a 40-man spot.

Jesse Chavez (37)

Tyler Clippard (36)

Shane Greene (32)

Jeremy Jeffress (33)

Ian Kennedy (36)

Juan Nicasio (34)

Roberto Osuna (26)

Brad Peacock (33)

AJ Ramos (34)

David Robertson (36)

Ryan Tepera (33)

Tyler Thornburg (32)

Edinson Volquez (37)

Jose Alvarez (32)

Also starters like Trevor Cahill, Tyson Ross and Zack Godley who may be looking at a relief roll.

They’re doing a helluva job obtaining quality upside depth.,.Gibaut, Waddell and Hamilton all clearing waivers. St. Paul is gonna have a nice little pen this summer. I do agree with the above quote that one more quality reliever/SP would be nice to round things out.

Also, being mindful of character issues, Osuna on a Pineda like 2 year deal might be worth considering.

Also, there still seems to be quiet a few signable relievers available, so any team looking to get a nibble from one of these guys may be less inclined to waste a 40-man spot.

Jesse Chavez (37)
Tyler Clippard (36)
Shane Greene (32)
Jeremy Jeffress (33)
Ian Kennedy (36)
Juan Nicasio (34)
Roberto Osuna (26)
Brad Peacock (33)
AJ Ramos (34)
David Robertson (36)
Ryan Tepera (33)
Tyler Thornburg (32)
Edinson Volquez (37)

Jose Alvarez (32)

Do you think Garlic stays on the 40 man or will the Twins make another move?  I guess they are a little short on quality outfielders at AAA so maybe making sure they hung onto him was the greater priority.

Maybe I am over thinking this stuff too much but I believe Tampa just traded with the Rangers for some pitching depth so maybe the Twins thought now was a good time try and get Gibaut through waivers but were more concerned Tampa might grab Garlic?  Or do you think they honestly want to keep Garlic on the 40 man because they plan to use him during the season?

While I know the Twins don't have a ton of power righties ready to step in it seems a bit odd to think they want to carry another outfielder when there is a log jam in left field with Cave, Rooker, Arraez, eventually Kirilloff and Larnach.  Is Garlic just Rooker injury insurance or do you think the Twins would platoon both of them against Lefties?  Just not sure what the thinking is and like I said might be over thinking it but I am curious as to why they wanted to keep Garlic on the 40 man.

If the Twins can win division crowns with #2/#3 starters like Carlos Silva, I'm not understanding the problem with #5 Dobnak. This doesn't even mention the division crowns the team won in that era with the always-changing rag-tag crew of #3s to #5s, who in retrospect probably should have been dressed in clown suits. It's not hard to see why those teams rolled over in the playoffs.

I share Falvey's enthusiasm for this pitching crew, including Dobnak. We all should. This pitching staff, if it remains healthy, is the best we have seen in a long time.

Because winning divisions (poor ones at that) is not the end goal. Its winning play off games, series, and getting to and winning a WS. Thats why. 

Don’t forget the K. No - I’m not talking about strike-outs, I’m actually writing anyways. And I’m writing about spelling. It’s Kyle Garlick. Like he’s licking a fish.

lol Thanks I totally messed that up.

What's your advice for Kirilloff, who is frequently rendered incorrectly? :)

Maybe people just have to learn the correct spelling...

It never ceases to amaze me how many different and often rather creative misspellings of Kirilloff's name can be found around the internet. I wonder how many home runs he has to hit before people get his name right. If ever. ;)

What's your advice for Kirilloff, who is frequently rendered incorrectly? :)

I do it like this. Which are the double consonants? I think off. so two f's. I think Killebrew (Killer) so two l's. So I always remember Kirilloff. Two l's and two f's. Done. That's what works for me. Engrained like a knot on a log for me now.

I split it into three words Kir-ill-off (Kir is a cocktail)

Oooooo, I like that. ill and off. And I learned a new cocktail. 1/4 ounce crème de cassis and 5 ounces​ white wine (dry). I don't think I would be fond of it, but I will try it tom-or-row.

The History of the Kir Cocktail
The kir became popular in French cafes in the middle of the 19th century. It was further popularized by Felix Kir after World War II. The then-mayor of Dijon in Burgundy, France, served the drink often to promote his region's fine products (wine and crème de cassis). The name kir has been associated with the drink ever since and has become generic enough that Webster's Dictionary lists it in lower case.