• Create Account

40 Man Roster

Coobelz

Love yesterdays activity, and if reports are correct we may not be done.  With a full 40 man and assuming we sign a viable #5 or another pen arm, who do you think gets cut off the 40 man?  A very quick glance and I would think Marcus Peery, who we scooped on waivers from TB, might be first in line.

Thoughts? 

Have to believe it would Ian Gibault or Brandon Wadell as they are both unproven arms that with help could be good pickups or they also could be AAAA players hard to say at this point but I think it would be one or both of them depending on how things shake out. Twins 40 man

I think you would be hard pressed to give up on anyone else.  Maybe Austudillo given they have Garver, Jeffers and Rortvedt on the 40 man and another in AAA who could fill in if necessary. I would say the light hitting Gordon as well but we do not have a dearth of middle infield help in the system so they might like him for utility role.  Almost anyone else you would want to work a trade and not just cut.

I did a search on both MLB.com and MiLB.com for Marcus Peery and came up empty.

Man, it really should be him that's removed then.

If Ol' Marcus is fortunate enough to keep his spot, I'd guess Astudillo if it's a bat, Gibaut if it's an arm. Gibaut looks more interesting than Waddell, but looking at Gibaut's numbers, it looks like it's going to take an adjustment for the ages to fix his control.

I don't think Marcus Peery exists, but if someone was added to the 40 man:  It'd probably first be Gibaut, then Thorpe, Astudillo, Wade Jr, Waddell. Not sure where to put Gordon since he's only got one option left and has had problems getting on the field, but is the only backup SS on the 40 man.

I don't think Marcus Peery exists

After some further searching I found this intriguing reference to him from a reputable site.

Man, it really should be him that's removed then.

You make a fair point. But the more I think about it, cutting him could be a mistake.

1. The man has literally zero chance of regression in 2021.
  2. Now that his name's been established, fans will defy Covid rules and flock to the park to satisfy their curiosity.
  3. Advance scouts will be mystified and have no book on him.
  4. The commissioner's office would never approve the DFA anyway.

I say hang onto Marcus. Cut Gibaut or Waddell if need be.

Yikes had a name copied for work and used that bad error on my part. Wish I had a better excuse.

I hope you took the good-natured joshing in the spirit of fun in which it was offered. I also hope the real Marcus Peery runs across this thread, and wonders "what the WHAT?"

Now that the mystery of Marcus Peery's name is solved, who is the player we actually scooped from Tampa Bay? :)

Once we get into spring training, you have to potential to 60-day disable someone (which you hope doesn't happen). 

What was most impressed was that the Front Office knew what roster spots they wished to fill with free agents, and have done so accordingly.

They also have the potential to do more things like the Wade trade. Cave would be a tradable commodity. Thorpe (and Smeltzer) can be tradable assets. Any of them, I would be more than happy to get back minor league depth of guys NOT necessary to 40-man, if it means can get a free agent, to, who will contribute today.

Once we get into spring training, you have to potential to 60-day disable someone (which you hope doesn't happen). 

What was most impressed was that the Front Office knew what roster spots they wished to fill with free agents, and have done so accordingly.

They also have the potential to do more things like the Wade trade. Cave would be a tradable commodity. Thorpe (and Smeltzer) can be tradable assets. Any of them, I would be more than happy to get back minor league depth of guys NOT necessary to 40-man, if it means can get a free agent, to, who will contribute today.

Yeah unless Cave has a really good year I think they try and trade him next after they put Larnach on the 40 man.  Hopefully Celestino has a good year and he can back up Buxton next year.  Rooker, Kirilloff and Larnach can be rotated in left and right maybe platoon Rooker with Kepler and that should be plenty of depth.  The year after they will have to decide if they want to add Wallner so there is always going to be someone ready for the outfield or 1st base pretty much every year.  I just don't think you want more than 6 outfielders on the 40 man though.

I hope you took the good-natured joshing in the spirit of fun in which it was offered. I also hope the real Marcus Peery runs across this thread, and wonders "what the WHAT?"

Now that the mystery of Marcus Peery's name is solved, who is the player we actually scooped from Tampa Bay? :)

I did...well played all who joined. It appears my question was well timed as to who is next off the 40 man with the today’s addition of Ian Hamilton

With the Dodgers signing Bauer, I can see the Twins push for one of their younger arms and give up some prospects in return. Urias, Gonsolin, or May would be a hefty price, but there is no way Dodgers keep that many arms, especially given their value

Or they could pay someone to take David Price.

"I’m excited about the starting group that we have for sure," Falvey said. "I feel like we have some good depth, some young guys coming, guys we’re excited about, guys we didn’t get a chance to see as much last year in addition to what we’ve been able to add. ... We’ll have some other conversations about other potential guys as well, and non-roster fits and others that will compete in that space, but I feel really good about our pitching right now."

So.....José Berríos, Kenta Maeda, Michael Pineda and J.A. Happ, ...... and Dobnak? Going with Dobnak? I guess that would make Dobnak the "development" prize from Falvey so far?

Jhoan Duran, Jordan Balazovic, Devin Smeltzer, Lewis Thorpe, Dakota Chalmers and Bailey Ober the depth? 

It just doesn't make me excited as I was hoping when comparing to other team's staffs that have eyes on the big prize.

One more 40-man move will have to be made for Shoemaker. Who gets the axe this time? Garlick would make sense or else Gibaut.

I haven't studied the current construction, but it's often a pitcher for a pitcher.

And last year the 40-man was very pitcher-heavy already, so it's hard to justify increasing that ratio of pitcher-to-position player.

Since Hamilton and Waddell cleared waivers and we were able to keep them I wager one over the internet dollar that it will be a Gibaut.

Gibaut was my bet last time, so I guess I'll keep riding with him as my pick.

But without having seeing any of those three pitch and solely relying on what's on the back of their baseball cards, it's hard to see how Gibaut and his high walk rates was kept over the other two. Maybe there's something sneaky about this guy that the FO is excited about tapping into.

I guess maybe his control was only an issue in his brief MLB stints and is seen as a bit of an outlier with his MiLB track record?

But without having seeing any of those three pitch and solely relying on what's on the back of their baseball cards, it's hard to see how Gibaut and his high walk rates was kept over the other two. Maybe there's something sneaky about this guy that the FO is excited about tapping into.

I guess maybe his control was only an issue in his brief MLB stints and is seen as a bit of an outlier with his MiLB track record?

Yeah I think they try to pass Garlic through. They honestly don't need another slow left fielder even if he is a righty.  Nice for depth but not a need in my mind. 

Gibaut was with Tampa before being claimed by the Rangers so I am thinking the Twins don't think he will pass through waivers without Tampa grabbing him back.  Scouting the stat line he was lights out at AAA in 2018.  Fantastic K rate and WHIP, then in 2019 and 2020 it is like he suddenly lost control and was walking guys like crazy.  If the Twins can fix him they might end up with an elite reliever on a waiver claim.  That has to be the reason they are keeping him on the 40 man because he has looked pretty bad the last two years granted in a small sample size.

So.....José Berríos, Kenta Maeda, Michael Pineda and J.A. Happ, ...... and Dobnak? Going with Dobnak? I guess that would make Dobnak the "development" prize from Falvey so far?

If the Twins can win division crowns with #2/#3 starters like Carlos Silva, I'm not understanding the problem with #5 Dobnak. This doesn't even mention the division crowns the team won in that era with the always-changing rag-tag crew of #3s to #5s, who in retrospect probably should have been dressed in clown suits. It's not hard to see why those teams rolled over in the playoffs.

I share Falvey's enthusiasm for this pitching crew, including Dobnak. We all should. This pitching staff, if it remains healthy, is the best we have seen in a long time.

I don't think Marcus Peery exists, but if someone was added to the 40 man:  It'd probably first be Gibaut, then Thorpe, Astudillo, Wade Jr, Waddell. Not sure where to put Gordon since he's only got one option left and has had problems getting on the field, but is the only backup SS on the 40 man.

I think Sidd FInch would be just the kind of reclamation project the Twins would be interested in. Would love to see what Wes Johnson could do for him. 

So it looks like you were right and I was wrong once again.  They are sending Gibaut down so they must really like how Garlic fits to keep him on the 40 man.