• Create Account

I had no interest in Matt Jones. Still don't. Good for him if he works out; but this is 2021, I want a QB who can move.

My interest in Fields was always pretty tepid, though I have to admit, when he started dropping and it looked like the Vikings could make a play for him, my interest was piqued. Would have liked Lance, but it was a bit of a relief once he was off the board right away as I knew I could commit to drafting a non-QB finally.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the two biggest issues on this roster right now are doubts about the kicking game and pass rush correct?   I actually like where the line is at for the first time in a long time.  Or at least I hav

I am generally a fan of this FO, but their drunken bender of extensions last year made zero sense then and even less sense now.

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

I didn't see what they offered, what was it?

Or are you just basing it on what the Bears gave up to move up?

They offered a 3rd and 4th to move up from 14 to 8. Carolina asked for a 2022 1st (can't tell if it was addition to the 3rd and 4th picks), and the Vikings said no.

On 6/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, TheLeviathan said:

What Dan said, they wanted to move up 6 spots and offered peanuts.  A 3rd and a 4th may not move you from 14 to 12 much less 8.  

Hmmm, 14 to 12 I think you might be under-selling. But to 8th I totally agree.

I find it slightly humorous the run this topic has had. If "trader  Rick"  REALLY liked Fields that much he would have coughed up more. At least next year's 2nd rounder. I believe he was just kicking tires and seeing what would happen. Obviously nobody bit or countered, BTW, do we know 100% that was the offer?

I have ZERO belief at this point that Mond will turn out to be our QB of the future. And I say that with due respect for talent and possibility. But then again the world has changed and how many 1st round QB have we seen continue to disappoint while 2nd, 3rd and 4th round selections like Wilson and Prescott emerge? 

Personally, I think Cousins is pretty damn good. The numbers say so despite a poor OL. NOT saying he's great, awesome, etc, but a poor OL and how many offensive co-ordinators just since he joined the Vikings?

Offensively, Zimmer needs to find something/someone that works. It feels like he and the team have been scrambling ever since Norv Turner stepped down. Stafanski seemed to the answer and then he got a HC job, I feel, despite solid numbers, that Kubiak was on borrowed time ready to retire. Is his son Klint ready to take over and bring new ideas? And if the answer is yes, then the offense should be better and more consistent. Consistency means better results, but also better and more consistent development for a kid like Mond. He's already a better backup than we've had for a couple years, even being a rookie. But he gets to sit now for 2yrs behind an experienced veteran. In theory, he gets to learn a system in place that won't change yet again.  He has the arm, athleticism and pro-college coaching that could lead to real development. (I've heard reports that his pro coaching in college may have been TOO stiff and he might relax and let his natural talent come through still). 

Who knows if Mond will develop and turn a corner over the next 2yrs. But he at least has a chance. 

If the Vikings FO REALLY loved Fields that much, they would have offered more, IMO.

If we can get another veteran DE to compete against Weatherly for his spot in the rotation I’d say that’s the cherry on top of a nice offseason. 

Also, I’m shocked that C Austin Reiter is still a free agent. Is he waiting for KC to clear cap space for him? I am still interested in signing him so Dozier can go. 

On 6/8/2021 at 4:34 PM, Mike Sixel said:

Another CB signed. They certainly know what they had to fix...... I'm a fan of hole plugging like this. 

On the surface I agree with you. But unless we suffer massive injuries to the secondary yet again, I just don't understand some of these latest signings, even if Gladney is gone for a few games half a season, or the whole season.

FWIW, I don't want to debate the charges against Gladney. I believe in due process and hopefully the truth will come out of what he did or claims he didn't do. 

But even without him I have faith Peterson gets new life with a new team. Alexander is only a year removed from a system he knows well and the one guy I really wanted them to keep. I don't feel Breeland is a STUD, but he's solid and experienced, Dantzler looks like a keeper. Hand showed flashes last year and seems to have potential and a future. Boyd is nothing special, but he shows some potential after 2yrs and has carved out a ST role. So even if Gladney IS gone for a time, I'm just not sure I see a need for 11 CB unless they plan on converting someone to S or hoping to carry a couple guys on the PS for depth. 

I love depth, But kind of feels like they may be over doing it at CB vs other spots.

On 6/8/2021 at 7:08 PM, Vanimal46 said:

If we can get another veteran DE to compete against Weatherly for his spot in the rotation I’d say that’s the cherry on top of a nice offseason. 

Also, I’m shocked that C Austin Reiter is still a free agent. Is he waiting for KC to clear cap space for him? I am still interested in signing him so Dozier can go. 

1] DE: Weatherly never should have left. He knows that now, barring a surprise in growth he's a reserve who is solid. He COULD surprise and I'll give him that. But he could also be cut. I just don't see a future for Holmes unless he suddenly cranks his game up a notch or two. Wonnum shows real potential, I really liked the Jones pick. He, like Wonnum, is a perfect fit for the system and a guy for Patterson to work with. Robinson is the same, with as much potential, but comes from a power 5 team on a downward trending team that maybe/probably didn't utilize and develop him properly. Do you dare cut a 4th round pick hoping for a PS spot? I don't think so.

When the Vikings don't put Mata'afa at NT,  he's been productive as a reserve. He played more DE in 2020 and flashed a bit. He could be an ideal 5th or 6th DE who can still slide in to the #3 spot here and there.

Speaking of an ideal fit for the last DE spot, Willekes is coming off a missed season due to injury. And no matter what he does in camp and pre-season he's probably a best fit for the PS in 2021. Everyone forgets about him. Award winning and productive, he just doesn't have amazing speed and length that make him a top draftee. And he wasn't, He was selected at least one round later then projected, if not two. Heart, determination, smarts, production are/were excellent. Overall numbers were solid. Videos show him doing back flips,  yet he was reported as a bad athlete. But missing a season  he's probably, again, a perfect PS stash. 

There are a couple veteran DE we can sign to make a difference for at least 1yr. I'm OK with that!

Reiter is very  interesting to me. I'm not sure I trust Cole as anything at this point, I love the potential of Hinton. The Vikings seem to like Brandel as a multi-position depth piece, but may need more time. Reminds me of a young Huffman. Reiter could be a great fit but I also wonder about Easton. Dozier has experience and versatility. He's not a bad run blocker. But can't we look towards getting better than him whether another FA or developing a couple interesting internal options?

On 6/8/2021 at 7:08 PM, Vanimal46 said:

KC has so many quality OL options that they have no need for Reiter anymore, with Blythe and 2nd round rookie Creed Humphrey. Reiter will likely sign somewhere for the minimum, which is baffling for how well PFF had him play, but the NFL is weird with free agents sometimes.

DEs out there worth signing IMO: Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, Everson Griffen, Olivier Vernon (if healthy, had an Achilles tear).

24 minutes ago, Danchat said:

KC has so many quality OL options that they have no need for Reiter anymore, with Blythe and 2nd round rookie Creed Humphrey. Reiter will likely sign somewhere for the minimum, which is baffling for how well PFF had him play, but the NFL is weird with free agents sometimes.

DEs out there worth signing IMO: Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, Everson Griffen, Olivier Vernon (if healthy, had an Achilles tear).

If Reiter is eventually signing for a cheap contract let’s bring him here. No such thing as too much interior OL depth after what we’ve watched over the last decade! 

Ingram is high on my list as well. Sign him and I’d say this is a fantastic offseason. 

4 hours ago, Danchat said:

Hunter is reportedly showing up for mandatory minicamp, which is great news. He’s still probably hoping for a raise, but at least we can see how healthy his neck is.

And he got a payday too. Win win! Rumor has it Sheldon Richardson could come back to the team as well. 

I’m amazed, honestly, that we haven’t encountered cap issues after spending to the cap limit for 4-5 years now. Give Rob Brzezinski a lifetime contract managing the cap. Am I reading this correctly on Spotrac? We now have $28 million in cap space to sign players before training camp? I keep thinking we’ll end up in cap hell like the Eagles… most recently the Falcons who traded Julio Jones in order to afford their draft class.  

Under that assumption, there’s plenty of room to extend O’Niell, and make another splash signing or 2 in the second wave of free agency. 

21 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

I’m amazed, honestly, that we haven’t encountered cap issues after spending to the cap limit for 4-5 years now. Give Rob Brzezinski a lifetime contract managing the cap. Am I reading this correctly on Spotrac? We now have $28 million in cap space to sign players before training camp? I keep thinking we’ll end up in cap hell like the Eagles… most recently the Falcons who traded Julio Jones in order to afford their draft class.  

Under that assumption, there’s plenty of room to extend O’Niell, and make another splash signing or 2 in the second wave of free agency. 

Spotrac has completely removed Hunter until the details of the deal are released, it seems. He was originally signed up for $17.25M and Tomasson's tweet states we'll save $3.73M of cap via the signing bonus, so doing the math (28.74 - 17.25 + 3.73) we are at $15.22M in cap space.

There are now rumors about the Vikings potentially bringing back Sheldon Richardson, which would be a great addition to rotate with Pierce and Tomlinson. That group of 3 DTs would be a massive upgrade from the disaster that was the DT spot in 2020.

If Richardson is indeed on the way, I can’t help thinking about a lot more 3-4 defensive looks next season. Richardson and Tomlinson on the outside, Pierce at nose. Barr finally lives his best life as an EDGE opposite Danielle. Man… That would be fun. 

I am and have pretty much always been OK with pro athletes earning as much as they can. (I've ALWAYS objected to the "this is it " mantra that I can't do anything the rest of my life at 35yo BS).  And Hunter is AMAZING and may be the best DE in the NFL. And he's still young! Healthy, he may be a HOF player who re-writes records. But come on, after a serious injury and missed season that could affect your entire career you want a raise? Sorry, but that bothers me. And despite the millions and billions that is the NFL....and the salary cap will absolutely rise next season.....you can only have so many $20M players on your team before the cap implodes. 

But I'm glad he's "in the fold" again. 

Richardson is unexpected. I really thought they would spend some $ on a veteran DE to help with the defense rather than trust Weatherly and a bunch of kids with potential.

This is all very exciting to me. We COULD have an amazing DL. But we are suddenly 6 deep at DT with no room for Watts, Lynch or Twyman? Are we only baking on 1yr vs the future? 

And does signing Richardson mean we don't have $ for another OL signing to compete/delete Dozier and add to OL depth?

Or does the FO and coaching staff really and truly believe we have a collection of players to actually put together not only a quality OL, but they believe the guys on hand to provide real depth?

Hey, I think Hinton has a chance to be a legit interior OL. I think he may have been a major steal. I think Brandel has a chance to be a quality reserve. I'm tired of the FO telling us Odo has amazing potential without playing him. Cole is a legitimate contender for a starting spot or quality reserve spot?

Love my Vikings but still not sure I see them addressing all needs at this point.

1 hour ago, Mike Sixel said:

I believe Hunter gets $20MM the following year also, or is cut, or is signed to a longer term deal. So, ya, good!

I did see that, just not sure if that's a flat $18M bonus that hits in 2022? His original cap hit in 2022 is $17.75M, which adding the restructure ($3.73M) and the bonus puts it at a ridiculous $39M, almost as much as Kirk's ludicrous $45M cap hit. I imagine that bonus will be spread over multiple years if accepted.

20 minutes ago, DocBauer said:

We COULD have an amazing DL. But we are suddenly 6 deep at DT with no room for Watts, Lynch or Twyman? Are we only baking on 1yr vs the future? 

They've went with 5 DTs for the past couple years, so I wouldn't put it past them to go 5 again this year. Watts probably makes the team with Lynch & Twyman fighting for the final spot, with the other going to the PS.

Hunter being locked in and a return by Richardson brings automatic dividends.  Our pass rush was the worst I can remember in my lifetime as a Vikings fan last year.  Richardson, Tomlinson, Hunter, and a rotation of young guys sounds worlds better to me.

Combo that with Darrisaw-Cleveland-Bradbury-Davis-O'Neill on the OL and I haven't felt this good about the trenches since Favre was QBing this team.