Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Jake Odorizzi, What's going on w/ him?

Doctor Gast

https://m.startribune.com/jake-odorizzi-does-unlikely-to-return-to-twins/600021535/

According to Phil Miller, the Twins are done shopping for big ticket items. Unless something drastically changes, Odorizzi won’t be back.

Could be a negotiating tactic to see if they can get him for their price.  I think they feel like there are 3 decent back end starters available.  Lets see who meets us at our asking price first.  This is what they did with a few other players like Cruz, Happ is a great value too.  so I think the Twins would be willing to move at their price at this point and are ok with not doing anything too  Me, I would be happy if they just sign one more reliever like Clippard to a 1 year 3 million deal again.

Could be a negotiating tactic to see if they can get him for their price.  

True, but what's the right price for a pitcher whose body seems to be breaking down? Odorizzi is a big risk to pay him anywhere near what he is worth when healthy, I don't blame owners for looking at other options first.

I'm sure he will play somewhere and get a chance to prove 2020 was a fluke. Teams are probably talking to him, but maybe not teams in markets that are very interesting from a postseason perspective.

There was less pitching available this offseason so he should have had an easier time IMO. He also wasn't saddled with a QO.  If he would have actually pitched in 2020 he probably would be signed by now.  I believe the issue last year and this year is everyone knows he has a hard time the third time through the order.  It is tough to get five innings from him most nights.  Being injured in 2020 really has to have put the breaks on for teams because now you have a guy that is hard to get through five and might have injury issues to boot.  He just hasn't shown enough to make teams confident about what production he will give them for the money he wants.

It probably is a smart move to wait through spring training as an injury(s) could make teams desperate enough to make a move.  If not even though he doesn't like it he will need to pull a Lance Lynn and settle for a one year prove it deal.

I actually think the longer this drags out, the better chance he re-signs with the Twins. 

I've said all winter I have no interest in a 3 year deal for him, but it seems like no other team does either. It was a crap offseason, he may prefer to play out a 1 year deal and try to re-prove his value than get locked into a 2 year deal, and if it's a one year deal I wouldn't be surprised to see the Twins jump back in considering Odrizzi did seem to prefer sticking with the Twins.

I liked the Shoemaker signing, but it was only 2M. The Twins paid Hill 3M and Bailey 7M last year knowing one of them was going to be destined for the 6th rotation spot. I doubt Shoemaker's contract would have much impact on an Odorizzi reunion if the front office got the itch for one. 

I actually think the longer this drags out, the better chance he re-signs with the Twins. 

I've said all winter I have no interest in a 3 year deal for him, but it seems like no other team does either. It was a crap offseason, he may prefer to play out a 1 year deal and try to re-prove his value than get locked into a 2 year deal, and if it's a one year deal I wouldn't be surprised to see the Twins jump back in considering Odrizzi did seem to prefer sticking with the Twins.

I liked the Shoemaker signing, but it was only 2M. The Twins paid Hill 3M and Bailey 7M last year knowing one of them was going to be destined for the 6th rotation spot. I doubt Shoemaker's contract would have much impact on an Odorizzi reunion if the front office got the itch for one. 

If its a one year deal what do you think he would sign for 10M. 12M. 15M?  Will the Twins have the stomach to grab him on a one year deal at those numbers?  I have to believe he makes those number on a one year deal with several clubs as he is coming off of an 18M salary.  I just don't see the Twins moving the payroll number that far out unless Mr. Pohlad goes insane and forgets about making money after a season in which it sounds like most all the clubs lost money.

I think the only reason he isn't signed is his difficulty to get through 5 innings and third time through the order plus he isn't really a ground ball pitcher.  Being injured last year also could make teams worried about him making it through a whole season now that he is in to his 30's.  But if he is willing to go one year I would think he could do all right on a one year contract.  The risk is better for both sides then.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in seeing if Houston taps into unknown potential, keeps him the same, or if he drops off since his time in Minnesota. Should be a good bench mark to measure the Twins' development team with an organization that has the reputation of developing talent. 

If Odorizzi becomes a guy throwing 100+ pitches deep into the 7th/8th inning, then we still have some work to do. 

I'm interested in seeing if Houston taps into unknown potential, keeps him the same, or if he drops off since his time in Minnesota. Should be a good bench mark to measure the Twins' development team with an organization that has the reputation of developing talent.

If Odorizzi becomes a guy throwing 100+ pitches deep into the 7th/8th inning, then we still have some work to do.

Dunno if it will tell much, if anything. Odorizzi came from the Rays and the Twins got a career year out of him. There isn’t much more one can ask of an org.

I don't see that happening. Sure, maybe he throws more Ks and gives up less XBHs, but Odor has always been a 5, maybe 6 inning guy.

I don't see that happening. Sure, maybe he throws more Ks and gives up less XBHs, but Odor has always been a 5, maybe 6 inning guy.

That's what my hypothesis is, but we'll see if they tap into something else with him. 

That's what my hypothesis is, but we'll see if they tap into something else with him. 

Seems like the Astros and Twins are kind of on the same wavelength in terms of starters (and they both may have borrowed from the Rays). If you have a bulldog or two in the front of the rotation, they can throw 200 innings or whatever nature allows. Everyone else rolls through the lineup twice before they turn it over to the pen.