Twins Daily
  • Create Account

ALC gone from the postseason

USAFChief

It means something, but I think there is a risk of overinterpreting. The Twins are a much better team than Houston. Nothing will make me believe otherwise. Houston rose to the occasion in a 3 game series more than the Twins did. These things happen in baseball.

What about the risk of overinterpreting from a 2 month season? Especially between two teams playing completely different schedules and having different incentives to win (Houston didn't have much of a third place threat chasing them from behind).

Tampa won the Stanley Cup and they are making a legit run at the WS. Over the  years the Lightning have drawn some of the biggest crowds in the NHL during the regular season. The Rays may be the worst team in baseball attendance-wise.Go figure. Those Florida fans like hockey over baseball?

I have been hoping that the Rays move to Montreal. It would be good for baseball to have Montreal back in the big leagues. Only reason attendance tanked over the final 10 years was 1) the 1994 strike 2) telling the fans the team was moving every year thereafter 3) an owner whose only purpose for being there was to move the team 4) a GM who pocketed the excise tax money rather than spend it improving the team.

Montreal is a great baseball town...ever since the AAA Montreal Royals and Jackie Robinson. Tampa has never been a good baseball town...from the inception.

(of note: the Expos drew more fans to their horrible ballpark than the Rays in their horrible ballpark!)

The possibilities are endless! With the Twins winning the division and getting the top seed, they get to play with Royals-Tigers winner. Will they be vanquished by battle-tested Alex Gordon catching Luiz Arraez line drives down the left field line? Or, more probably, will Gardy come out of retirement to lead the Tigers over the Twins, making shrewd move after shrewd move during the series?

And will the losses count in their streak?

Even though the winner of this year's World Series played in Texas will be officially crowned as such, the 2020 MLB season is actually a series of practice games to garner enough TV revenue for MLB to justify the huge bonanza it receives from the networks and other media sources. 2020 is a great season to bow out early and get ready for 2021. The 2021 season is what will really be interesting as there is no certainty that it will be "normal" either. Actually, the word "normal" should be deleted from the English language.

It means something, but I think there is a risk of overinterpreting. The Twins are a much better team than Houston. Nothing will make me believe otherwise. Houston rose to the occasion in a 3 game series more than the Twins did. These things happen in baseball.

I am a Twins fan like you are, but I am seriously wondering how you can insist we have a much better team than Houston.  This is a team that won 107 games last year and won the WS.  Look at all the (winning) playoff experience on that team.

Kind of sounds like sour grapes.  I think the better team won and that (once again) a lot of Twins fans assumed we were better than we really are.

Tampa won the Stanley Cup and they are making a legit run at the WS. Over the  years the Lightning have drawn some of the biggest crowds in the NHL during the regular season. The Rays may be the worst team in baseball attendance-wise.Go figure. Those Florida fans like hockey over baseball?

I have been hoping that the Rays move to Montreal. It would be good for baseball to have Montreal back in the big leagues. Only reason attendance tanked over the final 10 years was 1) the 1994 strike 2) telling the fans the team was moving every year thereafter 3) an owner whose only purpose for being there was to move the team 4) a GM who pocketed the excise tax money rather than spend it improving the team.

Montreal is a great baseball town...ever since the AAA Montreal Royals and Jackie Robinson. Tampa has never been a good baseball town...from the inception.

(of note: the Expos drew more fans to their horrible ballpark than the Rays in their horrible ballpark!)

I have MANY Canadian inlaws and totally disagree with this post. Montreal IS NOT a baseball town period. In their 35 year history beginning in 1969 and ending in 2004 they only drew over 2 million fans 4 times, all in the early 80's. Most seasons they finished around 1.5 million fans and that is TERRIBLE. If the Rays must be moved, move them to Nashville or Charlotte. Almost every Canadian i know couldn't give two hoots about baseball. In fact most of them loath it. The Blue Jays are the one exception being in the mega metropolis of Toronto and even they are middle of league (low to mid 2 millions) in attendance in most years.

...and the Cardinals lost tonight, so all 7 central division teams that made the postseason were eliminated in the first round.

Only two (CHW & STL) even managed to win a game. Combined record 2-14, and 0-6 at home.

As we know, the Twins scored only 2 runs in their 2 games. The Cubs scored just 1 run across their 2 games; the Reds, zero. (Kind of puts our late season series against those two clubs in context...)