Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Brian Dozier released

Nine of twelve

Always thought Brian was going to become a very good MLB player while moving through the minors. Loved him when he became one of the best on his Twins teams. Thought trading him made sense and liked the return we got. Sorry to see this news and wish him well. If he doesn't catch on with anyone this year, expect he will give it one more try in 2021.

Pick him up.  He can take Tovar's place.

I think it would be a great depth move in a year like this. We could put him on the 60 and if anything happens to Arraez he would be our first option at 2b (where believe it or not we are thin). He can show off his Championship ring and demonstrate how winning teams go about their business.

Pick him up.  He can take Tovar's place.

We have an opening on the 60 man roster, so no need to cut anyone. Also, I believe the only reason why Tovar is on the roster is because he can play SS, which is something Dozier can't do. But I would much, much rather have Dozier's bat over Tovar's and others like Reinheimer.

I'm 99.99% sure that Dozier's professional playing career is over. There is no indication that he will ever again be the hitter he was five years ago and he is at best an average fielder who can play only one position. In the current situation with the bare-bones draft it's all the more important to give priority to prospects. Teams can't use a roster spot and any other resources on--sorry to say it--a washed-up player.

He may be best served to take this goofy year off and see if his body can recover from the grind he's put it through and take one more shot in 2021. Maybe a full year off with proper therapy can get his knee right and keep any other nagging injuries from laying him out and he can find a renaissance. I'm rooting for him, he's always seemed like a good dude.

That said, it's not like he was bad for the Nationals last year (even if he didn't get much run in the playoffs) so it's not like he couldn't help a team even now. But he didn't make the majors until he was 25, which shortens the shelf life in MLB.

I would not bring him back if I'm the Twins, though. Arraez deserves the starting job and Nick Gordon is probably ready if he goes down, and Polanco can certainly play there. Adding a 33 year old 2B in decline is not a great fit, even if he was one of ours. He had a great 4 year run with us, and we moved on at the right time.

He just never seemed to find his footing elsewhere. Not sure if that was because of a lack of opportunity or if we just saw the best of him.

He's a good guy and hope he finds his way post-baseball.

I think it is he is 33 and most likely his best years behind him.  27 is peak seasons for most players, he is 6 years past that.  Very few teams are willing to play veterans these days that play at replacement level output.  Teams are changing how they build teams and vets are getting squeezed out, even if they can put up MLB quality numbers.  If they can get same output or close to it for cheaper the teams are doing that. 

I think it is he is 33 and most likely his best years behind him.  27 is peak seasons for most players, he is 6 years past that.  Very few teams are willing to play veterans these days that play at replacement level output.  Teams are changing how they build teams and vets are getting squeezed out, even if they can put up MLB quality numbers.  If they can get same output or close to it for cheaper the teams are doing that. 

Plus, he's not as versatile on the field as some would want from a backup/bench player. Dozier can really only play 2nd or DH/pinch hitter ... it's not enough anymore. As you said, teams are being built differently these days.

I'd rather see Nick Gordon as the heir apparent if something happens to Arraez. Dozier had a good run, holds the record for most HRs by an AL second baseman, and got a ring. He can retire a happy man.

I don't care who or what the back up plan is at 2b, but I want the Front Office to have the best one possible, this season doesn't have time for the young guys to come in and figure out, or a streaky hitter to get hot. (it does help the Twins that their lineup is stacked, but still)

I don't care who or what the back up plan is at 2b, but I want the Front Office to have the best one possible, this season doesn't have time for the young guys to come in and figure out, or a streaky hitter to get hot. (it does help the Twins that their lineup is stacked, but still)

Agreed. Too short of a season to "try" someone out. This won't be the best year for breakout rookies. If Arraez goes down, Gonzalez will be the first man up at 2B. 

That said, it's not like he was bad for the Nationals last year (even if he didn't get much run in the playoffs) so it's not like he couldn't help a team even now.

By Fangraphs, Dozier was about a league average player in 2019, but by B-Ref, he was 1 win below average. And he was also about 1 win below average at both sites for 2018 too.

At age 33 now, right-handed, and having not playing a position other than 2B in 8 years, I'm not sure how helpful that is to any team. There will be worse performers in MLB this season, but contenders like the Twins want to aim for better production than that; and rebuilding clubs want to give the playing time to someone younger, or someone more flexible -- someone with a future or at least with more potential to be flipped to a contender in trade.

Dozier, in his time with the Twins, was the definition of a streaky hitter.

By Fangraphs, Dozier was about a league average player in 2019, but by B-Ref, he was 1 win below average. And he was also about 1 win below average at both sites for 2018 too.

At age 33 now, right-handed, and having not playing a position other than 2B in 8 years, I'm not sure how helpful that is to any team. There will be worse performers in MLB this season, but contenders like the Twins want to aim for better production than that; and rebuilding clubs want to give the playing time to someone younger, or someone more flexible -- someone with a future or at least with more potential to be flipped to a contender in trade.

Well, he was about a 1 bWAR player in 2018 & 2019. That's ok as a bench bat. But with limited positional flexibility (although he could probably play 3B or 1B in a pinch) there's just not a lot of market for that guy at 33 with some injury history if teams aren't convinced he's going to have that bounceback year.

I wish him luck, but I don't see a role on the Twins for him, and it may be hard for him to find a team ready to roll the dice. But who knows with expanded rosters and a short season? All it takes is one injury for someone to go, "why not?"