• Create Account

ESPN Insider - Lineup Rankings

amjgt

They have the Twins with the 12th best lineup

TWELFTH!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  

(paywall)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/28595190/way-too-early-2020-mlb-starting-lineup-rankings

I mean, they have the Yankees 9th as well. Not sure what metric is being used here, but its not a good one.

Im guessing the only thing we really didnt excel at was OBP....but even then we had to have been above average. That or they account half our line up to get injured at once and drop off the face of the earth. Who was #1? 

Twins were 6th in OBP. 4th in fWAR but that takes into account defense.1st in ISO, 2rd in SLG, wRC+, wRC, wRAA and wOBA.

But I'm guessing signing Josh Donaldson and losing Jonathan Schoop is going to make those numbers take a dive.

Im guessing the only thing we really didnt excel at was OBP....but even then we had to have been above average. That or they account half our line up to get injured at once and drop off the face of the earth. Who was #1? 

Astros

They ranked each team on 5 categories. Here are the categories and how they ranked the Twins on each:

Contact: 19 | Patience: 8 | Power: 10 | Speed: 23 | Balance: 10

Power 10th?!?!?! OMG. You can't make this up.

Sounds like a dead season article to get clicks..like most of BSPNs articles. 

They ranked each team on 5 categories. Here are the categories and how they ranked the Twins on each:

Contact was 19? They had the 4th lowest strikeout % last year.

Speed seems generous though. Is 23 their ranking or total number of SB last year?

That's what happens when scout types make up their minds based on what they see without looking at subjective measures.

2019 Twins' ranking in hitting categories:

2nd in wOBA,

3rd in wRC+,

2nd in BA,

tie 5th in OBP,

2nd in SLG%,

tie 4th in K%,

20th in BB%,

1st in IsoP,

3rd in % Hard hit balls,

21st in out of zone swinging %,

10th in Contact %.

30th in fangraphs spd.

Plus the addition of Donaldson, and a full season of Arraez and hopefully Buxton should help a bit.

Not sure what that "balance" thing is.   As far as speed goes, the ranking is fair, if not generous. Patience are overrated at 9th, since they were 20th in BB% and 21st in OOZSW%.  Contact they should be 10th, power should have been 1st or 2nd.

I guess that they ignore defense in the lineup for some reason.

The other thing is that not all of those things should weigh equally.  The bottom line is that the better the lineup, the more runs it will score, and the Twins were second in runs scored and third in wRC+ in the majors, so their lineup should be ranked about second or third in the majors...

I have always laughed at East Coast bias and the Yankees ranking 9 is an argument that it does not exist, however, the Mets!!! You have to be kidding.  Yes I would take Alonso (but maybe there will be some regression) and the rest - are you kidding, Cano has been on a regression slide.  The Angels?  Two good hitters versus nine?

Oh well, at the end of the year we can send them an update.

I have always laughed at East Coast bias and the Yankees ranking 9 is an argument that it does not exist, however, the Mets!!! You have to be kidding.  Yes I would take Alonso (but maybe there will be some regression) and the rest - are you kidding, Cano has been on a regression slide.  The Angels?  Two good hitters versus nine?

Oh well, at the end of the year we can send them an update.

I think you can give the Angels credit for 3 good hitters. Trout, Rendon, Ohtani