Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Donaldson contract discussion - 4/100? 4/110?

Brandon

I would not do that for 27.5M a season. I would pay 2/60 though if we had to sign him. Not interested in 4 years at all.

The Twins are not lacking power sources at all. So technically all they are paying for is the defense in a sense.  Pitching is what wins in the playoffs not power.

Hoping for Atlanta to get this deal done with soon so this can be over.

Well, then you aren't getting him. Flat out. I'm not saying 4/110 is worth it, but that's what he wants. 

I think the Nats are out on Donaldson. In the last day or so they have signed Starlin Castro and Asdrubal Cabrera in the infield, and Will Harris in the bullpen. They are to the point where signing Donaldson would put them over the luxury tax. More importantly, they have the following infielders: Howie Kendrick, Starlin Castro, Trea Turner, Asdrubal Cabrera, and top prospect Carter Kieboom. Plus I can’t believe that they don’t bring back Ryan Zimmerman if he wants to play another year.

The Nats have moved on from Donaldson. They are spending their remaining FA budget and roster space on other players.

So hopefully that means it is down to Atlanta and Minnesota. And Atlanta is already sitting at $142mm in payroll (last year $135mm). Are they going more than $30mm over last year’s budget?

Edit to add: Atlanta has never had a season-opening payroll of over $122mm before.

And what if no one offers him that?

I would assume if there are already 4 year offers out there, the worst he would come away with would be 4/80. You aren't getting him for 2 years at his age I don't think. He's older, why would he give up additional years to become a free agent again? In 2 years, he might not be worth a ton. 

Hopefully an upfront signing bonus to actually reduce the payroll amount, at least in the final two seasons. If he plays well, he can also be trade bait if you don't content (depending on clause). Be interesting to see if anyone bites, or if it is just calling the bluff time.

He's expressed interest in returning to Atlanta and it's been reported he would give them an opportunity to match offers.  If they had the top offer on the table, you would have to assume he would already accepted it.

I think he is pushing the bidding as high as it will go, then re-sign with Atlanta. It's an opportunity to leverage the salary situation and sign with the team he wants to play for. These days, all things being equal seems less equal for the Twins. I don't know if it's the water or weather or the angle of the sun but building winning sports teams in Minnesota that can win-it-all seems like an impossible venture. '87 and '91 were awesome as a Twins fan, but they were kind of crap shoots. Played well, made the post season and went on a run to win, then back to mediocrity. I don't mind letting the kids play, see what happens, then shore things up later if things go well.

At this point, $110 for 4 years is only 2.5 million more per year.  It won't destroy the "budget."  Do it.  Offer him the $110 for 4-years and put a 24-48 hour deadline on it.  Worst case scenario:  You make the Braves up their offer and pay more. (I agree, the Nats are out).    Best case:  You have Josh Donaldson playing 3B and hitting cleanup for the Twins for the next 4-years.  And this wouldn't preclude (or at least it shouldn't preclude) the Twins from exploring a starting pitching trade for Thor or Blake Snell (but it probably does preclude a deal for Chris Sale where we take on all 5-years and $145 million.  

At this point, $110 for 4 years is only 2.5 million more per year.  It won't destroy the "budget."  Do it.  Offer him the $110 for 4-years and put a 24-48 hour deadline on it.  Worst case scenario:  You make the Braves up their offer and pay more. (I agree, the Nats are out).    Best case:  You have Josh Donaldson playing 3B and hitting cleanup for the Twins for the next 4-years.  And this wouldn't preclude (or at least it shouldn't preclude) the Twins from exploring a starting pitching trade for Thor or Blake Snell (but it probably does preclude a deal for Chris Sale where we take on all 5-years and $145 million.  

Why not do 120 million then? It is only 2.5 million more per year compared to 110 million.

110 million is only 2.5 million more if the base is 100. I don't think that was the Twins base.

I would love for them to do this.  4-110 is fine.  Make it structured as a 40/25/25/20, that way we have a bit of wiggle room for signing/extending players in coming years. He can play 3B for a few years then slide to DH for the final two with some time here and there at 3B for days off. 

I agree with some earlier posts....

This potential Donaldson deal should be evaluated against the other options available to fill the hole in the lineup vacated by Cron. Not hypothetical pitcher scenarios. The Twins need either a major-league first baseman (or a major league third baseman if they decide to move Sano over). So....Donaldson for 4 and 108 (etc.)....or Moreland? Thames? One of the current utility guys?? Rooker???

Unless, of course, you really believe that the Twins going small for the corner infielder (e.g., utility guy, Moreland) means that they WILL go big on a pitcher's contract in a trade. And I feel sorry for you if you believe that.

Strib is reporting that the Twins think Donaldson has no interest in playing for them and they are now moving on. Just a wonderful off-season.

http://m.startribune.com/twins-likely-out-of-the-bidding-for-josh-donaldson/566722402/

Was just going to post this too. 

Same old story. Falvine continue to be absolute disasters at player acquisitions   

Strib is reporting that the Twins think Donaldson has no interest in playing for them and they are now moving on. Just a wonderful off-season.

http://m.startribune.com/twins-likely-out-of-the-bidding-for-josh-donaldson/566722402/

Perfectly timed leak. The Nationals have sent that message with their acquisitions. The Twins are reportedly moving on. It might be in Donaldson’s interest to take the best current offer before he only has the Braves left and loses his leverage.

Is this enough to call for a new front office? At what point does there need to be change? It might be a part of their job they do not do well.

Not for me. But, IMO, this off season has been a failure so far. They may be doing great in coaching, we don't know yet, but they've missed out on impact. And now they are sorry they said it....