Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2020 Celebrity Death Pool

Musk21

Interesting fact about Mr. Withers. He had a bad stuttering problem growing up all the way into his 20’s. Singing helped him overcome that challenge.

Singing and music overcome quite a lot. It affects the brain in specific ways. A lot of memory care patients, for instance, respond better with music. They may not remember things, but music they do.

I cried when I heard the news.

Chicago has been doing nightly sing-alongs and diy light-shows, (it started in my neighborhood, but is catching on to other parts of downtown) to honor those working and providing necessary services; 8pm, 2 songs, people blast their stereos and do whatever with lights. Tonight is ‘Angel From Montgomery’ as a tribute to John Prine.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chicagouniteatnight/?multi_permalinks=3952385374773352&notif_id=1586195501881479&notif_t=group_highlights

I cried when I heard the news.

Same here. I'm not normally the kind of guy that gets emotional about a celebrity,  famous athlete or musician passing away but this one just feels different. The Folk Festival here this summer probably wasn't going to happen anyway but he was on the schedule to perform. I hadn't had the opportunity to see him live in some time and now that's gone for good.

I know music taste is subjective and most people probably have a favourite that they feel everyone should like the same way they do,  but how could anyone not enjoy John Prine? The man could write clever, witty and dark, sometimes all in the same line.

Community Moderator

Same here. I'm not normally the kind of guy that gets emotional about a celebrity, famous athlete or musician passing away but this one just feels different. The Folk Festival here this summer probably wasn't going to happen anyway but he was on the schedule to perform. I hadn't had the opportunity to see him live in some time and now that's gone for good.

I know music taste is subjective and most people probably have a favourite that they feel everyone should like the same way they do, but how could anyone not enjoy John Prine? The man could write clever, witty and dark, sometimes all in the same line.

Ditto to all. I first saw John in the late 70s at Bemidji state university. Mrs Chief then got us tickets to see him at a small old restored theater here in Tucson about a year and a half ago. That concert was the most memorable musical event of my life time.

So sorry to know I wont get the chance again. Incredible talent.

Crushed by the news about John Prine. I was really looking forward to seeing him again at the WFF, but that's not the source of my sorrow, it;s just that he's gone. Hearing him do Angel from Montgomery with Bonnie Raitt will make me cry forever now.

I'm a little late to comment but I never go into this forum so being late is understandable.

Greatest lyricist ever according to me in no particular order. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Neil Peart, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Gord Downie and John Prine.

Paul Simon for example among many others are in the next tier looking up at these 8.

• 2 weeks later...
Community Leader

​​Actor Sam Lloyd has died at the age of 56

Current Standings

1. Musk21 - 130 points (S.Lloyd, K.Rogers, J.Andretti, T.Jones)

2. luke829 - 67 points (S.Lloyd, T.Jones)

4t. AlwaysInModeration - 44 points (J.Andretti)

4t. lecroy24fan - 44 points (J.Andretti)

Community Leader

luke829 had Roy Horn (25) and GCTF had Little Richard (13).

Current Standings

1. Musk21 - 130 points (S.Lloyd, K.Rogers, J.Andretti, T.Jones)

2. luke829 - 92 points (R.Horn, S.Lloyd, T.Jones)

3t. AlwaysInModeration - 44 points (J.Andretti)

3t. lecroy24fan - 44 points (J.Andretti)

5. GCTF - 13 points (L.Richard)