Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Heyman: Twins Pursuing Hyun-Jin Ryu

Nick Nelson

I admit to being concerned about his injury history and a dependability factor. But I will say that I was very impressed how players and pitchers were both handled last season in regard to rest and off days. It never fully prevented injuries, and unfortunately we got hit with several all at once late, but pitchers in particular I was impressed with. Maybe they could nurse Ryu through at least 28 starts with a skip here and there.

My bad. I literally thought it was the opposite. So teams can mess with incentives, but players can't be rewarded for good play? Odd rules.

I think the union polices any playing time incentive shenanigans pretty strictly.

So if Ryu was a pitching fine, but was an unusual healthy scratch just before a notable incentive mark, you'd probably see a grievance filed (and probably won, by the player/union).

Following Ryu out here in LA - last year was the only year you could really follow him. If you want to sign a pitcher that doesn't pitch much, Ryu is the guy. Or Rich Hill. They both are good when pitching (usually), but I certainly would not bet on 33 year old Ryu to supply back to back seasons of 180 innings, which is the most he has ever done since his rookie year in 2013 (192). He has been really really good the last two years when he stayed in the game, though (82.1 and 182.2 innings - with a severe 4 start fade in August 2019).

I can't recall many games started incentives. Usually innings or games finished.

It's probably less common, but it's not uncommon to have games started incentives.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:mlbtraderumors.com+%22games+started%22+%22incentives%22+%222018%22

Matt Harvey and Adam Wainwright apparently signed such deals last winter.

I think the short-lived Anibal Sanchez contract with the Twins had games started incentives too...

I think 7/245 is your benchmark...

holy crap.

Ha, I hit the AAV right when I said we should go 6/210. I missed on the length though.

My 8/280 for Cole looks like it will be on the light side.

I have less and less confidence that we will get any of these remaining front end guys. 1 Cole and 2 second tiers to be divided by no less than 12-13 teams. Ryu will likely end up back with one of the LA's. 

I think the union polices any playing time incentive shenanigans pretty strictly.

So if Ryu was a pitching fine, but was an unusual healthy scratch just before a notable incentive mark, you'd probably see a grievance filed (and probably won, by the player/union).

Remember Phil Hughes fell 1/3 of an inning short of a large incentive due to a rain delay. The Twins offered to put him in as a reliever to get the 1/3 inning during the last series of the year. He declined and the Twins thought he was such a good guy they gave him a massive unnecessary extension. Best call he ever made.

What about 4/80 for Ryu instead of 3/75?  I was hoping the Twins could fit Donaldson into the Twins Budget.  But if they go to 25 million per season to sign a pitcher then you are looking at 4-6 million for one of the available 1B Morelan, Cron, Thames.... maybe a Tanner Roark or Alex Wood especially if they sign Ryu.  and more suspect reliever options to try out in spring training.  

Ryu is one of the top pitchers in the game. His age and injury history are the only reason the Twins have a chance to sigh him. Ervin Santana worked out well. I'd go for it.

MadBum is league average at this point and has his own injury concerns.  Not a close call between the two for me.

Ryu is one of the top pitchers in the game. His age and injury history are the only reason the Twins have a chance to sigh him. Ervin Santana worked out well. I'd go for it.

MadBum is league average at this point and has his own injury concerns.  Not a close call between the two for me.

What are MadBum's injury concerns? He fell off a dirt bike, and what else?

Well with that salary it'd have to be a salary dump, right?

I'm thinking we start with Duensing and see what happens.

As long as you have the correct thinking cap on, 70charger, see if you can figure out a way to make a 3-way deal adding the Yankees, so we can get Cole, too.