Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Baby Blues Are Back!

Seth Stohs
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's with the Nike swoosh? How much did Nike pay to the Twins in order to have its logo on the jerseys of the 2020 World Champs?

I like the way you think. Go Tarheels, too. Not world, but NCAA will do.

What needs to be phased out is the atrocious "Kasota Gold," nonsense. 

In my very biased opinion the Twins have one of the best logos in baseball. The navy TC hat is classic and clean; I love it. Bring back the M alternate. I love the red throwback caps too. Go back to pinstripes instead of the bland solid whites. The revival of the baby blue jersey is a step in the right direction.

The "M" logo is horrible because the "TC" is so iconic and just... perfect from a design standpoint. It's just lovely.

The gold trim around the "TC"? That is a ****ing design abomination and should be eliminated from the world. It pollutes a perfect design.

Stroking text is a bad idea 99.9% of the time.

The "M" logo is horrible because the "TC" is so iconic and just... perfect from a design standpoint. It's just lovely.

The gold trim around the "TC"? That is a ****ing design abomination and should be eliminated from the world. It pollutes a perfect design.

And yet I’ll take that over the baby blue unis.

• 1 month later...

My last jersey was from 2001 and after being thrown, spilled on, and literally stomped on for nearly 20 years, I noticed it finally went missing this past postseason (I only wear jerseys during postseason games).

I consider it a mercy killing. No idea what happened to it, I probably murdered it in a drunken rage after the 2017 WC game.

So, jerseys... which one of you wants to suffer my wrath next?

Baby blue, I think I choose you.

Ick

I thought I would hate these because I really didn't like the originals. It turns out what I really didn't like was the pullover and the wide, red, white, and blue, elastic "belts."

These look really good - I could see myself buying one after the prices come down (hopefully with a #29 on the back - something with a bit longer shelf life than my Liriano jersey had. (Francisco, not Nelson) 

Maybe it's the WS wins or the players and find remembrance, but my favorites were the pin stripes. Just thought they were classy.

It is the wins that happened to coincide with those uniforms.  I think those uniforms from that era are among the most horrendous there are.  I don't like pinstripes because they look cheesy.  I don't like stupid mustaches either.

This coming from a guy born in 1966 who basically lived his best most memorable years in the 80s. I am going strictly on aesthetics as I believe that uniform had nothing to do with the performance.  I also hate the "m" hats.

Call me crazy, I know

Ick

To me uniforms are no big deal but this uniform represents the "twinkies", this expression for many devote Twins fans is a great slam. This uniform came at the end of Carew`s career as a Twin & died after They won their 1st series. To me I`d rather see it stay dead. That said I`m not ashamed of the players who tried their best during this time

Mike_Adams-1973.jpg

To me uniforms are no big deal but this uniform represents the "twinkies", this expression for many devote Twins fans is a great slam. This uniform came at the end of Carew`s career as a Twin & died after They won their 1st series. To me I`d rather see it stay dead. That said I`m not ashamed of the players who tried their best during this time

To me, the uniform IS important because it is an outward symbol of the team and instant recognition. Change up options are OK. But in all sports, there is something iconic about teams who don't feel some need to change their identity. Baseball specific, the Dodgers, Cubs and hated Yankees, for example, are just who they are. As much as we hate the Yanks, can anyone deny their uniforms are just classy? (For the record, wish the Vikings uniforms would just go back to their iconic look, road and home).

I grew up with the baby blue Twins road and white uniforms. Other than the ridiculous and dated elastic waistband, they were OK. I never HATED the "M" logo the way Brock does, but fully agree the "TC" logo is just special and iconic and should never go away again!

Were it up to me, every player would wear short pants and the TC logo on socks would be proudly displayed. Maybe that makes me old fashioned. Maybe it just makes me a sucker for something definitive and iconic for my team.

I still lean to the pinstripe day uniforms. But if no stripes, then just pick a home and road uni that you want for years to come. Mix in a few alternates for fun. But keep the TC and a general design that just announces to everyone; "we are the Twins!"

My dream uniform lineup

Home

post-11402-0-59286700-1580010825_thumb.jpeg

Road

post-11402-0-85519900-1580010885.jpeg

Alternate

post-11402-0-45920800-1580010928_thumb.jpeg

Alternate

post-11402-0-89622600-1580011006.jpeg

Alternate

post-11402-0-84040500-1580011044.jpeg

Alternate

post-11402-0-71773300-1580011092.jpeg

I dislike the new road uniforms, they just seem extremely dull, and I’m not the biggest fan of the font, so the old block MINNESOTA uniforms would replace those. I like the pinstripes (but with the more modern Twins logo), The current red TC uniform would get to stay, while the newer retros would complete the 6 uniforms set.

I am just wondering if there is a limit imposed by MLB on the number of official uniforms a team can utilize. The baby blues are fine. If there isn't a limit please bring back the old school traditional Twins pinstripes....If there is a limit ditch either those red pajama tops, or the Falvine style gaudy blue gold red messes....we need the pinstripes in our wardrobe.

Were it up to me, every player would wear short pants and the TC logo on socks would be proudly displayed. Maybe that makes me old fashioned. Maybe it just makes me a sucker for something definitive and iconic for my team.

I'm old, and I agree.  When did it happen that players were allowed to play without their stirrup socks showing?  I'm sure glad that some of our players have adopted the "retro" look.  

cmon Twins - establish a tradition and stick with it like the Tigsrs. I. like the Twins in White with Pinstripes and Dark Blue. Add some gray on the road. All uniforms should incorporate three colors: red, white and blue to honor the franchises DC roots. That’s it. No red shorts. No powder blue (KC Royals should have that color reserved for its jerseys in our division).

I'm so happy!

Here is the press release:

TWINS RETURN TO HISTORY,

UNVEIL BABY BLUE ALTERNATE UNIFORM FOR 2020

Club Launches its 60th Season in Minnesota with a Popular Uniform Revival

MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, MN – Launching their diamond anniversary festivities by reviving one of the club’s most celebrated on-field looks, the Minnesota Twins today unveiled a baby blue alternate uniform for the 2020 campaign, along with a special logo commemorating the 60th season of Major League Baseball in the Twin Cities. Designed to replicate the Twins road uniform worn from the 1973 through 1986 seasons, the 2020 alternate will feature baby blue tops and pants, paired with the team’s standard navy blue cap (without the Kasota Gold outline on the interlocking “TC”). The 2020 alternate uniform can be worn by the Twins either at home or on the road.

“No uniform in the history of Minnesota Twins baseball drives more fan engagement than the old-school baby blues,” Twins President and CEO Dave St. Peter said. “With that popularity in mind, we are excited to bring this uniform back as part of our 60th Season Celebration. It’s going to be fun to watch the 2020 Twins wearing the same look as Twins legends from the 1970s and 1980s.”

Our Legacy is Our Future

Recalling the era of Rod Carew batting titles and Bert Blyleven curveballs, through to the early days of Kent Hrbek, Gary Gaetti and Kirby Puckett, but designed for the Twins’ 21st century stars, the 2020 alternate uniform brings back Minnesota’s full baby blue, road color scheme used during most of the 1970s and 1980s.

The baby blue uniform top includes the distinctive, cursive “Twins” script featured on the club’s home and road uniforms from the inaugural 1961 season through 1986, and again on home alternates from 2009-19. The “Twins” lettering is colored solid scarlet red and outlined in navy blue, as is the uniform number on the lower-left front chest, and the player number on the back (the player name is colored scarlet red, without an outline). The neckline and sleeves present tri-colored piping of navy blue, white and scarlet red.

Staying consistent with the vintage style, the 2020 alternate uniform pants are also baby blue, with the same navy blue, white and scarlet red piping down both legs. The lone change from the 1973-86 style is the use of a belt, in place of the waistline piping of seasons past.  

The Original Minnie and Paul

After a one-year hiatus, the original “Minnie and Paul” left sleeve patch returns. A fixture on the Twins’ home uniform from 1961-86 (and on every road uniform in that stretch except for 1972), the iconic patch made a return with Minnesota’s home alternates from 2009-18. The patch, outlined in gold, depicts the cartoon Minnie and Paul baseball players shaking hands across the Mississippi River, which flows from a baseball; the scene is set against a navy backdrop and includes the words “Minnesota Twins” in red.

60th Season Mark

2020 will mark the 60th season of Minnesota Twins baseball, beginning with the inaugural 1961 campaign that ushered in a historic return of professional sports to the state. The team’s official 60th Season logo pays homage to the club’s Twin Cities roots, with iconic Minneapolis and St. Paul buildings joined together in a blended, silhouetted skyline set against the Stone Arch Bridge and the Mississippi River. The famed Minneapolis skyline is depicted alongside St. Paul-based landmarks, including the Minnesota State Capitol building.

The circular logo has “Minnesota Twins” arching around the outer ring, “60” atop the skyline art and “Seasons” within a ribbon banner, all colored in white. The outer ring and skyline are navy blue, the ribbon banner is colored scarlet red, and the sky and river are a light blue, while the Stone Arch Bridge is Kasota Gold (which also outlines the entire logo).

The 60th Season logo will be featured on the right sleeve of all 2020 Minnesota Twins uniform variations, as well as on the right of each of the club’s corresponding hat styles.

Minnesota Twins 2020 Uniforms

The Twins’ baby blue alternate uniforms can be worn at Target Field or on the road. Additionally in 2020, the Twins will wear the home whites that have been in place since 2015, the red home alternate that debuted in 2016, the road grays (same since 2010), navy road alternate (first seen in 2011) and the navy home alternate (debuted in 2019). The team’s corresponding hats – all with the interlocking “TC” – remain the same for each uniform, with the standard navy cap worn for the powder blue and navy road alternate, the navy cap with a Kasota Gold outline on the TC for the home white and home navy, the navy top with a red bill for the road gray, and the red top with a navy bill (and Kasota Gold outline on the TC) for the red home alternate.

Get Yours Today

Fans can make the Twins’ legacy their future, as the authentic Nike baby blue alternate uniform top – along with all new baby blue player tees and New Era 59Fifty hats featuring the 60th anniversary side patch – are on sale beginning today at the Majestic Twins Clubhouse Store at Target Field and online via MLBshop.com.

60th Season Celebration

The Minnesota Twins will celebrate their 60th season in 2020; further details will be announced in the coming months.

Disgusting. I prefer a team that looks like it's playing baseball, and not going to a slumber party. And Pucket, Hrbek and Gaetti looked better in the pinstripes. 

I'm mostly disappointed to see the Nike logo. I didn't realize that MLB had a new uniform contract. I liked Majestic. Nike has been designing terrible uniforms for a few decades now in basketball and football (not quite as bad as the recent adidas NBA uniforms, but almost) and I'm anxious what they might do to baseball unis. I guess what I've seen in college is mostly okay. Still, Majestic was a cool baseball only brand. I can't imagine how the company will survive without MLB.

I like the baby blues. I would like them more if they were pull-over with the v-neck, as they were in the 70s and 80s. I can see why people don't like the elastic waist band, but I think it's cool. I also think it's more practical. I've never played in pants like that, but I hate sliding head-first/diving on a belt buckle. I would complain about the hat not being red, but they are obviously not going for a true throwback anyway.

I miss both the home and away uniforms of the World Series era, but I don't mind their current replacements- the white homes and the grey aways. I like the current navy alternates with the old school script. The gold is still a bit disorienting, but I don't hate it. There are way too many teams with Blue-Red-White color schemes, and I don't mind that the Twins are trying to differentiate a bit. 

The red top alternates are easily one of the worst uniforms in the history of sports. Many teams in MLB use a red top alternate and they are all terrible. The Twins' is the worst of them.

I agree with the sentiments of those who favor the time honored simplicity of the Yankees and Tigers approach to uniforms: One home, one away- the same forever (though, the Tigers have messed with their aways a lot over the years). This approach cannot apply to the Twins however, as they are not a very old team, and have never established consistency. I like the Twins uniforms and their uniform history, but in the grand scope of the history of MLB, the Twins do not even approach 'classic'. Even if they were to attempt to establish precedent now for 50-100 years in the future, I don't know what they should do. The original uniforms are nice, but they are pretty generic. The script looks good but is indistinct, many teams have pinstripes, and the color scheme is the most common in MLB. The TC logo looks great, and the T is pretty unique but the C is the same C the Reds and Bears use. I guess I favor the uniforms worn for the championships, the same that were worn by the team that saved the franchise from contraction. 

So in lieu of a true classic look, I'm fine with the Twins mixing it up every once in a while. I definitely prefer throwbacks or variations on throwbacks to attempts at outright new uniforms.

...Were it up to me, every player would wear short pants and the TC logo on socks would be proudly displayed. Maybe that makes me old fashioned. Maybe it just makes me a sucker for something definitive and iconic for my team....

Do you mean like this? 'Cause I'm not seeing it. 

post-3191-0-69193200-1580489608_thumb.png

My dream uniform lineup

Home
attachicon.gifD255B52E-F125-44A5-AF9B-7D9BA7F6B4E9.jpeg
Road
attachicon.gifAA825503-A359-472E-A344-56863292A91E.jpeg
Alternate
attachicon.gifD52209DD-15F4-493C-89F5-FE330D9E96EC.jpeg
Alternate
attachicon.gifAA8D03E5-F253-42A9-8508-67A50A386D8A.jpeg
Alternate
attachicon.gifE886D9F7-ACB7-420B-8E1F-D3D2E66109DF.jpeg
Alternate
attachicon.gif0B2A4BE5-F7F9-4AE4-A8BE-E35D1B73CBAC.jpeg

I dislike the new road uniforms, they just seem extremely dull, and I’m not the biggest fan of the font, so the old block MINNESOTA uniforms would replace those. I like the pinstripes (but with the more modern Twins logo), The current red TC uniform would get to stay, while the newer retros would complete the 6 uniforms set.

Through in those new navy blue alternates they have and its a solid lineup of jerseys. I could get rid of the new(ish) home whites, and just rotate the reds, navy blues, and cream jerseys for the home ones.

Archived