Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2020 Opening Day Roster

KL1551

Alright everyone - 

This series has me super depressed. Seeing that we more than likely aren't going to come back and win the series, I've already moved on to 2020.  I am anxious to see what the roster might look like next year.  Here is what I am hoping the opening day roster looks like next year. I'm trying to be somewhat realistic based on the types of acquisitions the Twins make; however, I realize my roster would be pretty expensive and may not be the most accurate.

C) Garver, Austin Romine (free agent signing that shouldn't cost too much)

1B) Jose Abreu on a 3 year deal? (non-tender Cron) 

2B) Arraez

3B) Sano, Gonzalez 

SS) Polanco, Adrianza

LF) Rosario (although, I wouldn't be opposed to them trading him this offseason while he still has some value)

CF) Buxton, Cave

RF) Kepler

SP) Berrios, Dobnak, and 3 free agents signings (hoping we can get Pineda back, and would love to get someone like a Hyun-Jin Ryu and Zach Wheeler)

RP) Rogers, Duffey, Littell, May, Graterol, Thorpe, Smelzer, Will Harris (free agent signing from the Astros)

I see them non-tendering Sam Dyson and CJ Cron and re-signing Pineda.

What do you guys think? What does your "way too early" 2020 opening day roster look like?

I don't think the Twins spend anything on free agents for the line-up, they just bring back everyone but Schoop and Castro. For pitching they really need to spend major money on a top of the rotation free agent starter and a high-end free agent reliever. I also see them re-signing Odorizzi (after sticking him with a qualifying offer) and Romo (on a 1 year deal) while declining to bring back Dyson and Perez.

Starting lineup:

C - Garver

1B - Cron

2B - Arraez

SS - Polanco

3B - Sano

RF - Kepler

CF - Buxton

LF - Rosario

DH - Cruz

Bench:

IF/OF - Gonzalez

IF - Gordon

OF - Cave

C - Astudillo

Starters:

Berrios

FA signing

Odorizzi (re-signed)

Dobnak

Graterol

Relievers:

Rogers

FA signing

Duffey

May

Romo (re-signed)

Littell

Stashak

Romero

I forgot to include Cruz at DH, so add him and remove Thorpe from my original line up.

Alright everyone - 

This series has me super depressed. Seeing that we more than likely aren't going to come back and win the series, I've already moved on to 2020.  I am anxious to see what the roster might look like next year.  Here is what I am hoping the opening day roster looks like next year. I'm trying to be somewhat realistic based on the types of acquisitions the Twins make; however, I realize my roster would be pretty expensive and may not be the most accurate.

C) Garver, Austin Romine (free agent signing that shouldn't cost too much)

1B) Jose Abreu on a 3 year deal? (non-tender Cron) 

2B) Arraez

3B) Sano, Gonzalez 

SS) Polanco, Adrianza

LF) Rosario (although, I wouldn't be opposed to them trading him this offseason while he still has some value)

CF) Buxton, Cave

RF) Kepler

SP) Berrios, Dobnak, and 3 free agents signings (hoping we can get Pineda back, and would love to get someone like a Hyun-Jin Ryu and Zach Wheeler)

RP) Rogers, Duffey, Littell, May, Graterol, Thorpe, Smelzer, Will Harris (free agent signing from the Astros)

I see them non-tendering Sam Dyson and CJ Cron and re-signing Pineda.

What do you guys think? What does your "way too early" 2020 opening day roster look like?

Graterol will NOT be in the bullpen next year - he is your best current internal shot for a #1.  No dice on Romine, and Abreu is interesting, but too expensive and blocking 1B (which we will need for one of (Rooker, AK, Sano alternative position).  As far as free-agent pitchers, you will only see two outside 'middle of the road' SP like Odo, or one attempt at a #1/2 - there will be no second other than a Pineda.  In either case, they will make an offer to Pineda (as he is not in a position of strength).  They will leave 1-2 spots open for their young pitchers, and I want Graterol to get 1 spot (even in a split with loser of Thorpe or Smeltzer).  See below:

If #1/2                                    If Middle of the Road

Free Agent 1                         Berrios

Berrios                                  Free Agent 2 (lesser priced Odo)

Pineda/Dobnak?                   Free Agent 3 (lesser than Odo, reclamation project or Pineda)

Dobnak                                 Dobnak

Smeltzer/Thorpe/Graterol             

By Year End, I would like to see Balazovic and Doan brought up for some SP innings.  I would like to see if there is anything left of Gonsalves (or move on), and I want Alcala added to RP.

As far as bullpen, they need to add 1 Free Agent.  They need to really find  

I don't think the Twins spend anything on free agents for the line-up, they just bring back everyone but Schoop and Castro. For pitching they really need to spend major money on a top of the rotation free agent starter and a high-end free agent reliever. I also see them re-signing Odorizzi (after sticking him with a qualifying offer) and Romo (on a 1 year deal) while declining to bring back Dyson and Perez.

Starting lineup:

C - Garver

1B - Cron

2B - Arraez

SS - Polanco

3B - Sano

RF - Kepler

CF - Buxton

LF - Rosario

DH - Cruz

Bench:

IF/OF - Gonzalez

IF - Gordon

OF - Cave

C - Astudillo

Starters:

Berrios

FA signing

Odorizzi (re-signed)

Dobnak

Graterol

Relievers:

Rogers

FA signing

Duffey

May

Romo (re-signed)

Littell

Stashak

Romero

I think you're pretty close. I hope the FO goes out and gets the best pitcher available in FA..... It has never happened, but a guy can hope.

Ignore the mess in the middle.  Merged two different line-ups somehow.  This is NOT what I want, but what I think will happen: 

If #1/2 Acquired

Free Agent 1

Berrios

Pineda (or Smeltzer)

Dobnak

Smeltzer or if no Pineda, Thorpe/Graterol (loser to RP)

If Middle of Road Adds

Berrios

Free Agent 2 (Odo, or lesser or cheaper version of 2020 Odo)

Free Agent 3 (Pineda, Cheap Young High Potential, or Reclamation Project)

Dobnak

Smeltzer/Thorpe/Graterol

They need to really find out if Romero is RP immediately, or send him back to SP before they completely devalue him.  They need to find a space for or clear out Gonsalves, Stashak, Wells, Barnes, Reed, etc., thus making room for Ober, Colina, Balazovic, Doan, Vallimont, Sands, etc.

Any plan that doesnt make Berrios the clear number 3 starter, is a plan for continued post season failure. No current Twin should be in the opening day rotation except Berrios and possibly Odo. They'll need to trade from the top of the minor league talent pool to accomplish this, because they ain't signing two free agents at that level.

Also need two additional bullpen arms, suitable for late inning high leverage work, with at least one being LHed.

Re-sign Castro.

Adios Romo, but thanks.

Wouldnt mind a LH hitting first baseman, in place of Cron. Or move Sano to 1st and add a 3rd baseman.

Trade Rosario for what you can get. Find a RH hitting outfielder to platoon with Cave.

$150m should be enough.

Going to be a fun offseason, nonetheless.  We have a lot of exciting talent on the way, but lots of holes in the rotation to fill. Is there any chance Alex Kirilloff and/or Rooker or Larnach make the opening day rosters? My gut says Rooker is the most likely. He could play LF (in the event they trade Rosario) or 1st base if they non-tender Cron?

C - Garver
1B - Cron
2B - Arraez
3B - Sano
SS - Polanco
RF - Kepler
CF - Buxton
LF - Rosario
DH - Cruz

C - Cruz
UT - Gonzalez
UT - Adrianza
OF - Cave

SP - Berrios
SP - Odorizzi
SP - Zach Wheeler
SP - Dobnak
SP - Graterol

RP - Rogers
RP - Duffey
RP - Will Smith
RP - May
RP - Romo
RP - Littell
RP - Stashak
RP - Smeltzer

Donde esta La Tortuga?

I think the biggest weakness is defense. At the start of the year with Buxton in CF, Gonzalez at 3B and Schoop at 2B it was pretty solid. When Sano returned and Arraez and Cave started getting more playing time the defense became a liability. Innings and pitch counts were extended and it led to even shorter starts by pitchers.

The outfield is fixed with Buxton in CF but Cave and Wade are not good defenders in CF and have different liabilities on a corner. Wade routes and arm strength and Cave’s decision making will keep them as fourth OFs at best.

The infield is the bigger challenge will below to well below average play all around. I wonder if finding an elite defensive SS while moving Polanco to 2B, Arraez to 3B and Sano to 1B should be a priority.

I think we got a good idea of the Twins with this trade deadline movement in 2019. They are going to build with pieces in the organization and supplement with a few mid-level free agent signings.

The big questions will be what to do with Cron, Dyson and Adrianza (and possibly Cave).

Resigning Pineda would be a plus, but you don't have him for two months, so what do you do.

Is Ordorzzi worthwhile to bring back on a $30+ million contract, or will he be overwhelmed by riches elsewhere.

What will come of Kyle Gibson.

Do you trade Eddie Rosario, which could be a key to adding a front line starter.

Are Haley, Rooker and Kiriloff ready to tackle the Big Leagues?

Still, with a strng Indians team once again, the White Sox making some waves...can the Twins compete again in the division? We know that is usually the one key (compete in post-season, nah...will just hope luck plays a part).

I think we got a good idea of the Twins with this trade deadline movement in 2019. They are going to build with pieces in the organization and supplement with a few mid-level free agent signings.

The big questions will be what to do with Cron, Dyson and Adrianza (and possibly Cave).

Resigning Pineda would be a plus, but you don't have him for two months, so what do you do.

Is Ordorzzi worthwhile to bring back on a $30+ million contract, or will he be overwhelmed by riches elsewhere.

What will come of Kyle Gibson.

Do you trade Eddie Rosario, which could be a key to adding a front line starter.

Are Haley, Rooker and Kiriloff ready to tackle the Big Leagues?

Still, with a strng Indians team once again, the White Sox making some waves...can the Twins compete again in the division? We know that is usually the one key (compete in post-season, nah...will just hope luck plays a part).

How does trading Rosario help get ML pitching? He'll bring back a minor league player or two.

Considering that Odorizzi, Gibson, Perez, and Pineda are all free agents (over 33 million saved) plus another 15.5 million saved with Schoop and Castro we have to go after a top tier SP. We should have money for 2 and it shows how much we need some veteran SP's against the Yankees.

The money coming off the books is between fifty and sixty million. The payroll is also lower than last year. They have plenty of money.

Yeah, look, Eddie is not the problem. When he is hot, he can carry a team. And that throw he made to second on the double in the corner was a perfect strike to 2B. Right on the money. 

Twins need to move a couple top prospects for a stud SP, and they need to sign a guy like Cole. Why not fire sale Gordon, Lewis and a slugger for a stud SP? 

I'd say add Cole and Wheeler and say goodbye to Gibby and Perez. Offer Jake and Pineda (at a discount due to the suspension).  Cut ties with Schoop and Cron.  Take a look at Kiri, or Rooker at 1B or move Sano over  there. 

But on the "don't over react" side.  Timing was bad and luck was bad. Losing big Mike was not bad luck though.  He did a dumb thing. Keps and Cron and Marwin were rusty, as was Luis.  Bad luck. And Berrios has worn down each year by October. He is not effective if he pitches 200 innings. He should skip a rotation spot starting third week of August to give him more rest. Or pitch him on 7 days rest late in the season until he develops more stamina.. 

Edited by Kelly Vance

Considering that Odorizzi, Gibson, Perez, and Pineda are all free agents (over 33 million saved) plus another 15.5 million saved with Schoop and Castro we have to go after a top tier SP.  We should have money for 2 and it shows how much we need some veteran SP's against the Yankees.

And you need two stud SPs to go deep in the playoffs. 

I think the biggest weakness is defense. At the start of the year with Buxton in CF, Gonzalez at 3B and Schoop at 2B it was pretty solid. When Sano returned and Arraez and Cave started getting more playing time the defense became a liability. Innings and pitch counts were extended and it led to even shorter starts by pitchers.

The outfield is fixed with Buxton in CF but Cave and Wade are not good defenders in CF and have different liabilities on a corner. Wade routes and arm strength and Cave’s decision making will keep them as fourth OFs at best.

The infield is the bigger challenge will below to well below average play all around. I wonder if finding an elite defensive SS while moving Polanco to 2B, Arraez to 3B and Sano to 1B should be a priority.

Royce lewis, all the other teams seem willing to try younger players - Why Not

RF- Max Kepler

SS- Jorge Polanco

DH- Nelson Cruz

1B- Carlos Santana*

3B- Miguel Sano

LF- Eddie Rosario

C- Mitch Garver

CF- Byron Buxton

2B- Luis Arraez

OF- Lamonte Wade

UTL- Marwin Gonzalez

C- Jason Castro*

1) Jose Berrois

2) Eduardo Rodriguez*

3) Dallas Keuchel*

4) Brusdar Graterol

5) Jake Odorizzi*

CL- Edwin Diaz*

Raisel Iglesias*

Fernando Romero

Taylor Rogers

Hector Rondon*

Martin Perez (or Tony Watson)*

Tyler Duffey

Trevor May

Edited by ChrisKnutson

Everyone seems to throw stud top of the rotation ace super duper starting pitcher out there like there are many available. I think they develop the rotation in house with  b- or c level fill in starters. I think they continue to build the bullpen with Graterol going back into the starting rotation until he proves he can't. I hope Balazovic makes some starts next year, probably would be very late.

I see a rotation of Berrios, Gibson, & Odorizzi with pick-em 4 & 5 of Gonzlvez, Jax, Smeltzer, Alcala Dobnek etc plus a low level free agent or 2.

They will thump a lot plus a few minor leaguers knocking on the door, but I don't see much spending anywhere.

Everyone seems to throw stud top of the rotation ace super duper starting pitcher out there like there are many available. I think they develop the rotation in house with b- or c level fill in starters. I think they continue to build the bullpen with Graterol going back into the starting rotation until he proves he can't. I hope Balazovic makes some starts next year, probably would be very late.

I see a rotation of Berrios, Gibson, & Odorizzi with pick-em 4 & 5 of Gonzlvez, Jax, Smeltzer, Alcala Dobnek etc plus a low level free agent or 2.

They will thump a lot plus a few minor leaguers knocking on the door, but I don't see much spending anywhere.

Almost everyone in this thread is predicting the opposite of stud pitching.

It would be very shocking if Kyle Gibson gets signed to a contract with the Twins this offseason. For a team with postseason ambitions, I would be very disappointed if he gets re-signed.

Everyone seems to throw stud top of the rotation ace super duper starting pitcher out there like there are many available. I think they develop the rotation in house with  b- or c level fill in starters. I think they continue to build the bullpen with Graterol going back into the starting rotation until he proves he can't. I hope Balazovic makes some starts next year, probably would be very late.

Starting lineup:

C - Garver

1B - Cron

2B - Arraez

SS - Polanco

3B - Sano

RF - Kepler

CF - Buxton

LF - Rosario

DH - Cruz

Bench:

IF/OF - Gonzalez

IF - Gordon

OF - Cave

C - Astudillo

Starters:

Berrios

FA signing

Odorizzi (re-signed)

Dobnak

Graterol

Relievers:

Rogers

FA signing

Duffey

May

Romo (re-signed)

Littell

Stashak

Romero

I'd say it's pretty much this minus Graterol. I don't see him going 150-180 innings next season. He's going to be on a count of around 120 or so I'd guess. I could see them working him out the pen perhaps and then sending him down for a couple weeks to stretch him out, but I don't think he rolls with the team, even as a 5th starter... Don't be surprised if you see Gibson or Pineda back. 

Every plan so far cuts spending by twenty to thirty million. And makes the pitching worse. That better not be the plan. won't surprise me though.

I think the Twins can get up to $135-140M in payroll by re-signing Odorizzi/Romo, signing a top end starter like Gerrit Cole, and adding a high end reliever like Will Smith. This is truly the off-season where the front office needs to go all-in and actually spend on top end talent. Any remaining money can go towards extensions for Berrios/Buxton/Sano/May.

Starting lineup:

C - Garver

1B - Cron

2B - Arraez

SS - Polanco

3B - Sano

RF - Kepler

CF - Buxton

LF - Rosario

DH - Cruz

Bench:

IF/OF - Gonzalez

IF - Gordon

OF - Cave

C - Astudillo

Starters:

Berrios

FA signing

Odorizzi (re-signed)

Dobnak

Graterol

Relievers:

Rogers

FA signing

Duffey

May

Romo (re-signed)

Littell

Romero

Very solid analysis in all areas. If Twins think Cron will be healthy for 2020 lineup falls into place. Like your thoughts on both starting and bullpen makeup. FO will expect their minor leaguers to make serious contributions last half of 2020. Both lineup and pitching.