• Create Account

GAME THREAD: Twins vs. Braves 8/7/19 12:10 CDT

Diesel

Seeing as how he made the same mistake just last night in a game that was closer than this one, I'm guessing yes, he will.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  3rd inning, down 4-0 with the bases loaded and zero outs.  Blaming Rocco for anything right is just grasping at people to blame, IMO.

I'm fascinated that the Indians are playing two today--I assume they were forced to do this.  If I were Cleveland, I would leave that middle game to the end of the year, for several reasons

1. Keep the bullpen rested heading into the most important series of the year
  2. Remain on the earlier travel schedule (they would have finished the game around 1 Eastern, and arrived in MSP somewhere between 5 and 6.  Now, they'll finish game two somewhere around 5 Eastern, and arrive in MSP somewhere between 9 and 10.  If there are extra, or delays, they could easily arrive after midnight).
  3. If the Indians finish at least 1/2 a game away from every other team, the make-up game is irrelevant anyways.  If it turns out they do need to make it up for playoff seeding, odds are they would get to play it against a Texas team whose season is over, and therefore will be completely checked out.

Cleveland playing two today is a huge win for the Twins.

I'm eight pages behind, so apologies if someone else has responded. With this being Texas' only trip to Cleveland this year, it's pretty much a given that they are going to make it up with a doubleheader on the same trip if it's feasible to do so. Teams throw fits when they have a one game series. Cleveland and Texas have three common off days, but all of them would create nasty travel schedules for one team or other (or both). And Cleveland doesn't want to give up an attendance date (note that it's a day/night DH). 

But yes, hopefully one of the games goes 15 innings or more. Both going 14 would also be acceptable. 

They took 2/3 from Cleveland, split 2/2 with Oakland and 1/3 with the Yankees.  Those are the only teams they have played with a winning record.  A loss today puts their 4 series at 1-2-1 since the break.  Not good, but that series comment since the break is kinda misleading

fair enough. lets go back to june 1:

3-1 @ tampa

1-2 @ cleveland

1-2 vs boston

2-1 vs tampa

1-2 @ oakland

2-1 vs texas

2-1 @ cleveland

0-2 vs the mets (over .500 now)

2-2 vs oakland

1-2 vs the yankees

looking like 1-2 vs the braves. total would be 16-18. not terrible, just been a bit of a struggle in the last month, especially at home for some reason

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  3rd inning, down 4-0 with the bases loaded and zero outs.  Blaming Rocco for anything right is just grasping at people to blame, IMO.

I'm not saying Rocco should pull Perez in that situation, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised to see him send Perez back out for the 4th (barring the Twins scoring a bunch of runs in the bottom of the 3rd).

I'm eight pages behind, so apologies if someone else has responded. With this being Texas' only trip to Cleveland this year, it's pretty much a given that they are going to make it up with a doubleheader on the same trip if it's feasible to do so. Teams throw fits when they have a one game series. Cleveland and Texas have three common off days, but all of them would create nasty travel schedules for one team or other (or both). And Cleveland doesn't want to give up an attendance date (note that it's a day/night DH). 

But yes, hopefully one of the games goes 15 innings or more. Both going 14 would also be acceptable. 

Yeah, that's my point--there's no way Cleveland wanted a DH today, except for the business people who want the money.  Any person in a baseball role wanted a potential makeup game delayed to the end of the year.

I'm not sure what else you do. This one is close to gone and you don't want to burn out the BP right before 4 with Cleveland. I think Perez gets another inning or 2. 

Has all the makings of a position player mound day

Featured Video