Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Twins @ Marlins, 7/30, 6:10 CT

Mill1634

The Twins get to play the MLB's worst team, but that doesn't mean that they will walk out of Miami with a sweep, or even a series victory. However, if they don't at least win two, it will for sure be a disappointment. However, the roster will, and yes, I say will because I promise you there will be at least one more trade, by Thursday's morning game. Now I'm not sure if they'll have Noah Syndergaard, or Kirby Yates, but they will have at least one new arm. However, let's get on to the series opener.

source.gif

The Pitchers:

Jake Odorizzi (11-5, 3.84 ERA, 108 K's) vs Zac Gallen (1-2, 2.76 ERA, 35 K's)

Jake Odorizzi has been very bad in July, but pitched like (and went to) an all-star before the month of July started. He got shelled by the Yankees the last time out, but so didn't every other pitcher that threw in that series. He has given up five runs in two of his last four starts. However, he isn't throwing against the Yankees or Indians tonight. Instead, he is throwing against one of the worst lineups in the MLB. However, Zac Gallen is on the complete opposite end of Odorizzi. The rookie has pitched well since he has been called up, throwing a fantastic game agains the White Sox the last time out. However, he has been very average against the good lineups that he has seen, and has an xFIP of over 4.50. I expect him to regress today, and the Twins put some runs up against the Marlins starters and bullpen.

The Lineups:

Twins

RF Max Kepler L

SS J. Polanco S
C Mitch Garver R
LF E. Rosario L
3B Miguel Sano R
2B Luis Arraez L
1B M. Gonzalez S
CF Byron Buxton R
P J. Odorizzi R

Marlins

SS Miguel Rojas R
RF B. Anderson R
1B G. Cooper R
3B Neil Walker S
2B S. Castro R
LF C. Granderson L
CF H. Ramirez R
C Jorge Alfaro R
P Zac Gallen R

I would expect that we do not see Nelson Cruz for more than three at bats over the next three days, unless they happen to put him at first base over one of the three games, which I doubt. However, everyone else should be good to go. I find it interesting that Arraez gets another start over Jonathan Schoop, but I don't disagree with it at all. Clearly Arraez isn't THIS good, but he is a really polished hitter for his age. Miguel Sano has been on an absolute tear lately, and right now the hitter I have the least confidence in is our cleanup hitter, Eddie Rosario. I expect him to go on a hot streak very soon. No Twin has ever taken a MLB at bat against Zac Gallen. Only two Marlin hitters have a hit off of Odo in their career, one of which is Starlin Castro. The Marlins 2nd basemen used to play in the same division has Jake, but has had minimal success. The righty is hitting .188 in 16 ABs, with one homer. The other Marlin with a hit is Bryan Holaday, who isn't in tonights lineup.

Mill Moments

1. Buxton off Limits

There was a rumor going around on Twitter that a Syndergaard trade started and ended with Byron Buxton for a potential deal to the Minnesota Twins. Rightfully so, the Minnesota Twins said thanks, but no thanks on that one. I can't blame them at all, because clearly Buxton is the most valuable player on the Twins roster. Clearly you can see that shown in the record with Buxton on vs off the field, but clearly he isn't 20 games better than anyone else on the roster. However, that is what he has been this year. There is nobody in baseball (besides Mike Trout) that I would trade Byron Buxton for. Not Max Scherzer. Not Chris Sale. Not Justin Verlander, and certainly not Noah Syndergaard. 

2. Sergio Romo

I think it is hard to fully evaluate the move for Sergio Romo as of now because the trade deadline hasn't came and gone yet. However, tomorrow at this time it will be much easier to grade the move. If Romo is the only arm added to the Twins roster, than certainly it is a fail. However, if Romo is the third reliever that the Twins add, than it is a fantastic move. It sets a floor for the Twins over the next 24 hours. If you add Kirby Yates and Ian Kennedy, than Romo is a perfect fit to be a 6th or 7th inning option behind those names and Taylor Rogers. However, if we are trusting Romo to be THE guy beside Taylor Rogers for the rest of the year, then it is a fail. The one good thing about Romo is he isn't scared of anything, and we will see that over the next two plus months.

This Date in History: 2001 - The Twins get Mets starter Rick Reed for outfielder and leadoff batter Matt Lawton. The 36 year-old right-hander, a member of the National League All-Star team this season, had compiled an 8-6 record with a 3.86 ERA with New York prior to the deal.

Pick to Click: Max Kepler will continue his hot streak, hitting at least one extra base hit

I'm a little confused why Marwin isn't at third (2.9 UZR this year in only 267 innings, compared to Sano's -0.4 in 409 innings.  Although that being said, I'm also surprised Adrianza isn't starting over Gonzalez, as he is better against righties (.762 OPS, 104 wRC+ compared to .710 and 88).  With no Cruz, we need to put the best possible lineup out on the field.

It'll be nice to finally see a Twins game in the 2nd half after my British trip instead of waking up each morning hoping that the final score update was a positive one.  Now that the schedule strength of ours and the Indians have tipped back in our favor, hopefully the division lead can be added on to.  But as I've maintained throughout the season, if they can keep winning 2 out of 3 or more in a series, good things will happen.  Marlins Park should be a good spot for the #BombaSquad to continue torching opposing pitching.

Dick leading off the broadcast emphasizing "HOME-GROWN" talent more than once....toeing the company line and making sure Twins-Territory (minus Sling and Dish folks) understands when there are no Trade Deadline moves made

There's always next year...

The broadcast crew are employed by the team.

What do you expect them to say?

Dick leading off the broadcast emphasizing "HOME-GROWN" talent more than once....toeing the company line and making sure Twins-Territory (minus Sling and Dish folks) understands when there are no Trade Deadline moves made

There's always next year...

How about start with “if” there are no trades instead of “when” so as not to start the game thread out on a grouchy note four posts in.

Out of curiosity I just went to FGs to see how bad MIA is at hitter WAR. Ouch. Of course, somehow, the Tigers are even worse. But 1.3 fWAR for the whole team? More than half way thru the year?

Do they sell any tickets at all?

Very few..A shame because its a nice park

Wow, so now I checked attendance! Wow. Less than 10K a game on average. I mean, Tampa has almost 60% more people at their games!

How does FL have two teams still (asks the guy in Portland......)?

Yeah it’s a shame, should have good markets for baseball down there. Can’t imagine attendance will really improve as much as they hope if the Rays move from St Pete to Tampa.

Wow, so now I checked attendance! Wow. Less than 10K a game on average. I mean, Tampa has almost 60% more people at their games!

How does FL have two teams still (asks the guy in Portland......)?

Tampa would likely draw really good crowds if they put a ballpark in a much better location.  For one, it's a dump and for two, it's located as far away from the population as it could be and it's not very easy to get to.  There's a spot just outside of downtown Tampa near a pair of interstates that would be a perfect place for it and then they could draw populations from all over central and west coast of Florida, not just the St. Pete/Bradenton peninsula area.

As for Miami, as long as Jeter is running the show, I hope they continue to be miserable.

How about start with “if” there are no trades instead of “when” so as not to start the game thread out on a grouchy note four posts in.

My apologies for underestimating the sensitive nature of GameThread readers as the tongue-in-cheek nature of the post was improperly defined

I won't do it again...at least until the 5 post :)

Featured Video