• Create Account

Game Thread: Twins vs White Sox 5:10 PM PST (7:10 PM CST) 5/24/2019

Blake

A kid from church has his high school grad party tonight. If I get a chance after I get home, I'll offer some of Benetti's gems in the GT. 

Watching from the DVR, but here's the Benetti report:

Top of the 1st

1. Where have the Twins been so far? Away from us, and that's good news because they're 33-16. 

2. Tip of the cap to umpire Larry Vanover doing his 3,000th game.

3. Target Field is a lovely place to watch a baseball game.

4. A breaking ball with a mind of its own hits Tilson.

5. Notes that Moncada's bunt may have been seeking a hit, but Berrios is too good an athlete.

6. Berrios has one of the sharpest curve balls in major league baseball.

Bottom of the 1st

1. Kepler made contact with the wall yesterday in Anaheim. He ended up with a calf that looked like it had been through a car wash.

2. You watch tape of these guys and pitches that leak out over the plate end up a long ways from home.

3. That pitch nearly dots Polanco.

4. Twins are slugging at .516, which is .025 better than the best team in baseball history, the 2003 Red Sox. Not only are they on an epic base, but well beyond the best team in history.

5. Gonzalez had a bumpy ride in March and April, but recently has started to what the Twins hoped for.

6. Rosario takes a soft strike one (it was a marginal call).

7. (After Castillo called time when Kepler had a big lead.) Kepler was going to run into Welington Castillo and see if the tag counted.

8. (Stone after wild pitch): Castillo looking at the baseball to see why it took that bizarre path.

9. Moncado throws a dagger to first base (on Cron). Twins had a run they thought they were going to score, but YoYo holds the line!

Top of 2nd

1. Polanco comes from down under and throws it way too high.

2. Berrios' performance last year against the Sox in April was the disappearing baseball, one of the best performances we saw all year.

3. Rare rainout in Anaheim -- they didn't plan to use the tarp.

4. (Berrios lobs pickoff throw) Throw to first, with everything in slow motion. That was like a dream sequence. (Follow up throw). That was the more sped-up version.

5. Berrios to first where Sanchez has 1 stolen base, but Berrios may have misread the stolen base column to see 11 or 21.

6. And a flinch to first base... the drama.

7. (Stone:) It's tough to get hit twice in two innings, but Charlie (Tilson) was able to do it.

8. (Showing a kid with dad wearing a Sox shirt and Mom a Twins shirt). That's a confused kid trying to keep everybody happy with the Twins cap and the Sox shirt.

9. They refer to Berrios as La Machina, the Machine, but somebody spilled water on the Machine this inning.

Bottom of the 2nd

1. (Stone: The ball's going out to all fields). It goes out to the 600-level! 

2. (After a foul ball). That was off a chair back and worried the people nearby. (After discussing the location of the press box.) Look, we're always under assault back here. Stone: Don't worry, I'll protect you. Benetti: That is the biggest lie I've heard tonight, in the words of Lewis Black, sort of.

3. (Next ball is hit off the top of the screen.) If that had a couple more inches, it was coming right for my aorta area. Stone: I'm here for you. It appears that I'm diving under the counter, but I had that one all the way. Benetti; It was very clear that you thought it was coming, because your headset nearly came off. That sound you heard was Steve resetting.

4. (Schoop HBP) We have substantial plunkings. That is the third hit by pitch.

5. (Discussing replay options). Could say that we have it under the microscope, but that would be a pun that is below us, but we can't do that on a Friday. We save the bad ones for the weekend.

6. (Shares that a tweet came in from a woman who said she said, "uh, huh" after someone lied at work today.) Apparently I have a penchant for saying "uh, huh," when you (Stone) lie. I'm glad that's catching on. I wanted to share that with you, so you can take that to your work place.

7. (Stone: When he learns to use right and right center, he's going to be dangerous.) You mean the 18 doubles isn't enough for you?

8. (Stone: This is a single for almost everybody in the league except for Buxton.)

9. (After sac fly.) The cash register continues to have drawer open in terms of runs in this game.

10. (After discussing the Twins sweeping the Sox at the end of the year). It's nice symmetry for us, with Joe Mauer's farewell and then his first bobblehead in our last trip this year/first trip this year, if you enjoy symmetry. The crowd is loud right now, but not as loud as when Joe Mauer was on the field last year. 

Top of the 1st

1. Where have the Twins been so far? Away from us, and that's good news because they're 33-16. 

5. Notes that Moncada's bunt may have been seeking a hit, but Berrios is too good an athlete.

Bottom of the 1st

1. Kepler made contact with the wall yesterday in Anaheim. He ended up with a calf that looked like it had been through a car wash.

2. You watch tape of these guys and pitches that leak out over the plate end up a long ways from home.

4. Twins are slugging at .516, which is .025 better than the best team in baseball history, the 2003 Red Sox. Not only are they on an epic base, but well beyond the best team in history.

5. Gonzalez had a bumpy ride in March and April, but recently has started to what the Twins hoped for.

7. (After Castillo called time when Kepler had a big lead.) Kepler was going to run into Welington Castillo and see if the tag counted.

8. (Stone after wild pitch): Castillo looking at the baseball to see why it took that bizarre path.

9. Moncado throws a dagger to first base (on Cron). Twins had a run they thought they were going to score, but YoYo holds the line!

Top of 2nd

2. Berrios' performance last year against the Sox in April was the disappearing baseball, one of the best performances we saw all year.

4. (Berrios lobs pickoff throw) Throw to first, with everything in slow motion. That was like a dream sequence. (Follow up throw). That was the more sped-up version.

5. Berrios to first where Sanchez has 1 stolen base, but Berrios may have misread the stolen base column to see 11 or 21.

7. (Stone:) It's tough to get hit twice in two innings, but Charlie (Tilson) was able to do it.

8. (Showing a kid with dad wearing a Sox shirt and Mom a Twins shirt). That's a confused kid trying to keep everybody happy with the Twins cap and the Sox shirt.

9. They refer to Berrios as La Machina, the Machine, but somebody spilled water on the Machine this inning.

Bottom of the 2nd

2. (After a foul ball). That was off a chair back and worried the people nearby. (After discussing the location of the press box.) Look, we're always under assault back here. Stone: Don't worry, I'll protect you. Benetti: That is the biggest lie I've heard tonight, in the words of Lewis Black, sort of.

3. (Next ball is hit off the top of the screen.) If that had a couple more inches, it was coming right for my aorta area. Stone: I'm here for you. It appears that I'm diving under the counter, but I had that one all the way. Benetti; It was very clear that you thought it was coming, because your headset nearly came off. That sound you heard was Steve resetting.

5. (Discussing replay options). Could say that we have it under the microscope, but that would be a pun that is below us, but we can't do that on a Friday. We save the bad ones for the weekend.

6. (Shares that a tweet came in from a woman who said she said, "uh, huh" after someone lied at work today.) Apparently I have a penchant for saying "uh, huh," when you (Stone) lie. I'm glad that's catching on. I wanted to share that with you, so you can take that to your work place.

7. (Stone: When he learns to use right and right center, he's going to be dangerous.) You mean the 18 doubles isn't enough for you?

8. (Stone: This is a single for almost everybody in the league except for Buxton.)

9. (After sac fly.) The cash register continues to have drawer open in terms of runs in this game.

10. (After discussing the Twins sweeping the Sox at the end of the year). It's nice symmetry for us, with Joe Mauer's farewell and then his first bobblehead in our last trip this year/first trip this year, if you enjoy symmetry. The crowd is loud right now, but not as loud as when Joe Mauer was on the field last year.

That is LITERALLY the longest post at this stage of a game thread since 1978.

Top of the 1st

Bottom of the 1st

Top of 2nd

Bottom of the 2nd

Can we trade Dick and Jack for these two?

Benetti (with Jimenez up): It's nice to the Eloy jersey her in Minnesota. It takes some doing to be a Sox fan and travel, but to already have the the Eloy Jimenez jersey and have scheduled a trip, that's sincere fandom.

Stone: And for Sox fans, this is a great place travel. First of all, the downtown is beautiful and the ballpark is outstanding. It's close. A lot of nice places to visit. And walleye. 

Benetti: You really do love walleye. Your Twitter key to the game was all about walleye, you're talking about walleye in the third inning, I think you might be at obsession-level with that fish. 

Stone: It's a quality fish.

Benetti: As Vin Scully once said when he was talking about a player on the Rockies, (in Scully imitation) "A mullet is both a hairdo and a fish."  

Invite me over, I can get down on that. As long as this unending hit parade keeps rolling down the street I can even drink tequilla. I hate tequilla.

I've got plenty of vodka and tequilla. You near Cleveland? Wife's away.. Just need to get my son to school for a wrestling tournament before 7.  

Benetti (after Rosario just misses a fly ball and scrapes himself): Just rub a little walleye on it. 

Benetti: We've seen all kinds of moves to first by Berrios. That was the delay and then fire.

Stone: If you get anyone with that one, they are either reading a newspaper or checking their smart phone.

I've got plenty of vodka and tequilla. You near Cleveland? Wife's away.. Just need to get my son to school for a wrestling tournament before 7.

Appreciate the invite, but I am snug and secure i Little Falls, MN. Let's both tip one back in honor of this redonkulous year :)

What a game from Sano. 3 runs. 2 walks. 1 HR. Playing a more than adequate 3rd base.

What an addition to this lineup if he’s healthy, in-shape, and performing to even 3/4 of his potential.

I think people have forgotten how good this guys can be.

Featured Video