Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recent comments by Buxton

DrNeau

Plain and simple, a humble guy like Buxton shouldn't be making these kinds of comments if that is the type of image he wants to uphold. When he said, "I aiin't gonna sugarcoat nothin" what was he thinking?  

He really needs to calm down.  He explicitly stated he was "pissed" about last September.  Well....it's March tomorrow, due.  Get over it and just hit.

Who says that's the image he wants for himself? As to your latter statement, what has he done so far in spring training other than hit?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I noticed that when Buxton gets criticized for something he says it is a big deal.

Not terribly interested in pursuing this disucssion, but there are a few things I am reading here that makes me shake my head.  This idea about him having a "chip on his shoulder" and then he and Baldelli talk about "having fun" doesn't really make sense.

Buxton needs to learn how to stay on a more even keel or else he isn't ever going to be good for playing full seasons in the majors.  The verbal salvos about this and that and saying how "pissed" he was last September...I get it.

Whatever.  Get over it already and calm the F down.  When I read stuff like this it is a red flag:

“I didn’t go to no hitting coach, I didn’t go work out with nobody, I worked out by myself, I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay.”

"I hit by myself and that's where it's going to stay"

Like Hell it is.  He'd better be watching videos, hitting with the team, listening to feedback, etc... at all times.  Does he think this is policy now?  At the very least someone needs to correct him in this case.  He isn't going to work autonomously on his offensive game and if he thinks he is he's nuts.  If that isn't what he wanted to get across then he needs to either shut up or learn how to express himself better.

This isn't about "context" or "reading too much into things"

He is pretty explicit and if this is his true "not sugarcoating nothing" attitude he darn well better hit like an All Star

I think if he had said angry or upset instead of pissed, this entire interview would have a different feel to it.

He went with "pissed" and he went with it while he was at charity event  at a children's hospital.

Inappropriate at best

He seems to get rocked too easily/  He's hyped up and ready to go now, but where is he at in April.  That is what I want to see.  He's developed quite an April track record:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=month%7CApril%2FMarch%7Cbuxtoby01%7Cbat%7CAB%7C

170 plate appearances and a .454 OPS

#notsugarcoating 

Who says that's the image he wants for himself? 

That hardly matters to me.  It is what was out there and it is what was discussed.  Don't ask me about the rational behind that and don't me how it all got started.  The fact is, it was out there and talked about as a positive attribute in all scouting reports you read about him.

Whether he wanted it or not he was characterized by the Twins and in scouting reports in that manner.  Do you deny that?

I don't blame that on Buxton for a second.  I blame it on the hype machine that cooed about him as a can't miss franchise guy, partly because he was such a "humble" and "down to earth" kinda fellow.

Yeah.  Not seeing that this winter in the comments he makes

Funny how two people can hear the same thing and react completely differently. When I read the same article I thought, hmm sounds goods, he does seem like someone who needs to get out of his own head. Good for him hope it works. That's it, does not seem like something worth much speculation. The bottom line is if this guy gets it together and plays well the next several years it'll be with the twins and I'll bet he'll be happy. Quit worrying. Oh and several years from now if an all star Buxton still holds a grudge and wants to leave I sure the team will know and they can trade him. Big deal. Seriously lighten up Francis.

Funny how two people can hear the same thing and react completely differently. When I read the same article I thought, hmm sounds goods, he does seem like someone who needs to get out of his own head. Good for him hope it works. That's it, does not seem like something worth much speculation. The bottom line is if this guy gets it together and plays well the next several years it'll be with the twins and I'll bet he'll be happy. Quit worrying. Oh and several years from now if an all star Buxton still holds a grudge and wants to leave I sure the team will know and they can trade him. Big deal. Seriously lighten up Francis.

"I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay"

It's speculation to say he doesn't like being coached on hitting?  Tell that to the people in this thread who are happy he is pissed off.  The man did say he "ain't sugarcoating nothing"

Right or wrong, I've paid attention to what he says.  He is speaking pretty explicitly in the quotes shared by the OP.

He needs to shut up about this stuff now and he needs to calm down.  He has been keyed up all winter and by the time the season starts he might just spontaneously combust if he isn't careful. He needs to let his bat do the talking..  Staring in April. I won't pump my chest out about three spring training games in February

And let me just say this in closing...….

I am very pleased with the work he put in this winter.  I  think he finally understands that he needs to do baseball at least 11 months out of the year.  Hitting is a glaring weakness and I also thought he needed to put on some weight and get stronger.  He did those things and I applaud him for that.

"I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay"

It's speculation to say he doesn't like being coached on hitting?

I know you said you don't care for context, but you're assuming a fairly specific context when you interpret "and that's where it's going to stay" to mean that he doesn't like coaching in general.

And judging by the many media reports containing this quote (at MLB.com, Pioneer Press, Star Tribune, etc.), it seems unlikely that the context of Buxton's discussion with this group of reporters was anything as remotely controversial as a general rejection of coaching.

When players talk and the words they speak are twisted and thrown back in their face. Eventually they stop talking... like most of them already have. Not just players but Doctors speaking to patients. Office workers in casual conversation with others. Along with Married Couples trying to stay married or not trying anymore.

Give Byron sometime to learn this and we won’t hear anything other than PR approved cliches out of him.

This is how we get further and further from each other.

Buxton just hit another home run. Although MLB.com's gamecast isn't entirely clear about this, it appears that he was talking the whole time during this plate appearance, as he rounded the bases and up until he got into the dugout. Obviously, there are some posters here who won't be happy about it . . . .

I know you said you don't care for context, but you're assuming a fairly specific context when you interpret "and that's where it's going to stay" to mean that he doesn't like coaching in general.

And judging by the many media reports containing this quote (at MLB.com, Pioneer Press, Star Tribune, etc.), it seems unlikely that the context of Buxton's discussion with this group of reporters was anything as remotely controversial as a general rejection of coaching.

I did not say "coaching in general"

I said "coaching in hitting"

There is a distinction to be made.  Also, how is it unnatural for him to have this feeling?  He's gone through all sorts of metamorphosis with his mechanics to the point where he should be tired of it.  Not sure why I need to wonder if additional context is needed or not.  He's speaking pretty darn clearly as far as I can see.

Buxton just hit another home run. Although MLB.com's gamecast isn't entirely clear about this, it appears that he was talking the whole time during this plate appearance, as he rounded the bases and up until he got into the dugout. Obviously, there are some posters here who won't be happy about it . . . .

Cute.  I almost couldn't see the sarcasm

All I read in his comments is a guy who is confident in what he did this offseason.  And the results are showing so far this spring.  

Does he maybe have a little bit of an edge to him now, perhaps, but I like that.  His words came out confidently, and he is swing the bat more confidently right now too.

When he said he was here and then heading home, what I got out of that line was he was trying to show that even though it's just a 1 day thing he could have skipped, he decided for the fans and kids he would fly up to Minnesota for it, even though he didn't have anything else planned up here around it.  Then head home.

BTW he hit another home run today too.  And outside of the home runs, I am even more impressed he has now gone 11 plate appearances and hasn't struck out.  Keep it up!

There is a distinction to be made.  Also, how is it unnatural for him to have this feeling?  He's gone through all sorts of metamorphosis with his mechanics to the point where he should be tired of it.  Not sure why I need to wonder if additional context is needed or not.  He's speaking pretty darn clearly as far as I can see.

Plenty of guys tinker with their hitting stance and approach their whole careers. Cal Ripken comes to mind. Buxton appears to be one of those guys; I’ve been saying this for years actually. I wouldn’t be shocked one bit if he changes his approach again at some point.

There is a distinction to be made.

The "in general" was not meant to replace "in hitting" -- you can put "in hitting" back into my post and it has the same point. It was meant to reflect that you are interpreting this one sentence to have *general* meaning, when it was surrounded by a discussion about fairly specific things and timeframes (this spring and past offseason).

I think it's far more likely that the sentence simply applied to this spring and past offseason, like pretty much every other statement he made in the article and how every publication reported it, rather than he casually slipped in one sentence that applied generally and no one detected it (except a few intrepid TD posters :) ).

The "in general" was not meant to replace "in hitting" -- you can put "in hitting" back into my post and it has the same point.

I don't think it does, but that is fine.

We can agree to disagree on that 

I don't think it does, but that is fine.

We can agree to disagree on that

Here you go:

I know you said you don't care for context, but you're assuming a fairly specific context when you interpret "and that's where it's going to stay" to mean that he doesn't like coaching of hitting.

And judging by the many media reports containing this quote (at MLB.com, Pioneer Press, Star Tribune, etc.), it seems unlikely that the context of Buxton's discussion with this group of reporters was anything as remotely controversial as a general rejection of coaching of hitting.

Thing I notice this spring:  his eyes.

You look and his eyes are like half open.  He has narrowed his tunnel of vision down and is picking up the ball a lot earlier.

He lays off curve balls right away. He reads the fast balls and where they are, in-zone or out-of-zone.

Not sure if this means he is more relaxed or he's cleared his head or he's turned down the movement in his body to the point where he just has his eyes and his body in synch.

I don't know, but take a look at his eyes from the center field shot.

Has he struck out this spring? What his swing and miss percentage?

Thing I notice this spring:  his eyes.

You look and his eyes are like half open.  He has narrowed his tunnel of vision down and is picking up the ball a lot earlier.

He lays off curve balls right away. He reads the fast balls and where they are, in-zone or out-of-zone.

Not sure if this means he is more relaxed or he's cleared his head or he's turned down the movement in his body to the point where he just has his eyes and his body in synch.

I don't know, but take a look at his eyes from the center field shot.

There is no denying there is SOMETHING different about him and there sure needed to be.  But at the same time lakes and ponds are still frozen.  I have to see this kind of thing in April to put the demons to bed.  He has started off every season horribly.  While I am encourage by this barrage out of the gate I am going to take a wait and see approach.  If he can hit well in April  that will do a lot to get me on the bandwagon

There is no denying there is SOMETHING different about him and there sure needed to be. But at the same time lakes and ponds are still frozen. I have to see this kind of thing in April to put the demons to bed. He has started off every season horribly. While I am encourage by this barrage out of the gate I am going to take a wait and see approach. If he can hit well in April that will do a lot to get me on the bandwagon

Perhaps this discussion can be tabled until May, then. :)

No strikeouts. One walk. I don't think anyone keeps track of swings and misses in spring training so couldn't tell you on that one.

I didn't see the full game yesterday but I do remember one swing and miss. He doesn't seem to be flailing at pitches so far, like he usually does. Baseball reference has his opposition quality at AAA level so far this spring.

Oh, and Gladden asked him about working with coaches and he did say he is working with and listening to coaches during spring training.

i cant speak for everyone but I know when i was 26 and defiant and proud, i had times when i wanted to prove some doubters were wrong about me. If this has motivated him then so be it. Whatever comments he has made, lets not over analyze them. It's a young man speaking. Most importantly let's look at the loyalty and commitment they show to his teammates and the organization(i.e. us the fans).

I don't imagine many players hit with the hitting coach in December. Is Rowson expected to tour the country and the Caribbean all off season scheduling sessions with all the players? 

Well in the Winter it would be kinda nice ;)

I don't imagine many players hit with the hitting coach in December. Is Rowson expected to tour the country and the Caribbean all off season scheduling sessions with all the players? 

Why not?

1) He's getting a paycheck year-round I am sure.

2) He can expense these trips to the team.

Sure, drinking margaritas by the pool during the offseason is more fun, but I doubt that's how champions are made.

Twins' Byron Buxton carrying more bulk, moxie this season

March 11, 2019 - Jim Souhan - Star Tribune

The soft-spoken small-town kid is this spring displaying confidence bordering on the kind of competitive defiance that defines so many great athletes.

“I’m 100 times more confident. Nobody fazes me anymore. I’m ready. This is me. My father told me, ‘Time to start being you.’ He knows me better than anybody else. I’ve looked up to him my entire life. If he tells me that, then obviously it was time to change. Torii went through the same thing I went through. I’m not necessarily independent. I just know what I need to do to get myself ready to play this game. I’m not uncoachable. I want to be coached, but it’s got to fit me. No more, ‘Maybe you should try this, or do this.’ I’m not doing any of that. I’m being myself.

--

More comments from Buxton came out today, and are sort of ambiguous. On one hand he is saying he wants to be coached, but at the same time be basically said he will not try things at the advice of coaches - that he is "being himself". 

Seems like he has a bit more self-awareness in these comments by addressing whether or not he is coachable. Maybe he was called out for having an uncoachable attitude? Still, he doubled down on not changing anything at their advice.

Souhan praised Buxton in this article for having "competitive defiance". 

It seems to me that the only defiance he has had this off-season has been aimed at the Twins and their coaches. Surprisingly to me, the media (now Souhan) and the comment board in the article are praising him for this. I've got to say, comments like these are not typical of players, and I see it as sort of problematic for the organization. Not going to sugarcoat anything... if he wants to be Mr. "I hit by myself and that's the way it's going to stay", he'd better darn well hit. 

He's saying the exact same thing he did during the interview in the OP. He's had to rephrase it because some have taken liberty with his quotes to the point where he's being labeled an uncoachable malcontent.

It isn't surprising at all that a media mouth piece for the organization is doing some damage control after the Twins dropped the ball. 

He's saying the exact same thing he did during the interview in the OP. He's had to rephrase it because some have taken liberty with his quotes to the point where he's being labeled an uncoachable malcontent.

It isn't surprising at all that a media mouth piece for the organization is doing some damage control after the Twins dropped the ball.

If he is saying he will not take advice of coaching anymore, one would hardly be “taking liberty” with his quotes to view him as uncoachable. Also, how did the Twins “drop the ball”? Buxton is just out there running his mouth to the media about how he’s done taking advice from coaches, but now suddenly stating he is coachable.

I'll trust the Twins coaches and even Souhan on that one far more than I'll trust an internet attempt to deconstruct a statement without context. 

Buxton has an option left... dont' kid your self and think the Twins won't use it if Buxton is being uncoachable. They can still delay his FA by another year if they so chose. 

Archived