Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Perry Castellanos, many other strength coaches let go

Seth Stohs

Well, they failed Sano and arguably Buxton. Perhaps Nick Gordon as well.

Glad to see some accountability. It’s a nice change from the previous regime.

I think Sano had a decent hand in failing himself, don't you think?  I don't know how Gordon has been failed by the organization, unless you mean promoting him when he didn't deserve it over and over.

I also don't see it with Buxton.

I think Sano had a decent hand in failing himself, don't you think? I don't know how Gordon has been failed by the organization, unless you mean promoting him when he didn't deserve it over and over.

Certainly players have responsibility for their performance and their conditioning. But these coaches have that responsibility too. Otherwise, why employ them?

This is at least the second consecutive year Gordon has started strong and faded. That could be conditioning. There are likely other factors as well, of course.

Sure, some of Buxton’s inability to stay on the field are flukish injuries that no amount of conditioning could prevent. But, I believe better strength and conditioning could have helped him stay on the field more as well.

No accountability, organization-wide, and the strength and conditioning coach gets fired. Makes sense. This is the same Perry Castellano that the franchise player declined to work with, and instead got his own "stretching guru". A strength and conditioning coach can only do so much. At some point the team has to enforce some things. Hopefully Molitor's firing, Mauer's ended contract, and some of these other moves will be followed up by some actual accountability. 

Edited by DrNeau

I'm sure the better results for pitchers in Rochester than in Chattanooga had a lot to do with the pitching coach being let go.

Interesting on what this means for Tyler Jay.  He needs to be added to the 40 man this often season or exposed to the rule 5 draft.  Expect some bad club will take a flyer on him if exposed. 

There are some new ideas out there when it comes to strength and conditioning.

For instance, there's a guy by the name of Mark Rippetoe who's got a book, "Starting Strength" who makes a very persuasive case that barbell training is for everyone, not just muscle heads.

Gordon earned his promotion... he fell flat on his face after. I think there's legitimate question to his conditioning considering he gets off to a hot start every year and then takes a major dive come the half way mark. That looks a lot like a conditioning issue... not sure if it is or not, but it certainly looks like one. 

I agree with this.  But isn't much of the conditioning done during the off season?  What is Gordon doing in the off season to prepare?  All I have heard about his off season is about rap videos.  Does he work as hard as needed, as hard as Berrios?  Or not?

This is at least the second consecutive year Gordon has started strong and faded. That could be conditioning. There are likely other factors as well, of course.

Absolutely.  Likely off-season conditioning and hitting the gym and trying to add a few lbs of muscle on his frame, but he chose to be G Cinco instead.

Edited by Thrylos

Absolutely.  Likely off-season conditioning and hitting the gym and trying to add a few lbs of muscle on his frame, but he chose to be G Cinco instead.

I'm mostly a lurker and haven't commented here in quite a while. But I just wanted to say, I've seen you make comments on Nick Gordon's music here and on Twitter multiple times and I don't understand your infatuation with it. He may not be the top SS prospect we all hoped he would become when the Twins drafted him, but overall he's been fine and I still think he can become an average everyday regular at the Major League level. Players are allowed to have interests outside of baseball. Get over it.

No accountability, organization-wide, and the strength and conditioning coach gets fired. Makes sense. This is the same Perry Castellano that the franchise player declined to work with, and instead got his own "stretching guru". A strength and conditioning coach can only do so much. At some point the team has to enforce some things. Hopefully Molitor's firing, Mauer's ended contract, and some of these other moves will be followed up by some actual accountability. 

Uh, this is literally accountability. What exactly are you looking for?

Unreal. You don't think he can lift and throw and have a hobby? I just don't get this obsession of yours at all.....

I think Sano had a decent hand in failing himself, don't you think?  I don't know how Gordon has been failed by the organization, unless you mean promoting him when he didn't deserve it over and over.

wut?

Gordon has deserved every promotion so far. Clearly the pundits and you don't agree on this at all....

Unreal. You don't think he can lift and throw and have a hobby? I just don't get this obsession of yours at all.....

I get it: Gordon's development has been very frustrating at times, and his highly visible hobby is an easy thing to focus that frustration on.

I get it, but I don't agree with it.

wut?

Gordon has deserved every promotion so far. Clearly the pundits and you don't agree on this at all....

he got promoted from rookie ball with a .699 OPS, promoted from A ball with a .696 OPS, then promoted from A+ ball with a .721 OPS. Never had an OBP over .335 at any of those stops. I wish there was a but more dominance of a league displayed before moving on. He was an extremely high draft pick, he should have been killing it.

Obviously, now, his numbers in AA warranted a move to AAA, but those other promotions? I dont know.

Anyway, that was what prompted my comment. I'll be very very happy to be wrong and see this guy be a stud.

In any event, still not sure how anyone can say this organization has done him wrong, which was the original opinion I disagreed with.

Edited by jimmer

Some are born G Cinco, some achieve G Cinconess, and some have G Cinconess thrust upon them.

That said... to echo others here, knock that off.

Some are born G Cinco, some achieve G Cinconess, and some have G Cinconess thrust upon them.

I'll never forget the day that I woke up, looked in the mirror, and discovered that I was G Cinco.

I walked around that day with new legs. I saw with new eyes. And everywhere I went, the world turned to watch me pass. Some smiled and waved. Others stood with mouths agape. But all saw me. G Cinco.

And so I lived as G Cinco lives. I woke up. Put on fresh kicks. I was the man. I was with your girl. Gucci sandals. I got a group of friends. There was nothing they couldn't handle. I was G Cinco. I was the man.

She knew that. I had a Rolex. I told people who saw me to use exclusively Kodak products for photos. My boys had my back in this approach. We balled big. That's just what we did.

I drove a Bentley with a rather troublesome woman. I wondered where my money was briefly. Then I found it. She knew. I bathed in it. One hundred dollar bills. I bathed. And I couldn't just choose one companion. I was G Cinco. I was the man.

I flexed. I drove recklessly. Your girl continued calling and texting. I wouldn't lose, because I was the best. I could spend my money foolishly. The women liked riding with me in a convertible. Some people hated me because I was too attractive. I couldn't help it. I lived big. I bought anything. I couldn't lose. I was the man. I kept my money and my friends with me. I did what I wanted. There was nothing my friends couldn't handle.

I was the man.

And then just as quickly, one day arrived when I woke up, and I was no longer G Cinco. I was a 47 year old who did Communications work for an Engineering and Architecture firm. I was no longer G Cinco.

But I will always be the man.

Edited by scottz

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, this is literally accountability. What exactly are you looking for?

If the coaches are held accountable, the players should be as well.

We had players completely bypass working out with the team's strength and conditioning coach, and instead worked out with their private "stretching coach" and brought the media in to lift 55-lb squats. Players just doing whatever they want... no one holding them accountable. There is no reason Mauer was enabled to avoid being on the Twins' strength training program. Team was just fine with it. That is bogus. 

What are the duties of a strength and conditioning coach? Who is the ultimate supervisor who sets the plan (the guy at the major league level or someone else?).

I know that the coaches are supposed to work individually with players, especially in establishing off-season workout and nutrition plans, as well as individual work and plans throughout the season. Talk about non-renewing your top four guys in this department. Will be interesting to see who replaces them.

I'll never forget the day that I woke up, looked in the mirror, and discovered that I was G Cinco.

I walked around that day with new legs. I saw with new eyes. And everywhere I went, the world turned to watch me pass. Some smiled and waved. Others stood with mouths agape. But all saw me. G Cinco.

And so I lived as G Cinco lives. I woke up. Put on fresh kicks. I was the man. I was with your girl. Gucci sandals. I got a group of friends. There was nothing they couldn't handle. I was G Cinco. I was the man.

She knew that. I had a Rolex. I told people who saw me to use exclusively Kodak products for photos. My boys had my back in this approach. We balled big. That's just what we did.

I drove a Bentley with a rather troublesome woman. I wondered where my money was briefly. Then I found it. She knew. I bathed in it. One hundred dollar bills. I bathed. And I couldn't just choose one companion. I was G Cinco. I was the man.

I flexed. I drove recklessly. Your girl continued calling and texting. I wouldn't lose, because I was the best. I could spend my money foolishly. The women liked riding with me in a convertible. Some people hated me because I was too attractive. I couldn't help it. I lived big. I bought anything. I couldn't lose. I was the man. I kept my money and my friends with me. I did what I wanted. There was nothing my friends couldn't handle.

I was the man.

And then just as quickly, one day arrived when I woke up, and I was no longer G Cinco. I was a 47 year old who did Communications work for an Engineering and Architecture firm. I was no longer G Cinco.

This is really well-written and clever. Please, quit it; we have standards around here.

Edited by PseudoSABR

I was the man.

Bravo! You da man.

I was the man.

I can relate to this. I too once drove a Bentley. Once, being the operative word in that sentence. Likewise I had a troublesome woman. The problem is, I no longer have the Bentley, but I still have the troublesome woman! :)