Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Here we go again. Rangers "not respecting the game"

ewen21

Jurikson Profar was hit three times yesterday and he was apparently hit the 3rd time because he stole a base in the FOURTH INNING!  It is inappropriate to play hard in the fourth inning of a baseball game?  Players are supposed to ease up on the pedal in the fourth inning of a ballgame?  According to Paul Molitor they do.

"It's the fourth inning," Rangers manager Jeff Banister said. "We're still playing baseball. He stole second base in that situation that I didn't think was an unnecessary situation, in my opinion. There's still a lot of game to be played."
Twins manager Paul Molitor had a different view.
"The thought process between the unwritten rules of the game is not clearly defined," he said. "What I might think and what he might think might be different things. I was surprised that [Profar] ran with the score the way it was, when he did. And getting hit there was something that Banister felt wasn't appropriate."

http://www.startribune.com/busenitz-up-romero-down-and-take-out-your-unwritten-rule-books-and-turn-to-page-1-379/486368501/

"I thought the intent there was excessive, especially they tried to dial him up three different times. The guy's playing baseball hard. I guess you can look at it at the difference of what they're focusing in on and what we're focusing in on."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article213732554.html#storylink=cpy

The underlined part.  In a big way.

I fully support Profar's efforts to steal a base at that point. These unwritten rules frequently come off as so juvenile that I can't help but roll my eyes. Hey, it's baseball: the game ain't over till it's over. Play hard all nine innings!

Molitor's comments reflect poorly on the Twins.  Very VERY disappointed to read these articles this morning.  Molitor should be more concerned with his own team.  He should be twice as hard on his players hustling and playing aggressive baseball than whining about other teams doing so at "inappropriate times"

The game ended with the tying run at the plate. I think a fourth inning steal was perfecly appropriate. What if (and I know this is far fetched) Morrison had hit a homerun? An extra run by the Rangers in the fourth inning would have been pivotal. Molitor probably spouted off because his own team barely understands which way to circle the bases.

This is ridiculous - and a big reason why I think the Twins need to make sure Brian Dozier isn't on the team next year, since he seems to be the main proponent of this kind of attitude. The "respect the game", the (white) baseball "tradition" mantra is never going to rally the young Twins core or get fans in the seats - particularly fans under 30 who are paying less and less attention to baseball.

The Twins getting mad at Profar for stealing a base, or Chance Sisco for bunting to beat the shift, literally tells fans that this game isn't worth watching anymore. It tells us that the players aren't trying anymore and if any of them show the audacity to keep trying - any excitement, any energy, any will to compete - they risk getting a 95 mph fastball thrown at their head. 

It's the same idea as when Jack Morris suggests that the only baseball worth watching was in the 80s - the message is to stop watching the game. 

How are the Twins going to build a winning culture if they insist on these strict rules for when it's okay - and when it's not okay - to compete?

This is ridiculous - and a big reason why I think the Twins need to make sure Brian Dozier isn't on the team next year, since he seems to be the main proponent of this kind of attitude. The "respect the game", the (white) baseball "tradition" mantra is never going to rally the young Twins core or get fans in the seats - particularly fans under 30 who are paying less and less attention to baseball.

The Twins getting mad at Profar for stealing a base, or Chance Sisco for bunting to beat the shift, literally tells fans that this game isn't worth watching anymore. It tells us that the players aren't trying anymore and if any of them show the audacity to keep trying - any excitement, any energy, any will to compete - they risk getting a 95 mph fastball thrown at their head. 

It's the same idea as when Jack Morris suggests that the only baseball worth watching was in the 80s - the message is to stop watching the game. 

How are the Twins going to build a winning culture if they insist on these strict rules for when it's okay - and when it's not okay - to compete?

Really great post.

"The thought process between the unwritten rules of the game is not clearly defined," he said. "What I might think and what he might think might be different things. I was surprised that [Profar] ran with the score the way it was, when he did. And getting hit there was something that Banister felt wasn't appropriate."

----------------

Molitor took exception to a stolen base in the 4th inning? Really? 

I read that as "The game was out of hand and we'd given up so, why are you rubbing it in?"

That's an astounding mindset by the manager of the Twins.

edit: Ninjad. I see Jerr pretty much said the same thing.

Edited by Blake

The game ended with the tying run at the plate. I think a fourth inning steal was perfecly appropriate. What if (and I know this is far fetched) Morrison had hit a homerun? An extra run by the Rangers in the fourth inning would have been pivotal. Molitor probably spouted off because his own team barely understands which way to circle the bases.

ended game winning run at the plate. Profar was absolutely right to steal.

Shame on Molitor.... he needs to learn how to play the game the right way. Clearly he’s forgotten.

For one thing, the Twins didn't "try to dial him up three times," Bannister. The first two were clearly unintentional.

In fact, the second was nearly a strike, but Profar hung his arm out and got clipped.

Good for Molly and the Twins, if in fact there actually was intent with the third HBP.

Profar was hustling and doing his job. If I am the umpire, Molitor gets tossed and warned the following day. You don't have a right to hit a batter, just because he is doing his job.That's bush league and went out of style years ago  

For one thing, the Twins didn't "try to dial him up three times," Bannister. The first two were clearly unintentional.

In fact, the second was nearly a strike, but Profar hung his arm out and got clipped.

Good for Molly and the Twins, if in fact there actually was intent with the third HBP.

What is Bannister supposed to say?  His player was hit three times.  Whether or not the first two were intentional doesn't matter to him.  So from his perspective, as a manager, I don't mind what he said.

I have problem with what Molitor is insinuating.  Does he really expect players to dial down the effort in the fourth inning of a baseball game?  The guy was hit for a second time and he stole a base.  This is bad baseball?

Don't miss the forest for the trees.  We are watching a bland team (with the exception of Rosario and Escobar) and Molitor's reaction to what Profar did sums this version of our Twins up perfectly.  

We are coming from the same place, but you nailed it.  No wonder this team is bland and lifeless.  It flows down from the manager who doesn't expect his players to show passion, energy and play with 110%

Instead we have players who are "not trying to do too much"

The third was clearly intentional. He took 3 shots at him before finally hitting him. 

The reasoning for the action was flawed because it was the 4th inning... but if the flawed reasoning provided much needed inspiration for a lost and drifting club... then I'm not losing a minutes sleep over it.

If sacrificing a live goat gets these guys inspired to play some baseball... I'll provide the goat and not question the reasoning. 

On the other hand... I find it concerning that the opponent continuing to play hard is what offended them. 

What is Bannister supposed to say?  His player was hit three times.  Whether or not the first two were intentional doesn't matter to him.  So from his perspective, as a manager, I don't mind what he said.

I have problem with what Molitor is insinuating.  Does he really expect players to dial down the effort in the fourth inning of a baseball game?  The guy was hit for a second time and he stole a base.  This is bad baseball?

Don't miss the forest for the trees.  We are watching a bland team (with the exception of Rosario and Escobar) and Molitor's reaction to what Profar did sums this version of our Twins up perfectly.  

I think it's goofy that the winning manager is the one who has to know when to pump the brakes. 

Make it a formal surrender from the manager of the trailing team. Make Molitor declare formally that we are down by the 7 runs in the 4th inning... we would like to give up now.

He can signify this formal surrender by benching his two top players (Escobar and Rosario) and then Bannister can respectfully accept his side arm and keep his runners from advancing extra bases or sliding too hard. 

On the other hand... I find it concerning that the opponent continuing to play hard is what offended them. 

Welcome to the root of the absurdity!  How dare you play baseball in a baseball game!

Molitor didn't seem particularly convicted in his assessment of the situation, I'm not sure if this is on him or not.  If it is - stupid.  If it's player driven - stupid.  

Welcome to the root of the absurdity!  How dare you play baseball in a baseball game!

Molitor didn't seem particularly convicted in his assessment of the situation, I'm not sure if this is on him or not.  If it is - stupid.  If it's player driven - stupid.  

I was coaching 15 year old's and my team was down something like 10-0 and the other team had a runner on third and my pitcher delivered a wild pitch. 

The kid on third started to break for the plate and the coach yelled out "No-No-No" and held up the stop sign and the kid returned to third confused. 

I called time and walked over to the coach and said... "Hey, I appreciate that but I just got done telling my guys to forget the scoreboard. I told them the score is 0-0 and I want you to win the rest of the game. Please don't stop playing baseball on our account because we won't be".

So, the coach allowed his team to play ball like I requested. The game ended up being kinda interesting if you took away the 10 runs we spotted them. I was proud of the kids. 

After the game, one of our parents who had no idea what was said between us was waiting in the parking lot to tell (scream at) (intimidate) the other coach exactly how classless he was and that ended up being the embarrassing part. 

After the game, one of our parents who had no idea what was said between us was waiting in the parking lot to tell (scream at) (intimidate) the other coach exactly how classless he was and that ended up being the embarrassing part.

And I’ve apologized for that MANY times already! Geez!!

I fully support Profar's efforts to steal a base at that point. These unwritten rules frequently come off as so juvenile that I can't help but roll my eyes. Hey, it's baseball: the game ain't over till it's over. Play hard all nine innings!

That's the Twins attitude, that's why they have been losing games. They don't play hard every at bat like other teams do.

I've lost all respect for the Twins. All.

I won't go that far but it seems like every time they stand up for the unwritten rules of the game it is in direct conflict to how I think the game should be played.   I'll say its embarrassing.    I've lost a bit of respect for Dozier and Molitor.    They are just wrong.

I guess that Molitor forgot the biggest unwritten rule of the game:  If your team goes belly up and certain of your players are not hustling, you better sit them down and let them ride pine until they decide to hustle.  Buddies or not.  He lives in a glass house.  Unless he starts taking care of his own, he has no right pointing fingers at others'...

'Bout time to retire.

Edited by Thrylos

Somone forgot that the last week of May the Twins were behind 8-0 after 4 against Cleveland and 9-0 after 2 against KC, and almost won both games.

It's one thing if you steal with those kind of scores in the 8th or 9th, it's different if it's before then.

Edited by VATwinsFan