Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Twins Give Darvish a Formal Offer

Brandon

When I hear “4 or 5 years” I interpret that as meaning 4 guaranteed years and a vesting option for a 5th. Doogie also seemed to imply the yearly value was in the $20-22 million range. He was projected to get 6 years and $160 million by mlbtraderumors and the Twins could be offering 4 years and $80 million. This is a lowball offer if true.

When I hear “4 or 5 years” I interpret that as meaning 4 guaranteed years and a vesting option for a 5th. Doogie also seemed to imply the yearly value was in the $20-22 million range. He was projected to get 6 years and $160 million by mlbtraderumors and the Twins could be offering 4 years and $80 million. This is a lowball offer if true.

That would be sad considering he has reportedly received multiple 5 year offers for over $100 M. 

To me the most interesting part of the report was that the Twins are apparently only looking to fill one rotation spot. 

Good to see they have a real offer out to him, hopefully it is serious and competitive.  I think they should sign him or one of the other top four no matter what else they do. 

In the mlbtraderumors piece about it they mention still active talks with the Rays about a trade, and that the Rays really like Kepler.

What does a Kepler centric trade look like for a Rays pitcher?

Kepler for Odirizzi straight up?

Kepler/ Gordon/ Romero or Gonsalvez/ +? for Archer?

Edited by RaoulDuke

Yes, that is criminal.

Not really. This is actually the year that the Twins have prospects in AAA with some real potential and the reality is that any 10-30M signing probably isn't much better than Gibson or Mejia. Take care of the front of the rotation problem.

Not saying that I am against adding two pitchers like Archer/Darvish but one might be more than we can hope for.

Good to see they have a real offer out to him, hopefully it is serious and competitive.  I think they should sign him or one of the other top four no matter what else they do. 

In the mlbtraderumors piece about it they mention still active talks with the Rays about a trade, and that the Rays really like Kepler.

Trading Kepler (which I wouldn't be against) puts a hole in the outfield, which means it would also be a must to get a right fielder, adding Odorizzi and inserting Granite into a starting position I don't believe is better than keeping Kepler.

I would do your trade for Archer, I would hate to trade Romero or Gonzo before knowing what they really are, but that is probably the cost.

Trading Kepler (which I wouldn't be against) puts a hole in the outfield, which means it would also be a must to get a right fielder, adding Odorizzi and inserting Granite into a starting position I don't believe is better than keeping Kepler.

I would do your trade for Archer, I would hate to trade Romero or Gonzo before knowing what they really are, but that is probably the cost.

That's easy. The price of JD Martinez is dropping. Boston apparently out. Zona low balling. JD considering shorter deals.

I cringed when I saw Kepler's name in that article. Of the "non-elite" guys in the org, I think he's the one that they'd most regret moving down the line.

The games in April count as much as the games in September. Offer Darvish 6 yrs at $125. Trade Rosario, Gordon and Littel (19-1) for Archer. Pencil in Granite in LF. That young OF would be the best defensive OF in the majors.

I don't think that would be enough to get Archer. But if it was, I wouldn't even have to think about it before pulling the trigger, from the Twins side.