Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Glen Perkins appreciation thread

DaveW

Very real chance that Perkins pitched his last game tonight, not just for the Twins but in pro baseball.

Class act, all the way,one of my favorite Twins players and one of the best closers in a franchise that has had a lot of good ones.

It shows a lot of guts, drive and heart for him to work his way back this year, even if the results were less than stellar, I have to think him being even in the pen had to have been a great thing for a bullpen full of youngsters.

Started as a starter, and turned into an elite closer for many years, always great with the fans and always seemed to give it his all.

Thanks for the memories and thanks for always battling your tail off Glen! Looking fwd to his Twins hall of fame induction!

It seems there is a memory synapse during the period when he was pissing and moaning over relations with the team and chose to schedule a hunting trip during the special events around the final game at the Metrodome.

This isn't the thread you are looking for

It seems there is a memory synapse during the period when he was pissing and moaning over relations with the team and chose to schedule a hunting trip during the special events around the final game at the Metrodome.

Perkins last game as a Twin that year was in August.  The minor league season was over and he was not a September call up. There was no reason to be at the park.  Out hunting? What a great way to spend a fall day.

Agreed, and always appreciate his accessibility by the fans. Always approachable and kind. Very classy guy with the fans.

Even with his players association grievances, etc, he put that stuff behind him and came out to win every day. What a competitor!

Glen Perkins really stepped up during the years when the Twins desperately needed a closer, and did not have any power arms in the pipeline.  Really impressive how he figured things out in the bullpen after starter struggles.  I think he'll still get a chance to pitch next year if he wants.  Someone will at least give him a ST non-roster invite.

I actually think it says a lot of Perkins that he had a stormy patch with the organization and did not let his ego get in the way and not only worked things out, but ended up being a big part of the team for a number of years afterwards.  I did enjoy his interviews, since he was not quite as guarded and cliched as the typical athlete.

It is too bad he could not have lasted a couple of more years and been a more active part of this season (and hopefully an even better next season).  I thought it was interesting he said this is the closest team he has been on in 12 years - hopefully that will continue to next season as well..

One of the best memories of the Target Field All Star Game was Perk closing it out.

First round draft pick, Golden Gophers star, Minnesota born and bred. Glen Perkins had an excellent pro career, working his way quickly through the minors, he was a good starter, but really hit his stride as an elite closer. At his best, Perkins was almost un-hittable. He could paint all four corners with a mid- to upper-90's fastball, and his wipe-out slider had righties flailing as the ball just missed their back foot. He would also mix in a surprising slow curve that he could hang on the left edge of the zone, and occasionally would toss a change low in the box. How many times did I grin as a batter with two strikes watched that slow curve..."That's way off the -- oh shoot!"

Almost nobody comes back from a torn labrum, but Perkins managed to get pretty close. He could still bring the heat around 87 to 89, and there was still respectable bend on his slider. If he worked his tail off this winter, he might get back a few more mph, but he'd still be competing with fresh-armed 24-year olds that throw mid-90's all day. Yeah, it's probably time to do something else. Less weight lifting, more ice fishing. 

I salute you, Glen Perkins. You made your home state proud with an excellent career in pro baseball. You created countless fond memories, struck out the best hitters in the sport, entertained generations of people with your high level of skill. You thoroughly deserve to be in the Minnesota Twins Hall of Fame.

Edited by jimbo92107

I'm almost more impressed with his ability to make it back to the majors after his torn labrum, as I was with his elite closer play from 2012-2015.  That back foot slider coupled with his fastball was dominate when he was healthy.

Thanks Perk.  You were a shred of light in a pit of darkness from 2011-2016.  If that was it, enjoy the post baseball life.

Edited by Puckett34

Minnesota born and bred, a University of Minnesota star. Like many pitchers, wanted to be a top-flight starter and struggled. Then reality hit when passed thru waivers and off the 40-man, only to reinvent himself not just as a left-handed bullpen arm but a closer to boot. Shows the true ups and downs a player can have in this game, as well as strained relations with a front office or field staff and glory days on the mound and then an injury which keeps you from playing even longer the game you love. Hope he moves into the organization in some capacity for years to come.

Kudos to him to work hard enough and love the game enough to fight back and be a part of the team one more time, even in a limited role.

He was an outstanding player for us, and a quality stand up day who didn't shy away from interviews, responsibility or stating the truth about things. He will be missed and should always be appreciated for his contributions over the years. I hope his post ML career and life is just as successful!

I have a friend who was very much not into baseball and from Chicago to boot. Over the years, I've gotten him into the Twins, and as I recall, it was seeing Perk come into a close game with "God's Gonna Cut You Down" filling the stadium that was the moment that he really started to "get it."

If Perkins is riding off into the sunset, I hope he knows what kind of effect he had on the Twins, and how much we appreciate it.

Signed a couple of TTM for me back in the day.  He was a fun player to watch when he was in the pen.  Shows what hard work will do for you.  The ability to adapt and change his mentality and role on the team is what being a professional is all about.  Seemed to always be a team player and a good guy in the community.  Hopefully he gets into coaching.  Good luck, Glen!