• Create Account

Game Thread: Twins v Cleveland, 8/16 @ 7:10pm CT

diehardtwinsfan

I have a confession to make. It’s a rather serious confession and one that is not easy to say… I grew up in Cleveland. Now before you disparage me, please understand that this was not my choice. My parents up and moved from Owatonna, MN to Cleveland and forced me into a childhood surrounded by Indians fans. Cleveland baseball fans might be the worst, I might add, and are not deserving of a professional baseball team as the definition of fair-weather fans shows a picture of an Indians fan. They are about as loyal as a cat. This is not to be confused with a Browns fan, as those are the definition of loyalty.

Things to think about:

1) Songs – Cleveland has a few songs of note. Minnesota does not (unless you count this song which I would soon forget). Most of us know the song Cleveland Rocks, even though it doesn’t, but my favorite Cleveland song might be this one, which serves as a permanent reminder of my next thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4lKFE3MV-Q

2) Rivers – The theme behind ‘Burn On Big River’ is a historical one. It is about the Cuyahoga River, which burned out of control… multiple times. Apparently, the 1952 river fire wasn’t enough to cement Cleveland in the world record book. It was deemed necessary to set it on fire again in 1969. This led to several environmental acts. It also played a large part in the creation of the EPA.

3) Movies – One cannot think of Cleveland without thinking of some movies, especially on a baseball site given that very few people would deny Cleveland’s role in one of the best baseball movies ever made. Strangely enough, Cleveland and Minnesota are very well represented in baseball movies (more so than most teams), with the Indians being featured in Major League and Major League II. The Twins were featured in Major League III and Little Big League, the latter of which is the reason so many on Twins Daily are convinced they can do a better job managing a team than most baseball executives. After all, it is part of Minnesota DNA to want to own and operate a professional baseball team. Strangely enough, Major League was not filmed in Cleveland. It was filmed in Milwaukee, which apparently better approximated Cleveland than Cleveland itself. Movies are a bit weird in that way, as Cleveland was the location of one of the most famous movies of all time featuring this guy:

post-406-0-67548500-1502882042.jpg

Set in Northern Indiana town near Chicago, a Christmas Story was filmed in Cleveland. The exact reason is unknown to this date, with theories ranging from Cleveland looking more Chicagoee than Chicago or the director taking a wrong turn and figuring it out five hours later. Regardless, we will always remember Cleveland for Red Rider BB guns, the "soft glow of electric sex", and the phrase “You’ll shoot your eye out.”

4) That leads us to History – Today is a dull day in history. The most notable event was the discovery of gold in the Yukon in 1896, spurring the last great gold rush. Baseball great Babe Ruth also died on this day in 1948, as did singer Elvis Pressley in 1977. Not to be confused with birth, singer Madonna was born on this day in 1958, and in a strange twist of fate, I happen to have met her parents, who own this winery in Northern Michigan.

5) Breweries – I’ve been bashing Cleveland, but it is home to Great Lakes Brewing Company, which is situated very close to the stadium, so if you’re in the market to enjoy a good micro-brew after a Twins victory in Cleveland, then make your way over there. While you are at it, try their tater tots, which are about the size of your fist.

Lineups TBD

Whether you liked this thread or hated it, I’d like to propose a game to keep things interesting. Simply put, respond to posters with famous quotes from baseball movies that fit the context of the original quote. Winners will receive likes from a few world famous TD moderators and the grand prize winner will receive a lot of likes. Go Twins.

Cleveland baseball fans might be the worst, I might add, and are not deserving of a professional baseball team as the definition of fair-weather fans shows a picture of an Indians fan.

Harry Doyle:  "Hello, Tribe fans, welcome to Major League Baseball... sort of. The attendance today is 14 hundred and 12. Most of them left after that 10 run inning the Red Sox put up. Take over Monty, I'm in the bag."

I have a confession to make. It’s a rather serious confession and one that is not easy to say… I grew up in Cleveland. Now before you disparage me, please understand that this was not my choice. My parents up and moved from Owatonna, MN to Cleveland and forced me into a childhood surrounded by Indians fans. Cleveland baseball fans might be the worst, I might add, and are not deserving of a professional baseball team as the definition of fair-weather fans shows a picture of an Indians fan. They are about as loyal as a cat. This is not to be confused with a Browns fan, as those are the definition of loyalty.

Things to think about:

1) Songs – Cleveland has a few songs of note. Minnesota does not (unless you count this song which I would soon forget). Most of us know the song Cleveland Rocks, even though it doesn’t, but my favorite Cleveland song might be this one, which serves as a permanent reminder of my next thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4lKFE3MV-Q

2) Rivers – The theme behind ‘Burn On Big River’ is a historical one. It is about the Cuyahoga River, which burned out of control… multiple times. Apparently, the 1952 river fire wasn’t enough to cement Cleveland in the world record book. It was deemed necessary to set it on fire again in 1969. This led to several environmental acts. It also played a large part in the creation of the EPA.

3) Movies – One cannot think of Cleveland without thinking of some movies, especially on a baseball site given that very few people would deny Cleveland’s role in one of the best baseball movies ever made. Strangely enough, Cleveland and Minnesota are very well represented in baseball movies (more so than most teams), with the Indians being featured in Major League and Major League II. The Twins were featured in Major League III and Little Big League, the latter of which is the reason so many on Twins Daily are convinced they can do a better job managing a team than most baseball executives. After all, it is part of Minnesota DNA to want to own and operate a professional baseball team. Strangely enough, Major League was not filmed in Cleveland. It was filmed in Milwaukee, which apparently better approximated Cleveland than Cleveland itself. Movies are a bit weird in that way, as Cleveland was the location of one of the most famous movies of all time featuring this guy:

christmas story.jpg

Set in Northern Indiana town near Chicago, a Christmas Story was filmed in Cleveland. The exact reason is unknown to this date, with theories ranging from Cleveland looking more Chicagoee than Chicago or the director taking a wrong turn and figuring it out five hours later. Regardless, we will always remember Cleveland for Red Rider BB guns, the "soft glow of electric sex", and the phrase “You’ll shoot your eye out.”

4) That leads us to History – Today is a dull day in history. The most notable event was the discovery of gold in the Yukon in 1896, spurring the last great gold rush. Baseball great Babe Ruth also died on this day in 1948, as did singer Elvis Pressley in 1977. Not to be confused with birth, singer Madonna was born on this day in 1958, and in a strange twist of fate, I happen to have met her parents, who own this winery in Northern Michigan.

5) Breweries – I’ve been bashing Cleveland, but it is home to Great Lakes Brewing Company, which is situated very close to the stadium, so if you’re in the market to enjoy a good micro-brew after a Twins victory in Cleveland, then make your way over there. While you are at it, try their tater tots, which are about the size of your fist.

Lineups TBD

Whether you liked this thread or hated it, I’d like to propose a game to keep things interesting. Simply put, respond to posters with famous quotes from baseball movies that fit the context of the original quote. Winners will receive likes from a few world famous TD moderators and the grand prize winner will receive a lot of likes. Go Twins.

well done! So funny that "You're killing me Smalls!"

1) Songs – Cleveland has a few songs of note. Minnesota does not 

whoa whoa whoa whwhoa wwhoaa wwhoa whoa...

Just of the top of my head:

1. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk - love it or hate it, or whatever, it was a huge hit, and it's an homage to the 'Minneapolis Sound' of the 1980s. 

2. Tom Waits - Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis.  

3. Pretty much everything by Atmostphere (again, love it or hate it - I lean towards the latter). 

4. Lil Yachty - Minnesota - another huge, recent hit.

5. Bob Dylan - Girl from the North Country

6. Replacements - Skyway

I could keep going. 

1. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk - love it or hate it, or whatever, it was a huge hit, and it's an homage to the 'Minneapolis Sound' of the 1980s. 

3. Pretty much everything by Atmostphere (again, love it or hate it - I lean towards the latter). 

6. Replacements - Skyway

I could keep going. 

wha????

No mention of 

"The Biggest Ball Of Twine"  - Weird Al Yankovic

"What They Do In Minnesota"  - The Six Fat Dutchmen

6. Replacements - Skyway

I could keep going. 

Fortunately, for the rest of us, you didn't.

wha????

No mention of

"The Biggest Ball Of Twine" - Weird Al Yankovic

"What They Do In Minnesota" - The Six Fat Dutchmen

I have naturally heard of Weird Al, and Biggest Ball of Twine is an epic road trip saga that would have fit well in RB's road trip thread intro a ways back.

But i confess i feel culturally bereft only hearing about the 6 fat dutchmen last week. And this because a tuba i picked up whilst in Minnesota had some rumored connection with Christy Hengel, and i googled him. Fascinating to say the least, and i only hope someday to prove worthy of the tuba...

I have naturally heard of Weird Al, and Biggest Ball of Twine is an epic road trip saga that would have fit well in RB's road trip thread intro a ways back.

But i confess i feel culturally bereft only hearing about the 6 fat dutchmen last week. And this because a tuba i picked up whilst in Minnesota had some rumored connection with Christy Hengel, and i googled him. Fascinating to say the least, and i only hope someday to prove worthy of the tuba...

Here you go!

tuba

6. Replacements - Skyway

I could keep going. 

Here's my favorite song about Wisconsin.

Featured Video