• Create Account

I've always felt, and stated, that position by position a team can be built in many ways. A classic example was the Twins with Puckett in CF. At that time, there were very few CF who had that type of power and offensive ability. Most were leadoff types and defense first players. But having someone with that kind of production in CF, (or SS in the case of other teams), meant you could have a "lesser" offensive player at another position. So Mauer at 1B, playing great defense, and doing what he does offensively, is not necessarily a black hole.

All of that being said, Mauer back for 2019 is a long way from being determined. Now, he has rebounded some offensively this season. Can he maintain that for the rest of the season and in to and through 2018? Another year older and with a young family, will he simply decide it's time to walk away and spend more time with them? I'm not a betting man, but if I were, if lay money he retires after 2018 to be with his family and no longer deal with the seasonal grind and injuries.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure I get the hate for Sano at 3B. He's been very good over there. No need to move him anytime soon. This is coming from someone who saw him in A ball and thought he would never make it as a 3B.

1.) The Twins have a real organizational dearth of MLB ready DH/1B types. Vargas, Palka and Byung Ho all don't seem to be in the long-term plans of the Twins at this point. Vargas seems the most likel

I have little doubt that if Joe Mauer wants to keep playing in 2019, he will be with the Twins. And Twins fans should want that and applaud that.   Obviously they won't sign him to an extension. He's

"But having someone with that kind of production in CF, (or SS in the case of other teams), meant you could have a "lesser" offensive player at another position"

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all.  If you gain at one position, but give it back at another, you're no better than the other team.  You're back to average.

The object is to be better than the other teams.

"But having someone with that kind of production in CF, (or SS in the case of other teams), meant you could have a "lesser" offensive player at another position"

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all. If you gain at one position, but give it back at another, you're no better than the other team. You're back to average.

I'm not convinced that's been an objective of the Twins over the last ten years.

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all.  If you gain at one position, but give it back at another, you're no better than the other team.  You're back to average.

In theory, I agree with you. You always try to have at least an average player at every position, if not above average. It just doesn't always work that way. Very, very hard to have an all star or possible all star or above average player at every position. And I think we also have to examine and explore what above average means. Not necessarily by position. For example: Do most 1B posses power Mauer doesn't have? Absolutely! But does Joe offer AVG, OB, contact and defense better than the average 1B? I think it depends on context. And I'm not saying Mauer is or is not above average in this context. But what I am saying is, unless you can field a truly dynamic team at every position in the order, a team is built on various combinations of hitting, power, defense and speed. Guys fit in to a lineup based on these variables for what you hope is maximum output and outcome.

Personally, I think Mauer brings real value. But is his value enough to bring back? Now that we just don't know yet as thjs season isn't done yet, and we don't know what he will bring in 2019. One thing that frustrates me is his usage. I understand Molitor plugging him in to the 3 or 4 hole for professional experience, OB, contact, etc. But as Kepler, Buxton and Rosario continue to develop and improve, and especially if we find a true DH/1B/OF to add to the roster, Maker's role should be either in one of the top 2 spots in the order, or near the bottom to help keep an inning going or set up the top of the order.

My prediction? Mauer is still gone after 2018, not because he's inept, but due to age, a young family, various injuries over the years, etc, and it will be time for he and the Twins to move on.

I know I'm an annoying broken record, but I still like the idea of a true DH who can play in the field occasionally, preferably 1B, and re-sign Dozier, move him to 1B, (can still play 2B some days), and run with Gordon and Polanco in 2019 as your keystones combo.