Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Twins v Rangers, 7/3 @ 1:10pm CT

Squirrel

Well, that was quite a game yesterday. Fun, even. Really fun. Seventeen runs worth of fun. And against the best team in the American League. The worst beat the best 17-5. How many of us thought that it would have been more likely a score the other way around? There was another score out there yesterday, too ... the Angels beat the Red Sox 21-2! While it wasn't the worst beating the best, it was still a case of the bad beating the good. It's just plain fun to see. Ever since David beat Goliath, we love to celebrate the 'little guy' taking it to the 'big guy.' And it's even more fun to celebrate when your team is the 'little guy.' But that was yesterday and today is today.

So, what will today bring? No one knows. I started by checking into my At Bat app to see what they had to say in their preview. This is what I read about Hamels: Hamels is 4-0 with a 0.65 ERA in his last four starts after throwing seven scoreless innings in a win over the Yankees on Tuesday. 

Then I read this about Gibson: Gibson turned in his best outing of the season in his last start, tossing seven shoutout innings and striking out seven against the Yankees.

Well, no wonder both pitchers did so well ... the Yankees must've been playing a split squad game! Heh. Gibson's start was against the White Sox. Living in Chicago, it took less than seconds for my brain to know what was wrong there. When you live in Chicago you remember the wins against the ChiSox. And, being a Twins fan this year, you remember the wins because there aren't that many to remember.

Anyway, Hamels is going to be tough to beat if he keeps pitching as he has been, especially in his most recent starts. But if the game against the White Sox is an indicator that Gibson is tracking right, well, he could be tough to beat, too. And if the Twins continue their hitting from yesterday, and if the Rangers don't, well, we could have another win! 

If, if, if ... yes, spinowner, I know what your mother would say about ifs.

So, the moral of the story is, you just never know. So hope for a win, prepare for a loss, and enjoy the game!

Lineups:

RANGERS

Shin-Soo Choo (L) RF
Ian Desmond [R) CF
Nomar Mazara (L) LF
Adrian Beltre [R) 3B
Prince Fielder (L) DH
Rougned Odor (L) 2B
Elvis Andrus [R) SS
Mitch Moreland (L) 1B
Bobby Wilson [R) C

Cole Hamels (L) P

TWINS

Eduardo Nunez [R) SS
Joe Mauer (L) 1B
Miguel Sano [R) 3B
Brian Dozier [R) 2B
Robbie Grossman (S) DH
Max Kepler (L) RF
Kurt Suzuki [R) C
Eddie Rosario (L) LF
Danny Santana (S) CF

Kyle Gibson [R) P

Game-time forecast: Sunny, 22% cloudy, 47% humidity, 0% chance of rain, 76 deg F, winds at 9mph from the SE ... a pretty nice day for watching a baseball game ... if you are in the sun. It could be ... not as warm, maybe even chilly-ish for summer ... if sitting in the shade.

I really don't think putting Rosario in the lineup would be optimal. Fragile confidence maybe. And Hamels isn't the LHP you want to face when trying to jumpstart your LHH youngster. Hopefully he gets to pinch hit in the sixth after the Twins knock Hamels out.  :go:

Yeah ... I don't really either ... just wondering out loud ... since the lineup isn't up yet, what are they thinking?

Checking Escobar's hamstring. Also, Trevor May is back but will not be activated today since he pitched back-to-back days in rehab.

My favorite win against the whitesox was a game I got to attend at the cell.  Santana was masterful, but the Sox clawed back against the pen to take it into extras... don't remember who hit the game winning hit (think it was Bartlett), bit I oh so enjoyed that game...

I really don't think putting Rosario in the lineup would be optimal. Fragile confidence maybe. And Hamels isn't the LHP you want to face when trying to jumpstart your LHH youngster. Hopefully he gets to pinch hit in the sixth after the Twins knock Hamels out.  :go:

Yeah ... I don't really either ... just wondering out loud ... since the lineup isn't up yet, what are they thinking? 

Okay, then ... guess we were both ... wondering out loud not right ... 

Rosario in left.. and Danny Santana in CF. Um...what? The day after Buxton gets 2 hits, you sit him on the bench for Santana, who's under .100 against left handers? Sounds like a good plan to me.

I'm not doing a projectile sputum over Santana in center.  I don't get the other 2 parts.

Rosario just called up from MiLB and starting against Cole Hamel?

Buxton, after showing progress in at least making contact and a couple hits yesterday,   is sitting?

Featured Video