Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Cape Cod League

ashbury

I have a chance to go see a game in the Cape Cod League this holiday weekend. Has anyone here been, and got any tips to share?

I see that they don't charge admission to the games (though apparently they do take donations!), so does that imply the crowds are never an issue? Or does it pay to get there early and reserve a good seat? Are there typically concession stands, or do we need to plan to eat an early dinner before getting to the ballpark? (Probably going to Falmouth, in case that matters, or else somewhere else on the upper- or mid-cape.)

BTW, I married well. When we hatched the plan to do the 4th of July weekend on Cape Cod, I didn't think about a ballgame until just a couple of days ago. I asked Mrs Ash last night, "ever heard of the Cape Cod League?", and her eyes lit up and she said "we have to go!" :)

Good questions !

...I have no answers sorry to get your hopes up..

Conversely, I can answer any question under the sun, just so long as it's phrased in a form where "I don't know" makes sense in reply. :)

Had a great time Saturday night watching the Falmouth Commodores host the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox. If you're there for beer, you'll be disappointed, as there ain't any. But if you're there for baseball, you'll enjoy it. The local populace seems keen to support their team, and the small stands were full, plus lots of people in lawn chairs down the base lines. Very intimate setting - for instance you walk through the visitors' bullpen area to make your way to the impromptu seating in foul ground in left field, and could probably bug a college prospect to sign something for you if that's your thing.

The game was very crisply played. I didn't bring a scoresheet, so this will have to be mostly from memory as to the highlights. Baby faced Brady Singer (UofFL) impressed with good stuff that induced weak, if any, contact. And he showed good poise in wriggling out of a jam caused by a lucky opposite field double down the line; all in all, he justified the Blue Jays picking him with the 56th overall choice last year, though they failed to sign him.

The home team held on to a 1-0 lead into the seventh, on a long home run by Oregon State's Trevor Larnach. But Y-D broke through with a run against John Sparks (Austin Peay). Fireballer Brac Warren shut down Y-D in the eighth, but weakened in the ninth, and righty sidearm reliever Stephen Villnes (UKansas) was put into a tough spot by his manager when brought in to face a good lefty. Two runs ended up scoring and Warren took the loss, a bit unfairly.

I was totally impressed by the crowd during the slow final inning or two. There was normal background conversation, but a large percentage were paying attention to the game, and it wasn't just the pro scouts. No piped in music, or sound effect, no dizzy bat or mascot races between innings (though two mascots were milling around amongst the fans to keep the children occupied), just straight up baseball on the field. And this, in a reputed pitchers' league, where you can't count on offensive fireworks to keep the crowd focused on the field.

It's priced right, too. Free admission, though there is a donations jar if you feel like throwing a few bucks in. Concessions are available, hot dogs and burgers on a grill behind the stands, and so forth. Did I mention no beer?

Me likey. Probably will take Ashburydavid to a game in a different league locale, when he comes to visit later this summer.

Here endeth the road trip report.

Had a great time Saturday night watching the Falmouth Commodores host the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox. If you're there for beer, you'll be disappointed, as there ain't any. But if you're there for baseball, you'll enjoy it. The local populace seems keen to support their team, and the small stands were full, plus lots of people in lawn chairs down the base lines. Very intimate setting - for instance you walk through the visitors' bullpen area to make your way to the impromptu seating in foul ground in left field, and could probably bug a college prospect to sign something for you if that's your thing.

The game was very crisply played. I didn't bring a scoresheet, so this will have to be mostly from memory as to the highlights. Baby faced Brady Singer (UofFL) impressed with good stuff that induced weak, if any, contact. And he showed good poise in wriggling out of a jam caused by a lucky opposite field double down the line; all in all, he justified the Blue Jays picking him with the 56th overall choice last year, though they failed to sign him.

The home team held on to a 1-0 lead into the seventh, on a long home run by Oregon State's Trevor Larnach. But Y-D broke through with a run against John Sparks (Austin Peay). Fireballer Brac Warren shut down Y-D in the eighth, but weakened in the ninth, and righty sidearm reliever Stephen Villnes (UKansas) was put into a tough spot by his manager when brought in to face a good lefty. Two runs ended up scoring and Warren took the loss, a bit unfairly.

I was totally impressed by the crowd during the slow final inning or two. There was normal background conversation, but a large percentage were paying attention to the game, and it wasn't just the pro scouts. No piped in music, or sound effect, no dizzy bat or mascot races between innings (though two mascots were milling around amongst the fans to keep the children occupied), just straight up baseball on the field. And this, in a reputed pitchers' league, where you can't count on offensive fireworks to keep the crowd focused on the field.

It's priced right, too. Free admission, though there is a donations jar if you feel like throwing a few bucks in. Concessions are available, hot dogs and burgers on a grill behind the stands, and so forth. Did I mention no beer?

Me likey. Probably will take Ashburydavid to a game in a different league locale, when he comes to visit later this summer.

Here endeth the road trip report.

Thanks for posting this. Sounds like a good experience.

I just went to a LaCrosse Loggers game in the Northwoods League and let's just say they sell beer at those games. Apparently they have a promotion called the beer batter where if one of the guys on the other team strikes out you get free beer (yes, it was a small beer). So when this happened about half of the stadium left to go to the concession stand and as he was walking by me a guy yelled at the batter returning to the dugout, "Thanks for the beer, 44!" All I could think was, "This is SO Wisconsin."  :)

I have been to a few games in the Northwoods League too - would definitely recommend it. The ballpark in LaCrosse is right on the river, free parking, great brats and really cute log cabin type suites in the outfield. 

I just went to a LaCrosse Loggers game in the Northwoods League and let's just say they sell beer at those games. Apparently they have a promotion called the beer batter where if one of the guys on the other team strikes out you get free beer (yes, it was a small beer). So when this happened about half of the stadium left to go to the concession stand and as he was walking by me a guy yelled at the batter returning to the dugout, "Thanks for the beer, 44!" All I could think was, "This is SO Wisconsin."  :)

I'm afraid Reno may be seeking annexation by Wisconsin because that promotion also was done at the Aces game I attended in June.

Wish I saw this before.  It brings me way back in memory lane when I used to spend summers working at the Woods Hole lab and making the 10 minute drive to Falmouth for baseball :) 

Re: beer.  Cooler.  And ice.  It is kosher to pic nic at the ballpark. 

The ones who do not drink there are scouts ;)