Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Arcia tonight

I don't really think he's earned more than the spot starts he's getting.  When he was playing every day for a while, he fell off of a cliff rather quickly.  

Plus, they need to see what Kepler can do.  

Problem is that Arcia should be getting his chance too, and he hasn't.  I think Molitor should be able to find room for Buxton, Arcia, Kepler, Grossman, and Park between 5 positions. 

I don't like that Arcia continues to ride more pine than he should.  yeah, he hasn't been stellar, but when he's had consistent PT he's been decent enough to warrant a closer look.  Bottom line is that the Twins need to look closer at him, which means he needs to play. 

Problem is that Arcia should be getting his chance too, and he hasn't.  I think Molitor should be able to find room for Buxton, Arcia, Kepler, Grossman, and Park between 5 positions. 

I don't like that Arcia continues to ride more pine than he should.  yeah, he hasn't been stellar, but when he's had consistent PT he's been decent enough to warrant a closer look.  Bottom line is that the Twins need to look closer at him, which means he needs to play. 

Once a week isn't even backup type PT, so I can agree with you there.  But I think he's had a pretty good opportunity over the years and he's not taken advantage of it.  That theme continued into this year.  He's incredibly streaky and still shows poor plate discipline with no signs of improvement.

But I do think he should be getting two starts a week.  At this point, Molitor or the FO are prioritizing Kepler's PT to aid his development.  Personally, I'd rather see that route taken.  But there isn't much reason not to rotate him in at DH more.  Park hasn't earned anything either.

Edited by wsnydes

It really shouldn't be that hard to balance the playing time between Park, Buxton, Arcia, Kepler, and Grossman more than what Molly's doing.

Whether it's an Arcia/Park Platoon at DH, or rotating the 4 OFs so they all play 75-80% of the games. Just throwing it out there.

As far as Park goes, do you think he is just going through a tough adjustment patch or that MLB pitchers have picked up on his weaknesses and are blasting him?

No different from any other rookie.  Some come in and light it up right away, others don't.  Too early to really worry much.

As far as Park goes, do you think he is just going through a tough adjustment patch or that MLB pitchers have picked up on his weaknesses and are blasting him?

I think I heard this in the Gleeman and the Geek podcast, and someone else may correct me if I'm wrong. I thought I heard that all of Park's HRs have come from off-speed pitches, and has a very bad average against fast balls.

Could be that he's just not catching up to the heat and pitchers realize this.

I think I heard this in the Gleeman and the Geek podcast, and someone else may correct me if I'm wrong. I thought I heard that all of Park's HRs have come from off-speed pitches, and has a very bad average against fast balls.

Could be that he's just not catching up to the heat and pitchers realize this.

I think one was at 90, I know one was at 74. But yes all have been cookies. Frankly I think he is a total guess hitter. That's why so many half swings, and totally awkward ones. But when he guesses right, and it's soft, he can pound it.

Robbie is Robbie! You can throw him out there two weeks from now and he will be what he always has been. An averag 4th OF, average glove, weak arm, and the luxury of a SH. Arcia on the other hand needs to be figured out, good or bad. They have 6 weeks to see what they have or don't. Chosing to play Grossman over Kepler, which is what I read into this thread would be nuts. I know Molitor is desperate for wins, he managed last night like a game 163. You do that every night, and you won't have even a poor pitching staff left in two weeks!

Get ready for a change.  They've decided that Kepler isn't "ready" yet.  He will be sent down soon in favor of either Rosario or .... Logan Schaefer. The logic will be that Kepler needs to play every day and isn't ready to do that in MLB and they want Arcia to play every day. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but I do think it's going to happen. 

This had better not be the case. I think the Twins realize that Kepler has faced an unusually high number of lefties so far when he's gotten a chance to start.

I suppose since he had two doubles yesterday now given one was a gift but i would suspect molitor lets him ride pine for another two weeks

Sorry Bubba, Arcia is in tonight's lineup.

Don't ask about the Bubba thing.  I lived in a place where everyone got called Bubba.

Edited by HitInAPinch

This had better not be the case. I think the Twins realize that Kepler has faced an unusually high number of lefties so far when he's gotten a chance to start.

I like Kepler a lot and I think he will bring gap power and OBP from the left side, but I don't think he's quite ready. What's he had, like 100 AAA PAs? Danny Santana should be ready soon, so I don't think it'll be Rosario or Schaefer coming up.

What 5 positions are you talking about?  Really only 4 to rotate them through.  Should be pretty easy to do though.  Give each guy 1 day off per week

Get ready for a change.  They've decided that Kepler isn't "ready" yet.  He will be sent down soon in favor of either Rosario or .... Logan Schaefer. The logic will be that Kepler needs to play every day and isn't ready to do that in MLB and they want Arcia to play every day. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but I do think it's going to happen. 

Don't forget that Mastroianni is nearing a return off the DL, not to mention that Santana will be back sooner than later. It wouldn't make any sense to add Schafer to the roster and Rosario is not ready to come back yet.

I like Kepler as a prospect and think he has a great future, but I would not be playing him over Arcia right now. Kepler needs AAA at bats and a full season in Rochester will do him no harm.

The Twins need to figure out once and for all what they have in Arcia. I think given his struggles last year that people forget what a stellar MiLB career Arcia had, outperforming anything that Kepler has achieved to date (and at a similar age).  He's got a career OPS+ of 102 as a 25 year old with sporadic playing time. Let the guy hit.

Both.   They are just pounding the heck out of him inside so he can't get extended, then burying sliders in the dirt to get swings.  I can see him pulling his hands in some lately, and I think he'll come around a bit.

I suppose since he had two doubles yesterday now given one was a gift but i would suspect molitor lets him ride pine for another two weeks

It's just another of that ever-increasing string of decisions Molly makes that simply defy logic or explanation.  I'm not going to get into more of 'em here, but my God, he's out of options, so either play him or cut him, but surely don't do whatever the heck the manager is doing these days.  It's beyond ridiculous.

I made this point in another thread, that Arcia is on the top step, and the first one in line to greet a HR hitter or run scorer, or pitcher being replaced.  He looks like one hell of a teammate.  

The way he's handled prospects, and his head-scratching lineups and game decisions are so glaringly bad.  Molly needs to go.  Now.

I like Kepler as a prospect and think he has a great future, but I would not be playing him over Arcia right now. Kepler needs AAA at bats and a full season in Rochester will do him no harm.

The Twins need to figure out once and for all what they have in Arcia. I think given his struggles last year that people forget what a stellar MiLB career Arcia had, outperforming anything that Kepler has achieved to date (and at a similar age).  He's got a career OPS+ of 102 as a 25 year old with sporadic playing time. Let the guy hit.

Maybe he needs more AAA AB's, but when he's on the MLB roster, he should be in the lineup almost every day.