• Create Account

Glen Perkins to the DL pool

gmarais66

There is obviously something wrong with Glen Perkins. Here's a guy, who in the recent past, was hitting mid to high 90s on his fastball. Throughout spring training and during his two regular season outings, he's struggling to get his fastball in the 90s. This is usually the sign of a significant arm problem. Who wants to place their bets on how long it takes for Perkins to end up on the DL? I'm going to say that by April 20, he'll be on the DL..

There is obviously something wrong with Glen Perkins. Here's a guy, who in the recent past, was hitting mid to high 90s on his fastball. Throughout spring training and during his two regular season outings, he's struggling to get his fastball in the 90s. This is usually the sign of a significant arm problem. Who wants to place their bets on how long it takes for Perkins to end up on the DL? I'm going to say that by April 20, he'll be on the DL..

I'll take the over on that date but the under on mid May.

I'll take the over on that date but the under on mid May.

I think it will be sooner, rather than later, because there will have to be a limit on how many horrible outings Molitor can stomach, before he makes a change. I don't think his leash will be as long as what Gardy typically had in these types of situations.

Edited by gmarais66

How do we not know that it's just age related? He's 33. Fastball velocity is one of the first things to go. That's usually a death knell to a reliever that usually only has one or two quality pitches. Let's put it into perspective: There are 13 pitchers in the majors that saved over 100 games between 2012 and 2015. Only 4 were older than Perkins (Rodney, Papelbon, Soriano, and Nathan.) Of those four, just one, Papelbon, is still a closer, but he pitches on one of the worst teams in baseball and the closest in age to Perkins. Soriano is retired, Nathan's career is effectively over and Rodney has been demoted to set-up man. Comparing him to Papelbon, you'll see that he also had a fairly significant drop in FB velocity between his age 30 and 33 seasons. And other than Perkins only 3 (Chapman, Jansen, and Holland) pitched on the same team all four seasons. 

I'm not saying Perkins is done, but at this point that's a fairly safe bet. 

Edited by d-mac

I'm with d-mac and chalking this up to Perkins getting older. There wasn't even a subtle hint all off-season/ST that Perkins was dealing with anything arm-related.. Seems like a pretty steady regression in velocity to me. He was hurling 97 MPH 3 years ago, 95 MPH 2 years ago, 92 MPH last year, now 90. He needs to adjust and start painting corners instead of blowing people away with fastballs.

I think this is his last season being the closer, and either Burdi, Chargois, or May takes over the role by mid-season.

Unless we artificially lower the bar, the closer's job is to be a high strike-out guy, or failing that, to generate weak contact and generally demoralize the other team.

For Perkins, right now, he demoralizes our team and our fans.  I turned to my wife on Sunday and said:  This is where the Twins season goes off the rails.

Sure enough, he found a way to lose the lead.  That kind of thing, when you are hanging by a thread, there should be no patience for it.  I'd rather lose with a rookie than watching Perkins stumble around. 

His fastball is a joke.  The slider,  as a hitter, you take it.  It's rarely in the zone.  

There is no path forward here for the Twins.  None.

This could get ugly.  I think he's on a relatively short leash, but Jepson has struggled as well so far.  May has been imploding also and can't seem to control his emotions out there.  On the bright side, if they only score 1-2 runs per game there won't be enough save opportunities to matter.  

Of those four, just one, Papelbon, is still a closer, but he pitches on one of the worst teams in baseball and the closest in age to Perkins.

Nitpicking a little, but Papelbon is on the Nationals now who are still pretty good. I definitely agree with your overall point. It's why the I think Twins really should have tried to get maximum value by trading Perkins when they were terrible. Most closers don't stay as elite closers for long.

According to Rotoworld:

Twins placed LHP Glen Perkins on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain.
The severity of the injury is unclear at this time. Perkins blew a save in his first opportunity of the season last Sunday against the Royals, yielding two runs on three hits in a 4-3 loss. Kevin Jepsen figures to fill in at closer for the Twins over the next few weeks, and perhaps much longer than that.

Twins recalled LHP Taylor Rogers from Triple-A Rochester.
Rogers will give the Twins some much-needed bullpen depth while closer Glen Perkins recovers from a shoulder strain. Rogers, 25, posted a 3.98 ERA and 126/44 K/BB ratio over 174 innings last year at Triple-A.

This happened a bit earlier than I expected, but Glen was going to have to land on the DL at some point. Now the Twins have to rely on the slumping Jepsen and May in late inning games... plus, I'm not sure if Taylor Rogers is ready yet. I saw him in a couple Spring Training games and he got hit pretty hard.

Edited by Danchat