Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Byung Ho Park is good

jimbo92107

Byung Ho Park is looking more and more like a really good baseball player, not just a big guy that swings for the seats. He appears to be a very solid first baseman, actually looks more natural there than Joe Mauer does. If for some reason Mauer couldn't go for a while, I'd be very comfortable with Park at 1B, then Sano DH and Arcia RF. 

As others have mentioned, it was a pleasant surprise to see Park adapting to the extra few MPH on the heaters from major league pitchers this spring. The sweep of his bat stays in the hitting zone a long time, so he's going to get a lot of fat contact. With that nice uppercut finish, he could jack quite a few dingers. 

So, if Park is hitting for serious power while Mauer is banging singles, at what point do the Twins consider a change? This would allow Sano to do more DH while Arcia plays RH, with his power lefty bat. Boom, boom, boom. 

Joe Mauer played in 158 games last year. That is unlikely to happen again; first because that's a lot of games for any player. But second, it's quite likely that the Twins aren't a worse team when Joe isn't in the lineup, or at the very least, they aren't significantly worse.

So yeah, I think there will be several games this season that Park will man 1B, and Joe will either DH or take the day off.

Byung Ho Park is looking more and more like a really good baseball player, not just a big guy that swings for the seats. He appears to be a very solid first baseman, actually looks more natural there than Joe Mauer does. If for some reason Mauer couldn't go for a while, I'd be very comfortable with Park at 1B, then Sano DH and Arcia RF. 

As others have mentioned, it was a pleasant surprise to see Park adapting to the extra few MPH on the heaters from major league pitchers this spring. The sweep of his bat stays in the hitting zone a long time, so he's going to get a lot of fat contact. With that nice uppercut finish, he could jack quite a few dingers. 

So, if Park is hitting for serious power while Mauer is banging singles, at what point do the Twins consider a change? This would allow Sano to do more DH while Arcia plays RH, with his power lefty bat. Boom, boom, boom. 

For someone who has watched disappointingly few spring innings, this is very nice to hear. Let's hope this carries over to the real thing.

I can't see Arcia taking at bats away from Mauer. For one thing, i think Mauer outperforms him significantly. I think Mauer has a nice bounce back year ahead of him.

If Park, Buxton, Arcia, Rosario are all hitting well, then the easiest and best solution is to trade Plouffe, slide Sano into 3rd base and keep Mauer/Park as your 1B/DH combo.

When I heard that Park had won the equivilent of a 'Gold Glove' in Korea I suspected he won his Gold Gloves like Jeter won his, he was just a popular player (only one of those years was Jeter a top 10 SS).

However, it sounds as if the guy can really play well.

I am anxious to see him there from time to time. By the end of the season he may be splitting time with Mauer fairly evenly.

I can't see Arcia taking at bats away from Mauer. For one thing, i think Mauer outperforms him significantly. I think Mauer has a nice bounce back year ahead of him.

If Park, Buxton, Arcia, Rosario are all hitting well, then the easiest and best solution is to trade Plouffe, slide Sano into 3rd base and keep Mauer/Park as your 1B/DH combo.

Of the players involved in our logjam I agree that Plouffe is the one I'd trade except for one thing. It's well-documented that the market for third basemen these days is a buyer's market. It's very unlikely we'd get a good return in a trade involving Plouffe. Unfortunate and inconvenient but that's why we have this problem.

Provisional Member

Only way Plouffe gets traded is a real contender has 3B injury problems.  

I don't see Park playing a ton at 1B, and besides, if Mauer's hitting singles, that means he's scoring when Sano & Park hit dingers.  2 run HRs are much nicer than Solo shots.

When I heard that Park had won the equivilent of a 'Gold Glove' in Korea I suspected he won his Gold Gloves like Jeter won his, he was just a popular player (only one of those years was Jeter a top 10 SS).

However, it sounds as if the guy can really play well.

I am anxious to see him there from time to time. By the end of the season he may be splitting time with Mauer fairly evenly.

Yeah, Park definitely has talent at 1B defensively, those KBO awards were earned.  His contact and walk rate will determine how much the Twins want to keep him in the lineup because the power is true and translates over

Only way Plouffe gets traded is a real contender has 3B injury problems.  

I don't see Park playing a ton at 1B, and besides, if Mauer's hitting singles, that means he's scoring when Sano & Park hit dingers.  2 run HRs are much nicer than Solo shots.

Boston is starting a career .687 OPS minor leaguer at 3rd base to start the season, perhaps they would be interested in Plouffe in a couple months?

Someone else will inevitably get hurt/be ineffective at the hot corner anyways.

Boston is starting a career .687 OPS minor leaguer at 3rd base to start the season, perhaps they would be interested in Plouffe in a couple months?

Someone else will inevitably get hurt/be ineffective at the hot corner anyways.

Not sure how much merit you can put into the Pablo for Shields talk, but if that happens and Shaw is not playing well I could definitely see this as a landing spot for Plouffe. Maybe a Plouffe/Nolasco for a couple B prospects and they pay some of Ricky's salary.

Sorry to get off subject too much. I haven't seen any games this spring. How has Park looked running the bases? Fairly quick/competent or is he a stick in the mud?

( I know that's not why they signed him, just curious)

Not sure where you are getting "career .687 OPS minor leaguer" -- Shaw has a career .803 OPS in the minors, was .813 last year as a MLB rookie, and .898 this spring.

And they still have "all star" Brock Holt they could shift to the position too, not a star but a career 94 OPS+ (Plouffe 99).

Of the players involved in our logjam I agree that Plouffe is the one I'd trade except for one thing. It's well-documented that the market for third basemen these days is a buyer's market. It's very unlikely we'd get a good return in a trade involving Plouffe. Unfortunate and inconvenient but that's why we have this problem.

yeah, if they're all hitting well though, then I think TR might just bite the bullet and take what he can get.

The flip side is that you have teams like the Mets and Red Sox who hope to contend with real expensive 3B contracts not performing.  The Sox benched Sandoval, and I could see the Mets benching (or at least frequently resting/platooning) Wright if they are in contention and not getting performance.

So what you're positing is benching Mauer's bat for Arcia's.

Given that Mauer had the 2nd highest OBP last season over 666 atbats (vs Arcia's 65 atbats), who's going to be on base when Park and Sano come up to bat? Mauer definitely isn't what he used to be but he's still better at getting on base then anybody else on the roster (except Sano). Will Mauer play 158 games again? No, will he actually be benched for Arcia? Highly doubtful.

To be credited with an RBI somebody has to get the R.

Given that Mauer had the 2nd highest OBP last season over 666 atbats (vs Arcia's 65 atbats), who's going to be on base when Park and Sano come up to bat? Mauer definitely isn't what he used to be but he's still better at getting on base then anybody else on the roster (except Sano). Will Mauer play 158 games again? No, will he actually be benched for Arcia? Highly doubtful.

To be credited with an RBI somebody has to get the R.

I agree with you, Mauer should stay. Did he not hit into the most double plays last year though?

I would love this scenario

I agree with you, Mauer should stay. Did he not hit into the most double plays last year though?

Plouffe had 28, Mauer 22.

My impression from watching him is Mauer is always doing that sort of thing, but his last 4 seasons: 23, 7, 12, 22 and each season had over 500 at bats. What? My eyes were deceiving me?!

Provisional Member

Forget Arcia's at-bats!

How about tis slash line from 2016 ST?

.377 BA / .385 OBP / .557 SLG / .942 OPS 13 RBI and 7 SB.

DANNY SANTANA!!!!

Pretty good OF speed with Rosario, Buxton and Santana!

Are you asking when the Twins will bench Joe Mauer? That's unlikely to happen this season.

Mauer always rebounded when he was approaching the line between tolerable and bad last year.  It won't be about Park it will be about Arcia, and despite the fact basic stats might start to suggest Arcia is a better hitter he has a long ways to go. 

This could be the year Mauer at times slips to the point of getting benched twice a week but he could also easily hit .285 with 15+ HR's and a bunch of doubles, and you just don't take that out of the lineup.

The flip side is that you have teams like the Mets and Red Sox who hope to contend with real expensive 3B contracts not performing.  The Sox benched Sandoval, and I could see the Mets benching (or at least frequently resting/platooning) Wright if they are in contention and not getting performance.

Wright had injury issues, not under-performance.  He never had an OPS+ less than 101.  Last season (albeit shortened by injury) he hit .289/.379/.434 with 128 OPS+ .  I'd love it if Plouffe even approaches those numbers...

The Panda on the other hand is a different story...

What he said. There just isn't a strong market for a guy like Plouffe and it makes no sense to give him away for a low level prospect. Besides, depth is a good thing.  It's very unlikely that all of the affected players will spend the entire year injury free. It's nice to have real major league players as replacements rather than the AAAA players of the past. 

Yup. Look at the Golden State Warriors ... DEPTH = WINS.

I think Plouffe's tradability is more than just as a 3B. He can play 1B, RF, and fill in at any position accept catcher. Not pickin on you Spinowner. Many people on this site refer to the poor 3B market this year as being why we could not find a trade partner. For me, the 3B market is only part of the story. In and of itself, not a plausable singular excuse.

I think Plouffe's tradability is more than just as a 3B. He can play 1B, RF, and fill in at any position accept catcher. Not pickin on you Spinowner. Many people on this site refer to the poor 3B market this year as being why we could not find a trade partner. For me, the 3B market is only part of the story. In and of itself, not a plausable singular excuse.

Except for the part where Trevor Plouffe is actually good at playing third base.

The guy derives much of his value from gloving at the hot corner. Move him to the OF and he's a mediocre bat with subpar defense.

...Which renders him a pretty bad player overall and not worth much...

And we've circled right back to square one.

Except for the part where Trevor Plouffe is actually good at playing third base.

The guy derives much of his value from gloving at the hot corner. Move him to the OF and he's a mediocre bat with subpar defense.

...Which renders him a pretty bad player overall and not worth much...

And we've circled right back to square one.

I get your point Brock. I agree in part. But, you can't argue that position flexability does not enhance value. That part of it is seldom mentioned. That was my point.

Provisional Member

I get your point Brock. I agree in part. But, you can't argue that position flexability does not enhance value. That part of it is seldom mentioned. That was my point.

Plouffe is not a real option at SS, 2B, Cf. I think it's fair to say he's also not a real option in LF or RF either, because if he was he would be playing it on Opening day for the Twins

Archived