Twins Daily
  • Create Account

In a Perfect World

TNLooky2015

Let's say that 2016 is one of the best Spring Trainings ever:

*Arcia hits 5 Bombs and plays adequate defense (for Arcia)

*Rosario is Rosario

*Buxton does a Hicks like version of Spring Training (awesome)

*Kepler hits .350ish with a similar slash line (ala 2015)

*Benson hits .290 and appears healthy

*Mastrioni hits similar to Benson

*Sano hits 6 Bombs (w/2015 slash line #'s) & adequate Def.

*Walker hits 7 Bombs w/improved OBP (.350) and improved Def.

*Vargas hit 4 Bombs and improves his K rate

*Park hits .240 and hits 2 Bombs?  [This is the curve ball in the equation]

Who would be your 4 2016 Outfielders and DH on opening day?

Edited by TNLooky2015

*Arcia hits 7 Bombs and plays adequate defense (for Arcia)

*Rosario is Rosario

*Sano hits 8 Bombs (w/2015 slash line #'s) & adequate Def.

*Walker hits 8 Bombs w/improved OBP (.350) and improved Def.

OF: Arcia, Buxton, Rosario, Benson

3B: Sano

DH: Park

Traded for RP: Plouffe

*Arcia hits 5 Bombs and plays adequate defense (for Arcia)

*Rosario is Rosario

*Sano hits 6 Bombs (w/2015 slash line #'s) & adequate Def.

*Walker hits 7 Bombs w/improved OBP (.350) and improved Def.

*Vargas hit 4 Bombs and improves his K rate

Left to right: Park, Santana, Sano, Vargas (backup)

DH: Benson

Am I doing this right? ;)

Rosario LF,
Buxton CF
Sano RF
4th OF - Santana (only because I want Kepler to get ABs in AAA for awhile)
Bench Bat - Walker
DH - Park

By the way, Benson, of the .253 minor league career average, would have to hit about .600 for me to stand up and take notice of him and even then he starts in AA or AAA.

Buxton, Kepler and Walker all need further AB's in AAA. The outfield needs to be Arcia, Rosario, and Sano to begin with, and have Santana as backup CF along with either Mastro or Bensen as defensive replacement, 4th outfielder. Park at DH. Vargas still has an option, so he could go down to AAA, or stay up as a bench bat. I know that is not ideal defensively, but they can play mix and match depending on circumstances.

LF- Arcia

CF- Rosario

RF- Sano

4th- Santana

DH Park

Unless Bryant wins his lawsuit, there's really no doubting that keeping Buxton and Kepler down is the only realistic move.  Basically every other rookie has dealt with this.  Hicks was rushed and failed.  Mauer was rushed, got hurt, and the lost year of team control cost us oh probably $45 mil for an additional year.

I'd also note that the above line-up has a distinct possibility of failing.  But I'd be willing to give it a shot for a couple weeks with Santana rotating into center until Buxton arrives.  By this point, hopefully Kepler is the top available prospect in the trade market and we can choose which ace we'd like to flip him for well before the trade deadline.

Buxton, Kepler and Walker all need further AB's in AAA. The outfield needs to be Arcia, Rosario, and Sano to begin with, and have Santana as backup CF along with either Mastro or Bensen as defensive replacement, 4th outfielder. Park at DH. Vargas still has an option, so he could go down to AAA, or stay up as a bench bat. I know that is not ideal defensively, but they can play mix and match depending on circumstances.

Not trying to start an argument, but who was the last prospect to show a benefit from getting AAA ABs and what happened to them shortly thereafter?  Truly curious.  I know that's the traditional thing to do, but who in the system has truly benefited in recent memory?  Colabello? Arcia? Vargas? Santana? Parmelee? Benson?  Mastranoni?  -  Just being the devils advocate here.  I'm talking Twins system only.

I think all of them need MLB ABs to understand MLB pitching.  Not see saw reps at both (AAA / MLB) when they faulter.  Hasn't helped.  Curious what they do with Sano if he faulters like Arcia did last year?  (not likely, but what if?)

Edited by GMinTraining

Not trying to start an argument, but who was the last prospect to show a benefit from getting AAA ABs and what happened to them shortly thereafter?  Truly curious.  I know that's the traditional thing to do, but who in the system has truly benefited in recent memory?  Colabello? Arcia? Vargas? Santana? Parmelee? Benson?  Mastranoni?  -  Just being the devils advocate here.  I'm talking Twins system only.

I think all of them need MLB ABs to understand MLB pitching.  Not see saw reps at both (AAA / MLB) when they faulter.  Hasn't helped.  Curious what they do with Sano if he faulters like Arcia did last year?  (not likely, but what if?)

Just look at what Buxton did in his few AAA at bats last season. These guys usually need to have that kind of success at that level for a while to build their confidence before getting to MLB, where they see nothing but the best pitchers. Kepler and Walker have seen no AAA, and Walker is not close to being ready. Sure they will need to see MLB pitching at some point this season, but give them a half season at Rochester.

My 4 outfielders would be Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, and Walker. Arcia at DH. Since this is the perfect world we would get amazing trade offers for Plouffe and Mauer during spring training as well. This allows me to put Sano at 3rd and Vargas at 1st. I have no problem wit Park starting out in AAA if he gets outperformed in spring training. Jung Ho Kang started out last year in the minors.

Just look at what Buxton did in his few AAA at bats last season. These guys usually need to have that kind of success at that level for a while to build their confidence before getting to MLB, where they see nothing but the best pitchers. Kepler and Walker have seen no AAA, and Walker is not close to being ready. Sure they will need to see MLB pitching at some point this season, but give them a half season at Rochester.

Did Buck play better in his return to MLB because of AAA success?  I'm asking which of these guys has flourished from that AAA success.   Name somebody????????????  I will agree to disagree :)

Edited by GMinTraining

The answer doesn't match the question :).   Traded Plouffe and inserted Sano and would play Park despite poor spring training showing.   :)

What if Plouffe stays and Park plays poorly in spring training? (original question)

Then start Park in AAA, but Plouffe should be traded ASAP, and either he brings back a RP that can help now (or a B or B- prospect) or they use that money to sign a legit RP as well.

I highly, highly doubt they just signed Park to start in AAA though, he has a higher bat upside then Plouffe anyways, and is pretty much penciled in for DH regardless. The easiest solution is trading the averaeg 3B plouffe.

Why does everyone want to get rid of the best run producer on the team last year?  I agree with Ryan.  Makes no sense.  It's not like many of the other options were close either in run production (excluding Sano).  Can't score - Can't win.  Next we will be blasting the pitching for not holding teams to 3 runs because we can only score 2.

Why does everyone want to get rid of the best run producer on the team last year?  I agree with Ryan.  Makes no sense.  It's not like many of the other options were close either in run production (excluding Sano).  Can't score - Can't win.  Next we will be blasting the pitching for not holding teams to 3 runs because we can only score 2.

Because Dave is right.  Putting Sano at 3B and either Kepler or Arcia in his place in the OF + the return on Pluffe is a significant net gain to the team.  We improve offensively, probably defensively, and in the bullpen.  Plouffe produced the most runs because he hit in the middle of the lineup and played 3 months more than Sano.  A full season of Sano + Park and eventually Kepler not to mention the improvement we expect from Buxton and this is an entirely different offensive team.

Because Dave is right.  Putting Sano at 3B and either Kepler or Arcia in his place in the OF + the return on Pluffe is a significant net gain to the team.  We improve offensively, probably defensively, and in the bullpen.  Plouffe produced the most runs because he hit in the middle of the lineup and played 3 months more than Sano.  A full season of Sano + Park and eventually Kepler not to mention the improvement we expect from Buxton and this is an entirely different offensive team.

I agree totally, and add that staying where we were last year, will not make up the difference needed to be a legitimate contender. This is not a knock on Plouffe, it's a realization that if we can't go forward from last year, then we are going to be mired in mediocrity yet again! Would these moves be an absolute? No! But the alternative is!