• Create Account

What is TR thinking

BullDozier2

Having given this some thought myself, I've come to the conclusion TR is thinking " ok, Parker, as you walked out from the handbook interview, you jokingly asked me to help drive up offseason traffic at Twins Daily. How am I doing so far?"

Lol ... post of the day! Of course since it is 12:30am my time, everyone has 23.5 hrs to top that. ;)

I am fed up with this guy. He is honestly the worst GM in baseball. I don't understand why he is so attached to Plouffe that he is serious about moving out most valuable player to a position that he has never played before (which will be a disaster in my opinion) Trading Plouffe and a couple prospects could get us a decent return (I was thinking a Plouffe/Hicks/prospects package to the Brewers for Lucroy would be excellent trade). It makes total sense but Terry for some odd reason thinks that Plouffe is essential to this team. Sano plays third, Plouffe gets traded. Its as simple as that. I don't understand why he is sacrificing our amazing outfield defense to make room for Plouffe to stay on the team hit into more double plays 

1) either way they are hurting the defense. Plouffe is a much better 3rd baseman, and our OF is better than Sano so that point cancels out.

2)The Worst GM in baseball just traded Chris Herrmann for possibly a safer version of Adam Walker.

3)The Brewers don't want Plouffe, if they are rebuilding they will want pieces like Kepler/Berrios/Polanco not a 29 year old slightly above average third baseman.

4)You don't have to trade him. He's been healthy and a consistent producer for 3 years, It's been a year since Mauer got hurt... That means he's almost bound to spend some time on the DL. 

Plouffe is a great guy that you can use as a super utility. when Miguel has hamstring soreness we would have a reliable back-up. I'm not praising Plouffe, but if i don't get the exact type of deal i want I'm keeping that very valuable super utility.

Edited by jsteve96

also, Byron Buxton is overrated. thinking he's going to be a starter in MLB to open the season is a little much. he did terrible in his stint with the Twins this year, he's played 10 or so games in AAA and he's the kind of guy that takes time to adjust. let him adjust to AAA pitching before you bring him into the MLB. I think he's got a lot of potential but i don't see him having one of the Correa type rookie years, i see him having a slightly better hicks rookie year.

I think TR is trying to upgrade the offense for next year, and trying Sano in the OF gives him the positional flexibilty to do it.  A lot would depend on whether they sign Park and whether they are able to get a suitable trade for Plouffe.  If they sign Park and Plouffe stays, I would say Sano is in the outfield most of the time next year.  If Plouffe is traded, Sano may only play a handful of games there.  It also may mean that the team does not view Sano as a long-term solution at third.

All of these moves seem to idicate that TR is not committing yet to how next year's lineup will look. It's all about keeping options open. 

also, Byron Buxton is overrated. thinking he's going to be a starter in MLB to open the season is a little much. he did terrible in his stint with the Twins this year, he's played 10 or so games in AAA and he's the kind of guy that takes time to adjust. let him adjust to AAA pitching before you bring him into the MLB. I think he's got a lot of potential but i don't see him having one of the Correa type rookie years, i see him having a slightly better hicks rookie year.

In the very recent past, I've had the same thoughts about Buxton.  It wasn't that his PA's and AB's were bad in the MLB,  they were Horrible.  I'm changing my mind a little after the idea with Sano in RF and something Seth said a couple months ago.

According to LEN3, Sano ended the season at +270lbs.  Good Lord!  But it's being addressed:  hopefully under 250.  A starting OF of Rosario in LF, Buxton/Hicks CF and Sano in RF makes sense to me, especially with Buxton covering a lot more ground in CF.  Defensive replacements of either Buxton or Hicks also makes a lot of sense to me: well above average defense from foul line to foul line. 

Seth said a few months ago that Buxton would have value as a MLB CF even if he hit only .250.  meh

But with Sano in RF and another hitter at DH and great defense in CF can easily cover for a .250 hitter.

Buxton still needs a lot of work to become a MLB hitter.

Bit of a stretch don't you think.  How bout 22-25 homeruns and 80-85 rbi.  Not bad but not extraordinary.

Since Lucroy's never hit more than 18 home runs or driven in more than 82 runs and averages 15 & 77 per 162 games I don't think 15 & 80 are unreasonable ceilings for a 30 year old catcher who may be on the downside of his peak.  Of course, now, 2 days later, the whole discussion is moot anyway.

I'm sorry. Have I missed the past three seasons when Aaron Hicks has been horribly frustrating. Yes he turned a corner, but a 20+ home run guy per year? He has just hit that many in his entire career.

We just sold high on a player that has otherwise been a huge disappointment. We gained a catcher, who may not be spectacular, but if he continues to hit .277 consistently that will be a huge upgrade!

Also, regarding needing outfielders: we have lots of strong outfielders, including Buxton, Rosario, Arcia, and potentially Kepler. Outfield is the least of my worries.

The truth is, we still need a true ace (although Berrios might be that guy) and lots of relief pitchers.

He was also coming off of a lost season, and he played much better in the final month of the season. Calling him overrated is a bit ridiculous at this point. Mike Trout didn't play so great in his first stint either.

A slightly better Hicks rookie year would be equal to him performing exactly the same as what he did this year, which is highly unlikely.

Buxton started turning it around at the plate in his limited opportunities toward the end of the season. The problem was that we were in a tight playoff rate, so he didn't get everday playing time. Over his last 36 PA's he hit .275 with an .829 OPS. You say he needs to get acclimated to AAA pitching, but he was tearing up the league when he was down there last year. If he has a good Spring Training no reason to send him to AAA.

So I have read about 60% of the comments here, so if someone else suggested this forgive me.  Has there been any consideration to moving Plouffe to the OF instead of Sano?  I may be hallucinating, but I swear he played at least a few games out there early in his career.  I know it would likely be a downgrade in defense, at least for a few years, at 3B going from Plouffe to Sano, but I imagine Plouffe would handle the OF much better than the hulking Sano.  Buxton in CF, Rosario in LF and Plouffe in RF makes SOME sense, if we're intent on not trading him.  Just a thought.....

So I have read about 60% of the comments here, so if someone else suggested this forgive me. Has there been any consideration to moving Plouffe to the OF instead of Sano? I may be hallucinating, but I swear he played at least a few games out there early in his career. I know it would likely be a downgrade in defense, at least for a few years, at 3B going from Plouffe to Sano, but I imagine Plouffe would handle the OF much better than the hulking Sano. Buxton in CF, Rosario in LF and Plouffe in RF makes SOME sense, if we're intent on not trading him. Just a thought.....

Why do you think Plouffe would be a better OF than Sano? Sano is faster than Plouffe and has a stronger arm.

So I have read about 60% of the comments here, so if someone else suggested this forgive me.  Has there been any consideration to moving Plouffe to the OF instead of Sano?  I may be hallucinating, but I swear he played at least a few games out there early in his career.  I know it would likely be a downgrade in defense, at least for a few years, at 3B going from Plouffe to Sano, but I imagine Plouffe would handle the OF much better than the hulking Sano.  Buxton in CF, Rosario in LF and Plouffe in RF makes SOME sense, if we're intent on not trading him.  Just a thought.....

I think I can run faster than Trevor Plouffe. Plus, he's already solid in the spot he's at.

I'm pretty skeptical about Plouffe's trade value being affected by TR "tricking" other GMs with statements about Sano.

Does anyone really think other GMs are going to up their offer for Plouffe based on that? Or lower their offer?

Edit: what Winston said.

.......and winning the Park bid, and moving Sano to the OF'is not going to increase his leverage for Ploofy, in fact it should decrease it!

I'm pretty skeptical about Plouffe's trade value being affected by TR "tricking" other GMs with statements about Sano.

Does anyone really think other GMs are going to up their offer for Plouffe based on that? Or lower their offer?

Edit: what Winston said.

.......and winning the Park bid, and moving Sano to the OF'is not going to increase his leverage for Ploofy, in fact it should decrease it!

I wouldn't make much out of the posturing about Sano going to the OF. Does anyone really believe that a defense-minded team is going to send a 250-lb kid who has never played the outfield into RF regularly, in a year where they plan on contending, after a brief crash course in winter ball and spring training? It's rather absurd.

At this point, however, TR has no choice but to say it's the plan. It isn't just about subterfuge to gain leverage in trade talks, there's also the matter of Plouffe himself being a fairly tenured player on this roster. You can't just leave your guy sitting in limbo like that.

Bill Clinton, like him or hate him, is fond of saying "it's the arithmetic"! And the arithmetic shows 4 players, Mauer, Sano, Ploofy, and Park for 3 spots. I think Park and some of our Canadien readers would need to do the math metrically, but it still don't come out. One of them is going to RF, the bench or the airport!

He made a move for a catcher. AJ is out of the mix. It looks another may be about to sign. And he proibably pretty much knows where he stood in the Weiters hunt. Hicks was a good and interesting move. Yes, in a couple years some may be mad (as they were with Gomez, and even a few with Revere), but we will have to look at salary, the overall picture, and where the Twins stand. If anything, Plouffe can still standout as a LF. Plouffe has arbitration salary issues this year and next. Whatever his worth is as a trade, you also have to look at what he will cost dwn the road (and the Twins have to, too. Is he worth $30 million over 3 years, basically, to be a solid member of a team). What I will be more mad is if he starts giving 40-man spots to folks like Nunez, Boyer and Duensing (if you can sign the guys as a minor league free agent, do so). Make them earn that roster spot come spring. But, in the end, you also have to keep in the back-of-your-mind who you can jettison to add a "one year wonder." Or use the 60-day DL, I guess...Nolasco could stub a toe, perhaps?

.......and winning the Park bid, and moving Sano to the OF'is not going to increase his leverage for Ploofy, in fact it should decrease it! Bill Clinton, like him or hate him, is fond of saying "it's the arithmetic"! And the arithmetic shows 4 players, Mauer, Sano, Ploofy, and Park for 3 spots. I think Park and some of our Canadien readers would need to do the math metrically, but it still don't come out. One of them is going to RF, the bench or the airport!

One to fly to a major league team, one fly to a minor league team, one to fly to Ft. Myers and a whirlpool tub, the 4th is punished and stays in Minneapolis.

He was also coming off of a lost season, and he played much better in the final month of the season. Calling him overrated is a bit ridiculous at this point. Mike Trout didn't play so great in his first stint either.

A slightly better Hicks rookie year would be equal to him performing exactly the same as what he did this year, which is highly unlikely.

how is he not overrated? you really think he should be ahead of Seager or Urias? those two guys are gonna be way better than him.. we already saw Lindor, Correa, and Sano players who were all behind him outplay him by quite a bit

how is he not overrated? you really think he should be ahead of Seager or Urias? those two guys are gonna be way better than him.. we already saw Lindor, Correa, and Sano players who were all behind him outplay him by quite a bit

Considering Buxton and Seager basically have the same minor league numbers, combined with Buxton's elite speed and defense, I for sure would take him over Seager. Imagine where Buxton would be right now if he hadn't had all of these fluke injuries.

Considering Buxton and Seager basically have the same minor league numbers, combined with Buxton's elite speed and defense, I for sure would take him over Seager. Imagine where Buxton would be right now if he hadn't had all of these fluke injuries.

Seager dominated in MLB in his stint there

Why do you think Plouffe would be a better OF than Sano? Sano is faster than Plouffe and has a stronger arm.

I don't.  The thinking is that Sano is a possible fixture at 3b for the next decade, so why not keep him there and move the guy who is most likely to be traded or leave via FA in '17 anyway.  And that's all IF we're intent on not trading Plouffe.