• Create Account

Twins just one back

twinsnorth49

At this point the Twins don't control their own density so you have to hope Texas loses. 

Yes, they do! If Texas keeps winning they pass the Astros. It is guaranteed that one of the two West Division teams will lose more games than the Twins have lost at this point.

Texas or Houston loses. Only a game and half game lead but it just seems like Houston is the much better team.

You're quite the optimist I see, perhaps your glass needs topping up?

Texas may have a more favorable schedule but the Twins taking 2 out of 3 in KC and the Rangers getting shutout in back to back games against the Mariners probably wasn't in the cards either was it?

The games need to be played for a reason.

Texas or Houston loses. Only a game and half game lead but it just seems like Houston is the much better team.

Houston is a lot like the Twins, pretty young and pretty inconsistent (Not so much with pitching, but with the bats that are hot as hell, or ice cold)

One of them is due to "fade" a bit, if the Twins keep winning series, they should be in good enough shape.

You're quite the optimist I see, perhaps your glass needs topping up?

Texas may have a more favorable schedule but the Twins taking 2 out of 3 in KC and the Rangers getting shutout in back to back games against the Mariners probably wasn't in the cards either was it?
The games need to be played for a reason.

Yeah, that's the whole thing, the Mariners at a glance are a "bad team" due to their record, but these last two games they tossed out Walker (a guy who has dominant stuff but lacks consistency) and Felix (easily one of the best 5 pitchers in baseball year in and year out overall), additionally they have who should actually be the MVP this year in Nelson Cruz (and he actually ended up missing the whole series!)

I believe the Mariners were likely "favored" in both games, so going into that series it was more than likely a split would happen vs any other outcome (even with the M's being so many more games behind in the standings, a lot of which had to do with injuries and Fernando Rodney)

The Rangers now play Oakland, another team with a bad record, but a slightly deeper look shows they have just been pretty damn unlucky. Oakland winning 1 or 2 games isn't a reach. 4 vs the Astros (good team) and 3 against Seattle where they will end up facing Walker and Felix again. Sure, they could get on fire and win 8 of 10, but in reality 6 of ten is much more likely, which means the Twins just need to match that (or beat that) which they are more than capable of.

Houston is a lot like the Twins, pretty young and pretty inconsistent (Not so much with pitching, but with the bats that are hot as hell, or ice cold)

One of them is due to "fade" a bit, if the Twins keep winning series, they should be in good enough shape.

You're right about the Astros. They've played around .500 ball since early June. To their credit they've been a little better since the All-Star break. Also worth mentioning they didn't have the fall the Twins had.

Edited by Pius Jefferson

It wasn't Walker that beat Texas before Felix, it was Vidal Nuno. Secondly, it seems to me that road non-contenders in September seem to roll over pretty often. Texas plays two teams that are out of it on their homestand, and I'll be surprised if either team wins more than one game in Arlington.

the twins play Detroit (non contender) Chicago (non contender), Cleveland (non contender), Detroit again (non contender), and KC who will have zero to play for.

The only team they play that is playing for something is the Angels.

the twins play Detroit (non contender) Chicago (non contender), Cleveland (non contender), Detroit again (non contender), and KC who will have zero to play for.

The only team they play that is playing for something is the Angels.

Cleveland is a game behind the Angels, 3 behind the Twins.

Twins need to dominate Chicago and Detroit if they want to make the playoffs. 7-2.

Cleveland is a game behind the Angels, 3 behind the Twins.

Twins need to dominate Chicago and Detroit if they want to make the playoffs. 7-2.

There are 23 games left! You're right about Cleveland (I think). They're going to fight pretty hard.

It's also tough to have guys lay down against division opponents. I don't think any of the games going forward will be a cakewalk.

If the Twins continue to grind it out and win each series I'll be pretty happy, no matter what Texas and Houston do. We have a lot of young guys playing and to see them fight to the end would be very encouraging. That's a very strong finish to the season. 

While I suppose it is technically true that the Twins do in fact control their own destiny since Texas and Houston play each other 7 times, I also would like to point out that if the Twins had managed to go 23-0 in their remaining games and failed to make the playoffs (with 95 wins) that would be really, truly amazing.

The reality is the Twins can go 22-1 (finishing with 68 losses) and still control their own destiny, as one of Houston or Texas is guaranteed to have 69 losses.

I'll let y'all decide which game you want them to lose.