Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Who's your favorite Twin in 2014

Paul Pleiss

Oswaldo Arcia. I like my players to have a little energy (life / passion) at the plate. Nothing drives me crazy like a player looking a strike three then just slowly walking back to the dugout with their head hanging. Arcia has that energy - yesterday during the 9th inning, Arcia looked furious at the plate. Almost a "I DARE you to throw it to me" look (While he softly grounded out to end the at bat, I still appreciate the effort).

It's the same reason I like watching Deduno pitch. The energy and the "just try to hit this" aggression are refreshing to see.

Hicks and Arcia for me with a splash of Josmil Pinto.

I love watching the up & comers that have a zeal for the game.

with that being said, I just may actively root AGAINST the Jasons. I can't stand Kubel and Bartlett offers nothing exciting or useful to the team.

Brian Dozier is probably my favorite Twin and I am also a big Duensing fan because he is a fellow University of Nebraska alumnus.

Also have always liked Kurt Suzuki for some reason (fantasy baseball sentimentality I think) so I was really excited when the Twins acquired him this off season.

CF has always been my favorite position (i.e. the "if I was a big leaguer I'd want to be a..."), so when we have someone there to get excited about, he's probably my guy. Puckett, Hunter, Span, I even tried to root for GoGo. Last year's venture into Clete Thomas territory was killing me.

So yeah, this year it's Hicks.

It used to be easy for me. I never really had to think about it. When I was little my favorite player was Kirby Puckett. Puck retired after the 95 season and I got away from the game a bit while I was growing up. Radke was my favorite, but I wasn't close to the game. And as I got older, and came back to baseball as an adult, I fell in love again; Michael Cuddyer was my favorite Twin, year after year from 2004 until his departure following 2011. #5. And then he was gone.

In the years since Cuddy has been out of Minnesota, it's been hard for me to settle on a favorite player. in 2012 I was all excited about Brian Dozier and that silky smooth head of hair, but I soured on him a bit, even after he moved over to the right side of the infield and started showing some skills with his bat. I've never been a Joe Mauer guy, and as much as I like Glen Perkins, it's hard for me to get excited about and latch onto a relief pitcher. In 2013 I again put my faith in a young exciting player and Aaron Hicks didn't do much to keep my affections (I am, however, still a big Aaron Hicks fan, i expect big things from him in 2014).

This season I've settled on Mike Pelfrey. I can't explain it. I'm excited for Big Pelf. He's like a miniature sasquatch. I want him to do well. I like how quick he's been pitching this spring, and I just feel like I can compell him to do well in 2014.

Who's your favorite this season?

When I saw your thread title, one name immediately came to me, and I thought to myself no one would have him. But you picked my guy. Pelfrey is my favorite guy on the team...just seems to have a great personality. As a guy who has played ball his whole life (still playing at 63!), I still get a little nervous when I watch very tall and somewhat wild right handers on the mound, and I suspect a lot of hitters don't like to dig in against him. I think he is poised for a big year, now that he is recovered from TJ surgery.

I also love watching Deduno pitch.

Love Arcia's personality. Love Colabello's perseverance. Love Pinto's sleeper aspect. Love Hicks' shot at redemption. Love Gibson's chance to be a real part of the future. I even love good old Joe, vanilla as ever.

There's a lot to love with this team, scoreboard be damned.

Jason Kubel.

When my scruffy bearded brother from another mother left after 2011, I was bummed.

I thought his 2009 season was the beginning of something pretty swell, and then Target Field happened and got into his head and he left for greener hitting pastures.

I did not think I would be as pleased as I am to have Kubel back in the fold.

The 2nd time around is a charm - go drill some doubles off the RF wall and hit a few over the granite. It's good to have you back.

Love Arcia's personality. Love Colabello's perseverance. Love Pinto's sleeper aspect. Love Hicks' shot at redemption. Love Gibson's chance to be a real part of the future. I even love good old Joe, vanilla as ever.

There's a lot to love with this team, scoreboard be damned.

This is 100% how I feel! Every word.