Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account
  • entries
    15
  • comments
    89
  • views
    32,720

Edgar Quero- A Catching Prospect Target


Doctor Gast

1,223 views

 Share

Twins Video

For some time now I've advocated to trade for a very good catching prospect because our cupboards are bare and I don't see Jeffers as very good catcher who I want to start on any frequency. Last year I advocated for Endy Rodriguez (PIT) who will debut this season, who we could have picked up cheap because they had the '21 #1 draft pick, catcher Henry Davis and he was behind him. Now Endy's talent is very well known and has become very expensive and has leaped frog over Davis. 

I have a new target, Edgar Quero, 19 yrs. (LAA) catcher, who was in A ball. Here are a couple sites that evaluated Quero. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbq99OPGLE8&t=14s

"Scout to Statline" is very high on Quero, They rated him #2 behind Alvarez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_70-LN4HwY&t=389s

"Locked ON MLB Prospects" gives us some insights on his defense. Which were impressed with how he works with pitchers & how to call a game. He had a good CS ratio although he has  slightly above average arm. Being only 19 his physical development is still going on where he can develop more arm strength & more power. Quero should start in High A ball this season and IMO could reach AAA by the end. In '24 I believe he could debut.

Quero is just starting to be recognized. If we respond soon, we can still get him pretty reasonable. LAA has O'Hoppe who'll debut this year and is ranked very high as a catcher by all. We should come up with a trade that interests LAA to make this happen. What do you think?

 Share

12 Comments


Recommended Comments

It seems to me that there have been large group of pretty good catchers out there. Composed of starters, younger starters, MLB ready prospects & prospects; many have 2 or 3 in their system. Last year we had none. Now we got Vazquez with Jeffers and nobody in the wings. After Vazquez is gone, we have Jeffers (which I've not seen him as a starter) for 1 year. IMO we are wasting our time of Vazquez mentoring on Jeffers.

My point we need someone who can step in & do great for years after Vazquez leaves, which isn't Jeffers. So we need a very good soon to be MLB catching prospect last year. The longer we wait to get someone, the worse we'll be sitting coming '26.

Link to comment

Good question terrydactyls. Like I said that they have O'Hoppe which makes Quero available. So we need to know what LAA's needs are to compensate them.

LAA although they have O'Hoppe but he's basically a rookie this year and they don't have a very good catcher to tandem with him. So they might like Jeffers plus Henriquez.

Or they could use a LH bat OF like Kepler (his stock is rising) with maybe Paddack.

It seems like LAA always need pitching so we could trade maybe Mahle straight up (less likely) or Winder & Paddack.

These are some example of trade that could be offered assuming they are planning to compete.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Doctor Gast said:

Good question terrydactyls. Like I said that they have O'Hoppe which makes Quero available. So we need to know what LAA's needs are to compensate them.

LAA although they have O'Hoppe but he's basically a rookie this year and they don't have a very good catcher to tandem with him. So they might like Jeffers plus Henriquez.

Or they could use a LH bat OF like Kepler (his stock is rising) with maybe Paddack.

It seems like LAA always need pitching so we could trade maybe Mahle straight up (less likely) or Winder & Paddack.

These are some example of trade that could be offered assuming they are planning to compete.

The Angels plan to compete every year but they don't know how to do it.

Link to comment

I don’t believe any real catching prospect is cheap. Teams need two good catchers and at least one other that is major league ready. They aren’t going to easily trade that depth. If Rodriguez could have been picked up cheap last year someone would have picked him up.

Quero is probably the Angels third most valuable minor league prospect. The Twins third most valuable minor league prospect might be Rodriguez or Julien. The Twins wouldn’t let any other team cheaply pick them up.

The Twins do need young catching and should be willing to pay up to get it. Quero is worth pursuing but it might take Julien.

 

Link to comment

As mentioned above, the price for a legit catching prospect would be steep. The combo of Vazquez and Jeffers will be above major league average, but the depth behind that is not replacement level IMHO. 

If the Twins can acquire a great prospect, sure go for it, but with Vazquez providing a three-year window, it might be better to develop their own prospect.

Link to comment
19 hours ago, terrydactyls said:

The Angels plan to compete every year but they don't know how to do it.

How can you NOT compete with possibly the two best everyday players - one of whom is also a legit ace starter???

Link to comment
20 hours ago, jorgenswest said:

I don’t believe any real catching prospect is cheap. Teams need two good catchers and at least one other that is major league ready. They aren’t going to easily trade that depth. If Rodriguez could have been picked up cheap last year someone would have picked him up.

Quero is probably the Angels third most valuable minor league prospect. The Twins third most valuable minor league prospect might be Rodriguez or Julien. The Twins wouldn’t let any other team cheaply pick them up.

The Twins do need young catching and should be willing to pay up to get it. Quero is worth pursuing but it might take Julien.

 

MLB ranking of the teams top prospects IMO is based mainly on potential, where where they were pick has a lot of sway. where we see Twin's Prielipp as #4 before he even threw a professional game. But as far as trade value IMO is concerned is based more on production, how established and hype (league chatter). So prospect ranking doesn't always equate to trade value, Our #4 Prielipp & #5 Wallner combined (13.2) would be less than Quero (14.9), according to BTV. While our #3 Rodriguez (22.7) #15 Julien (19.2) is considerably more. So I wouldn't trade either of them 1:1.

I believe PIT always thought that Endy Rodriguez had potential. But their main focus has been Henry Davis whom they invested their #1 overall pick. Although of Rodriguez's talent the main idea has been he'd have him to play another position because of Davis. This time last year Rodriguez was low on PIT top prospect list. Throughout '22  he kept establishing himself from high A to AAA which increased the hype to where he's very expensive.

I believe Quero will start at high A, so he hasn't really established himself yet and the hype has only begun. Last Feb. 3, I put in a trade for Quero, his value was 9.2 it has increased 33% since then. So that's why I'd like a trade as soon as possible. No doubt LAA think that Quero is special but he's blocked and he could be some time before he's MLB ready. Like the discussion here about LAA needs to be competitive now. So if we have any missing pieces for LAA to be so, we need to explore this avenue.

Link to comment
On 3/21/2023 at 2:23 PM, Otaknam said:

Stand pat and focus on the upcoming draft to find a college catcher who could be ready in two years. 

For a college catcher draftee to be MLB in 2 yrs., he needs to be elite. And there's no elite catchers available in this draft. And 2 yrs after the draft, Vazquez will be gone. That leaves one year of Jeffers and hopefully a rookie catcher flying blind makes for a highly inferior back-stop

Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...