I'm back with my thoughts again. I am a Twins fan, but just a very frustrated one. So here we go
- I love the trade deadline moves. A lot of people think the Twins gave up too many prospects in the deals, I think they got Mahle, Lopez, and Fulmer for the right price. They didn't give up any top 5 players in the system and 1 borderline top 100 player in Spencer Steer. They have control of Mahle and Lopez next year also. I like getting proven players that are young and under team control for prospects.
- If any of you follow me on twitter ( @troykell2 ), you may have seen my displeasure for the way Rocco has handled the pitching staff. How Rocco pulls Bundy with a 2 hit shutout going after 65 pitches is beyond me. The bullpen cannot pitch everyday and be expected to be effective.
-Emilio Pagan is still on this team and put into high leverage situations. Nobody knows why. He has been literally the worst relief pitcher in baseball for the last 3 years. Aaron Gleeman put out a great article about him today on The Athletic. I hope it was because of us all asking why he is pitching every time he blew a game.
- Maybe if they kept the starter in the 3rd time through the order more often when they're rolling they wouldn't burn out the bullpen so bad. I think analytics has gone too far in this case and in the long run it would be beneficial to have the starters go 80-90 pitches even to keep the bullpen fresh.
- Miranda has been as clutch of a hitter that they have on the team. The guy has George Brett vibes. I loved how Correa went to management and told them not to trade Miranda. That's leadership even if he wont be back next year.
- The team is due to put up 10+ runs soon. The last time they scored 10+ was June 27th. Since June 1st they have given up 10+ 9 times and scored 10+ only twice. Baseball has a way of evening out for the most part.
- Speaking of evening out, the Twins are owed a win or at least a second chance at a win after the horrific OVERTURNED call against the Blue Jays. I don't really know what Sanchez was supposed to do in that situation other than what he did. I thought it was a textbook play and somehow they overturned it. I'm very glad Rocco stood up for his team like he did, I think that's the most emotion I've seen out of him.
- I still think they're the best team in this division this year. Cleveland would be about 6 games back if Pagan didn't blow 4 against them earlier in the year. Hopefully Rocco has learned his lesson and they go on a run.